Intriguing characters of skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Intriguing characters of skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding Ashley's comments about her age. I don't think it's about her.. I think she is probably being asked about her age by the press. Maria Butyrskaya was asked the question.. " How much longer do you think you can keep skating" I think Michelle was asked the same thing after she missed the world podium in 2005. Most of you know that I danced for as long as my body would let me because I loved it. Maybe some of these "Older" skaters do it for love. Personally, I don't think they should step aside for the younger generation until they're good and ready to end their careers. Look at Leonova......She won her lone world medal in 2012 and she's still plugging away.

:agree: People who are "tired of Ashley talking about her age" need to listen more closely; she's responding to the questions.

And Ashley has said many times that she's still skating and still competing because she loves it. I'm so happy for you too, mrrice, that you had the gumption to keep dancing because you loved it.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a lot younger back in 1999-2002, but it amazes how OLD I thought Maria Butyrskaya was (I think her whole look contributed to it in that she made herself look like a WOMAN on purpose) and how Kwan was treated as really old at 21.

I know!:laugh:

But on the other hand, I was with some friends right after 2002 Olympics, and one woman said, re: Sarah over Michelle: "I don't care what anyone says, there are things your body can do when you're 16 that it can't do when you're 21."

And this was just a regular person, not an athlete. The age comments are based in fact: the 15 and 16 year old girls Ashley's competing against do have significant physical advantages, plenty of them.

And it's such a double-edged sword, because, like many audiences, I'd much rather see a woman skating with emotional resonance and depth. That's one reason the Glory Days of figure skating were the glory days. When skaters had to spend much more time on edges and actual skating skills as they were coming up, so a 13-year-old wasn't spending all her time practicing jumps.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
A couple more:

Kurt Browning - First to do a quad jump in competition, 4-time World Champion, Olympian. But I remember and admire him most for his many amazing show programs. Like Scott Hamilton, he knows how to take a concept and run with it. One of the masters of fun on ice. :yes:

Philippe Candeloro – Who can forget The Godfather or D'Artagnan? He knew how to entertain us even during competition. And when he did D’Artagnan as a gala at the Olympics, he sat on top of the boards and hugged that lady. The look on her face was priceless! :laugh2: He was so artistically committed to his programs. Not one of my favorite skaters, but memorable nonetheless.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
What an awesome thread! Most of my beloved skaters have already been mentioned, still I'll try to find new ones, or so i hope.
There are two guys that are very special in my mind, Daisuke Takahashi and Stephane Lambiel. They were both amazing in everything they did. Their musicality and figure skating skills were among the best. Need I say more?
Denise Bielmann was ahead of her time, and introduced me to Francis Lai
Sasha Cohen - spirals and spins, wow!
Lucinda Ruh - balletic skating and surreal spins!
And the above mentioned:
Candeloro and Tobel were great as they skated more for the public than for the judges. Maria Butirskaya, beautiful artistry and she proved some people were wrong about her.
And the list goes on..

ssffww

On the Ice
Oh I totally agree- it's a great motivation and its obviously the fuel to her fire. Look at Mariah Carey- after a few lousy performances in recent months, a lot of people are questioning whether she should keep going or not. Her reaction? She'll do whatever the hell she wants. Its a sense of ownership to the fact that she has achieved many milestones and that she has nothing else to prove. Forgot her words? Mic fumbling? Doesn't matter- she's done it all. Go listen to the records.

Ashley needs to be on the same track, as lousy as that example might be, because regardless of whether or not she has achieved her goals of an OGM or whatever, IMO- she should just go do and know that she's done all she can. She doesn't owe the federation anything, she doesn't owe her fans anything apart from putting out satisfying performances that feed her athletic soul.

It is a harsh analysis (I am a Virgo lol) and it is through the same lenses that I view my all time goddess Asada. It is that same fuel that sometimes overcomes Ashley's ability to lay it out all, because when she comes up short, the cycle begins all over again. Plus taking the mantle for skating at a certain age is a bit of a tall order. She's an inspiring person ABSOLUTELY. She just needs to just do and put the sound bytes to rest. Actions speak louder than words after all.

