Champs camp coverage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Champs camp coverage

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Again, the open and closed test skates in Russia are two separate events. The USFS only has their closed session, but perhaps that is because by the time we get to the closed session, many of the top skaters have already competed in the summer comps, many of the top ones of which are live streamed and have fancams. You could argue, in a way, that the summer comps in the US are the equivalent of the open test skates in Russia.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Woo-hoo! The Parsons siblings :luv17: are at Champs Camp, as seen in Zach Donohue's Instagram story.

ETA:
Duhhh, pls excuse my over-excitement. Silly me forgot :hopelessness: that they do have one GP assignment (but not two).​

Below (in no particular order) are some names of others not mentioned yet in this thread, but also present and accounted for, one way or the other.

(Many have been mentioned in other GS threads.)

Ashley Cain and Timothy LeDuc
Deanna Stellato and Nate Bartholomay
Nathan Chen (ETA, burning question: Did Nathan bring his dog??)
Karen Chen
Grant Hochstein
Marissa and Mervin
Kaitlin and Jean-Luc

Tarah and Danny are either en route or already there.
Same for Ellie and Alex.
Mariah Bell is en route.

ETA: Others who are expected have not surfaced yet. Emphasis on "yet."​

Alex Johnson :luv17: is training today on ice at the World Arena Ice Hall.
I don't know whether his presence in town is related to Champs Camp or not.
I hope so.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
May someone explain what the Champs Camp is, for those of us (me) relatively new to the scene, please?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's the high intensity and PR camp for the elite figure skaters of TEAM USA. They preview skate and get feedback on their programs, do photo shoots, and team building activities etc...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
It's the high intensity and PR camp for the elite figure skaters of TEAM USA. They preview skate and get feedback on their programs, do photo shoots, and team building activities etc...

Thank you!

frida80

Record Breaker
Class photo for this year from USFS:

Hate to say that I not do see Josh :sad4:. Heartbreaking. Hugs to Josh.

On a more positive note, Ross Miner and Bradie are in the photo. I think they are the only two singles skaters without GP assignments.
(No official announcement re Skate America TBDs, AFAIK.)

The official announcements won't come until September, I think. But both of them we obvious picks. Bradie has the second highest score in Sylvia's list, and won both Broadmoor and Philly International. Ross has the 3rd highest score behind Vincent and Adam and he won Glacier Falls. I know people though Courtney or Polina would get the spot, but USFS went with results. I'm very happy for them both. Especially Bradie since she has those injuries last two years. It gives me hope for my Polina T.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm not okay.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

:sad4: :ghug: :sad4: Hugs to Josh.

The official announcements won't come until September, I think. But both of them we obvious picks. Bradie has the second highest score in Sylvia's list, and won both Broadmoor and Philly International. Ross has the 3rd highest score behind Vincent and Adam and he won Glacier Falls. I know people though Courtney or Polina would get the spot, but USFS went with results. I'm very happy for them both. Especially Bradie since she has those injuries last two years. It gives me hope for my Polina T.

USFS has one pair spot TBD -- and invited two "additional" (for lack of a better word) pairs to Champs Camp.
So the point of my observation was that in the analogous situation of having one men's spot TBD and one ladies spot TBD, USFS invited one (and only one) "additional" man and one (and only one) "additional" lady.

Before assuming anything definitive re Ross and Bradie, I myself will wait for an official announcement (or for the appearance of their names on the USFS assignment list or ISU entry lists). YMMV. If USFS already has made final choices in their cases, I wonder why it has not (as of this writing) committed to its decisions with formal notice in public of that ilk (no matter what it has or has not said privately to Ross and Bradie).
Meanwhile, I have no problem with them being invited to Champs Camp. Esp. happy for Ross, whom I have liked for years.
(I am not among the people who expressed an opinion as to which lady would or should get Skate America.)

ETA:

Forgot to say that I liked the selections of Boitano and Fleming as keynote speakers :yay:.
(Even before it dawned upon me :hopelessness: that they were particularly apt choices this year b/c of their affiliation with Nats in San Jose.)

Amused that the South Park clip of What Would Brian Boitano Do was part of his introduction :laugh:.​

ETA:

If anyone is wondering about the two unfamiliar faces in the class photo:

In a comment on the USFS FB post, Stanley Charles Kimer has identified himself and Susan Frobish as the Champs Camp auction winners who appear in the photo. #CoolPerk :cool:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is Alexei Krasnozhon at this camp? I think he said he was going to remain a Junior internationally but, I was thinking he'd compete as a Senior at Nationals similar to Vincent last year.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Alexei Krasnozhon at this camp? I think he said he was going to remain a Junior internationally but, I was thinking he'd compete as a Senior at Nationals similar to Vincent last year.

AFAIK, the camp is for US competitors who will be going to senior GPs. So Alexei is not at this camp.

Hence the speculation about the participants (Bradie, Ross, Deanna and Nate, Ashley C. and Tim) who have yet to be announced as assigned to senior GPs.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I've just realised how much fun it is to say "Champs' Camp" out loud. This is going to make my day in the office awkward.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Is Champs Camp over already? I feel like the only news we've received is photo shoots, twitter questions, and nothing else, really, 😔
I feel disappointed. Would've been interesting to know what goes on at the camp. Do skaters have to wake up in the morning and report to usfsa officials? Do they do full run-throughs in front of their competitors or just the officials? Etc.

Barb

Record Breaker
Is Champs Camp over already? I feel like the only news we've received is photo shoots, twitter questions, and nothing else, really, 😔
I feel disappointed. Would've been interesting to know what goes on at the camp. Do skaters have to wake up in the morning and report to usfsa officials? Do they do full run-throughs in front of their competitors or just the officials? Etc.

I don´t know but I guess everyone at the camp are allowed to attend, anyway definitely they warm up up at the same time, there were videos in Snapchat showing it.
Tomorrow is the last day.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I would like to know more about champs camp too. How people's programs were received.

I think we may have covered this at the beginning of the thread, but to the best of my knowledge, the "real" work at Champs Camp is confidential. This is the opportunity for skaters to present their programs to officials and judges, to get feedback, and to incorporate (or not) that feedback into their programs. I would consider confidentiality an important, in fact the most important, factor for honest evaluation.

If I were a skater, I would not want my competitors present during the feedback portion. I would want honest and direct feedback from the officials and judges, and IMHO, I would be much more likely to get that in a confidential session.

It would also not make much sense for those critiques to become public, for the same reason. After all, we already have public critiques, they're called summer comps:biggrin:

If a skater chooses to make a portion of their own presentation public, as it appears Mirai did, that is their choice. But it is not a public event.

Except for the fluff, which for the most part I *do* find entertaining....:)