Champs camp coverage | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Champs camp coverage

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For those looking for more Champs camp "news", according to The Skating Lesson, Gracie Gold didn't skate her SP. Also, Lynn Rutherford was there and she's going to be on the next Ice Talk episode and she's going to talk a little about Champs Camp.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
For those looking for more Champs camp "news", according to The Skating Lesson, Gracie Gold didn't skate her SP. Also, Lynn Rutherford was there and she's going to be on the next Ice Talk episode and she's going to talk a little about Champs Camp.

Why be there and then not present the SP? Is she injured? If not, her Champs Camp spot should have been given to Amber, Courtney or Caroline.
I'm sure all of them would have loved the chance to do their SPs and get the feedback.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice

Maybe Gracie and her team have just recently decided to scrap the Barbara SP and pick something else? Last year Ashley got her short re-choreographed during Champs Camp week because Jeff Buttle was in town and she had decided that her first program wasn't working. Though I doubt that Gracie would have trouble with Marina setting aside time for her to choreograph a new program...

frida80

Record Breaker
Why be there and then not present the SP? Is she injured? If not, her Champs Camp spot should have been given to Amber, Courtney or Caroline.
I'm sure all of them would have loved the chance to do their SPs and get the feedback.

It's only for skaters with GP slots. None of them have one. Gracie earned her spot so she goes go Champs Camps. All three ladies have already receive feedback at their monitoring sessions at GF, Philly International, and skate Detroit.

That said, this is distressing. She's not injuries, she just focused on getting herself back into form. Her team probably believes that she can manage to finish the SP and get it settled before the season ends. It's very risky. Even teams that had shaky programs still presented them.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's only for skaters with GP slots. None of them have one. Gracie earned her spot so she goes go Champs Camps. All three ladies have already receive feedback at their monitoring sessions at GF, Philly International, and skate Detroit.

Thanks for the info! But I'm confused because several skaters were invited who don't have GP slots. They included Bradie, who also competed at one of the events you mentioned (Philly?).

I'm glad to hear that the other three did get the monitoring/feedback that is part of Champs Camp, but irked that they didn't get other important aspects of the experience, including the team-building sessions.

It's almost like Gracie showed up mainly for the team picture and interaction with TPTB. If she did just change her SP, she could have at least marked a few sections with music, to give an idea of it. And if it's not far enough along to do even that, she's very behind for the season.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
Thanks for the info! But I'm confused because several skaters were invited who don't have GP slots. They included Bradie, who also competed at one of the events you mentioned (Philly?).

I'm glad to hear that the other three did get the monitoring/feedback that is part of Champs Camp, but irked that they didn't get other important aspects of the experience, including the team-building sessions.

It's almost like Gracie showed up mainly for the team picture and interaction with TPTB. If she did just change her SP, she could have at least marked a few sections with music, to give an idea of it. And if it's not far enough along to do even that, she's very behind for the season.

Well...since TSL specified that she did not present her short program, hopefully that means she did present her long. Though I'm kind of surprised that they are not putting her out there in some type of competition (apparently..) before the Japan Open, unless she will have a Challenger spot before then. I think that she has typically done at least one summer competition. I think the post-Champs Camp article last year was the first reporting that disclosed that Gracie had basically taken the month of July off, so maybe there will be some more information in the articles that appear later this week...also, I think Gracie is doing Sun Valley next weekend or so?

frida80

Record Breaker

Bradie and Nate and Deanna probably have the TBA slot at Skate America. They just haven't announced it yet.

I have thought that it would be nice for all of team USA to get together for a full monitor session or test skates. But I understand why they do this. The GP are a lot more complicated that Challenger series. So more prep is needed.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Bradie and Nate and Deanna probably have the TBA slot at Skate America. They just haven't announced it yet.

But Cain/LeDuc also were there, with no GP assignment. And apparently not in the plans for the Skate America TBA.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
TSL has also reported that Bradie has been given the SA TBA spot... no reports on the others.

Really though, inviting a few more skaters who *might* get a GP spot to Champs Camp does seem logical and wise to me...

frida80

Record Breaker
But Cain/LeDuc also were there, with no GP assignment. And apparently not in the plans for the Skate America TBA.

I think they're next on the GP substitution list. They may have gotten another TBA slot or substitution slot that hasn't been announced yet. Or maybe their doing a skate off because Ashley and Tim haven't competed this summer yet. :think:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Really though, inviting a few more skaters who *might* get a GP spot to Champs Camp does seem logical and wise to me...

Yes, which is why it seems odd that two who are high on the replacement list (Amber and Courtney) did not get invites.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I just hope we get some reports of how she looks at Sun Valley.

I would be so happy to see her land a triple... any triple.

frida80

Record Breaker
TSL has also reported that Bradie has been given the SA TBA spot... no reports on the others.

That is what they did with the team for JW.

andromache

Record Breaker

Maybe it's a money thing?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's this saturday (26th). I'm really curious to see the state of her skating.

I'm really curious to see the "People" SP, if she keeps it. I just can't imagine it, although that doesn't mean much; my imagination works better in other ways, but not that one, particularly. And I'm very much in favor of skaters using music that means something, or speaks to them.