Champs camp coverage | Golden Skate

Champs camp coverage

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Ok, so @nakediceblog, whom I follow religiously (LOL) tweeted an AMAZING idea that I think US figure skating should consider: coverage of champs camp! This would be awesome for new fans and would definitely generate interest in the sport leading up to the olympics. Think of it: interviews with those elite who even got invited to champs camp in the first place. Inside scoop on how skaters choose their programs. Those programs that "didn't make the cut " and on the advice of US officials, got put on the cutting room floor. Practice sessions of skaters trying to outdo each other. Drama and intrigue that just goes along with the sport. Etc etc etc......
Good idea?? Great idea!!! Put it on YouTube! Putting it on ice network would do nothing and wouldn't distribute it to a wide audience.

Can anyone get this idea to one of the "higher-ups" please??😊

bevybean

On the Ice
As a fan, I would love to see coverage of Champs camp. As the parent of a young skater, I would love to see coverage of Champs Camp. But I don't know that a wider audience would be interested. Unless you made it like a "reality" show and then it could mess with the actual training. Just my opinion.

sarama

Medalist
I would love to see that, but I'm not sure the skaters would like it. The fun part of Champs Camps wouldn't be as carefree for them, if they felt their every move was scrutinized, and presenting new programs too judges and officials must be already quite stressful. I think that we are so used at seeing people's lives publicly displayed (due to reality tv, vlogs, social media...) that we don't realize that skaters have their right to train without all of us watching and criticizing. That said I'm sure I'd watch the entire coverage of Champs Camps if that ever came reality, but I understand if that doesn't happen.

Barb

Record Breaker
Ok, so @nakediceblog, whom I follow religiously (LOL) tweeted an AMAZING idea that I think US figure skating should consider: coverage of champs camp! This would be awesome for new fans and would definitely generate interest in the sport leading up to the olympics. Think of it: interviews with those elite who even got invited to champs camp in the first place. Inside scoop on how skaters choose their programs. Those programs that "didn't make the cut " and on the advice of US officials, got put on the cutting room floor. Practice sessions of skaters trying to outdo each other. Drama and intrigue that just goes along with the sport. Etc etc etc......
Good idea?? Great idea!!! Put it on YouTube! Putting it on ice network would do nothing and wouldn't distribute it to a wide audience.

Can anyone get this idea to one of the "higher-ups" please??😊

it would be fabulous for us, I would definitely pay to see that :yes:, but poor skaters. They already have enough to have to stand facing the cameras waiting for the results of their rivals.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
it would be fabulous for us, I would definitely pay to see that :yes:, but poor skaters. They already have enough to have to stand facing the cameras waiting for the results of their rivals.

But the problem with US skaters is that they can never stand up to the pressure! Hardly ever! So saying that there would be pressure on them, well, there's even bigger pressure at competition. And there just needs to be a new system for the US. Japan and Russia are producing stars and they're almost always able to perform when the cameras are ready.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Unpopular opinion: There is no need for Champs Camp to be televised or streamed etc, it's not necessary for the fans to see everything.

stella luna

Final Flight
I would love to see that, but I'm not sure the skaters would like it. The fun part of Champs Camps wouldn't be as carefree for them, if they felt their every move was scrutinized, and presenting new programs too judges and officials must be already quite stressful. I think that we are so used at seeing people's lives publicly displayed (due to reality tv, vlogs, social media...) that we don't realize that skaters have their right to train without all of us watching and criticizing. That said I'm sure I'd watch the entire coverage of Champs Camps if that ever came reality, but I understand if that doesn't happen.

I am with you. Champs Camps are part of training, and athletes should be safe from the scrutinizing public eye. Competitors from other countries could view our skaters' programs, too, if they were made public.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But the problem with US skaters is that they can never stand up to the pressure!

*raises an eyebrow* Excuse you?

Unpopular opinion: There is no need for Champs Camp to be televised or streamed etc, it's not necessary for the fans to see everything.

Not such an unpopular opinion, I completely agree with you. Champs Camp is very important (and you'll find a lot of people would probably find most of it really boring - the media training, the nutrition seminars, etc) - and it is also important for skaters to get feedback on their programs.

And in spite of what the OP is trying to claim, the Russians also have closed test skates as well as their open ones. And barring one particularly Queenly lady, their skaters aren't any better at standing up to pressure.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This has come up from time to time (in terms of more information/videos/reality TV/whatever for champs camp) and I think the general consensus has always been that opening up the entire camp would defeat its purpose.

That said, some of the best fluff *ever* has come out of champs camp.

This priceless interview of Jason Brown and the perfect straight man, Grant Hochstein. I crack up every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKHbozZhmQM

Jean-Luc and Kaitlyn lip synching "My Humps":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXz0P7jA1VM

So if we keep getting the fluff, I'm good:agree:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This has come up from time to time (in terms of more information/videos/reality TV/whatever for champs camp) and I think the general consensus has always been that opening up the entire camp would defeat its purpose.

That said, some of the best fluff *ever* has come out of champs camp.

This priceless interview of Jason Brown and the perfect straight man, Grant Hochstein. I crack up every time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKHbozZhmQM

Jean-Luc and Kaitlyn lip synching "My Humps":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXz0P7jA1VM

So if we keep getting the fluff, I'm good:agree:

Champs Camp is where all of that PR/Media fluff stuff is usually done/taped for later in the season, and for immediate social media release in the most recent years, so you will definitely keep getting the fluff.

andromache

Record Breaker
I get both sides as to why/why not it should be televised. But in an Olympic year, I can see how some kind of "Champs Camp Oly Preview" would be nice for the mainstream sports channels to air.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
When does champs camp start?? Will interviews be posted ?
August 19-23. There should be some interviews etc but you are most likely to hear more out of the TEAM USA Media Summit towards the end of September.

Skatingcat

Final Flight
4 years ago, didn't someone have video from Soknikova's post-olympic short program from Champs? Or am I day-dreaming?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is there a chance that Ted Flett will show up and give us live updates from Camp?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
4 years ago, didn't someone have video from Soknikova's post-olympic short program from Champs? Or am I day-dreaming?

Sotnikova wouldn't have been at Champs Camp, since Champs Camp is the USFS camp for the US international skaters...

But yes, there was video from the Russian open test skate, I believe.

Celine

On the Ice
And, ... Russian test skates always seem to be open to an audience, with high quality videos made available.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And, ... Russian test skates always seem to be open to an audience, with high quality videos made available.

This is untrue and incorrect. There are open test skates, where we get fancams. And the Russians do also have closed test skates prior to the season's beginning.

Celine

On the Ice
This is untrue and incorrect. There are open test skates, where we get fancams. And the Russians do also have closed test skates prior to the season's beginning.

I did write "seem to be"
My apologies.

All countries I believe have private "monitoring" session skates that are closed. My comment was solely to contrast my recollection of test skates which included people sitting in the stands watching as an audience would, and video quality which I would rate as above fan can level (2013/14 season) and where videos are posted and not taken down, versus US champs camp where no video is made available, and no 'fans' to post fan cams.