I wish her all the best of course. God knows I would always choose to watch anything she does over anything half the field of ladies put out on the ice.

Peace out!

I totally hear you, but that's easier to do at 47 years of age (Carey) than at 26 (Wagner).

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm back! :) This is a fun thread and I keep thinking of more skaters to add!

Emergence of Chinese Pairs - Bin Yao, who finished last at 3 World Championships and the 1984 Olympics, built Chinese Pairs himself as a coach. There would have been no Shen and Zhao, Pang and Tong, or Zhang and Zhang without him. Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao were China's first World medalists in 1999 and won their first World Title in 2002. They, and Pang and Tong, started out as amazing technicians but were later able to add such amazing artistry to their skating. IIRC, Zhang and Zhang were the first to do a quad twist in competition, and it's hard to forget that epic 4S fall and recovery at the 2006 Olympics. :eek: Shen and Zhao won their OGM in 2010 after 18 years skating together, with Pang and Tong in second. Who could have imagined that in 1984?! Right now, Sui and Han are the latest World Champions and Hongbo Zhao is one of their coaches. Hao Zhang is still skating, and he's a warrior.

Lu Chen - China's first ladies World Champion in 1995, epic battle with Michelle in 1996, 25th in 1997 (didn't qualify for the LP), then came back to win her second OBM in 1998. Her Butterfly Lovers is one of those unforgettable programs for me! :love: Her strong emotional reaction made it 10 times sweeter. Lulu is unforgettable, especially knowing what she had to overcome. She is still China's most successful ladies skater ever.

Dai and Stephane were mentioned already - :agree:

Jeff Buttle - artistry in spades, top of Canadian men's skating until Patrick, OBM in 2006, surprise World Title in 2008, which he decided was the perfect way to end his competitive career. Now he is a well-established choreographer! :rock: He doesn't have to do any jumps and he still leaves you mesmerized. WATCH THIS!!!

Elvis Stojko - 2-time OSM, 3-time World Champion, such a talented jumper. He skated with power. I'll never forget the pain on his face as he left the ice and had to be helped to the K&C in Nagano. A gritty performance, to have that groin injury and skate 2 clean (albeit quadless) programs, to earn that second OSM.

G&G - Need I say more??? Amazing skaters with a love story for the ages. Sergei's death was so unexpected and sad. Among their many unforgettable programs, I'll post Vocalise. And I am in awe of Katia's courage in deciding to do a singles pro career, which started with this tearjerker.

Oksana Baiul - Who can forget her Swan Lake and her happy ugly cry in the K&C after her Olympics LP? Her story is fascinating. And after the Olympics, she turned pro and came to America. Drama seems to follow her. What is she up to these days?

I'll get out of here now, before I think of even MORE skaters. :slink: Threads like this remind me how fun it is to be a longtime fan of figure skating. :yes:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This thread is so great because we can mention the skater/skaters we like for any reason. Here are 2 more of my favorites.

Todd Eldredge......Todd was at Skate America in 1991. I'll find a clip of the pants he was wearing.......He looked Goooood in them. I saw him later in a pair of shorts and he had the best legs I had ever seen. I never met Todd but, I did stalk him in 2001 and he is the nicest skater to the fans. Just sweet as can be, very much like Plushy. Todd is a 4 time National Champion and the World Champion in 1996. It should be noted that Todd also has 3 Silvers and a Bronze Medal from Worlds. He was in the upper levels of figure skating for a decade.

Tonya Kwiatkowski.......Still involved in skating as a commentator. Though her skating didn't reach the heights of her peers Tara and Michelle, she was always in the mix. She got her college education and is the definition of class, grace, and style.

Here's Todd, Yags and Plushy....Talk about a Podium....http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...placed-alexei-of-picture-id51640182?s=594x594

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Barbara Fusar-Poli - For the stare alone. But she's also a World Champion.

Shibs - For their vlogs alone. They were in the shadow of D&W and then C&B, but they kept working. They struggled for a few seasons after their surprise WBM in 2011, but they truly have hit their stride in the last two seasons. An example of perseverance.

Deniss Vasiljevs - Committed to artistry, trains with the amazing Stephane Lambiel (match made in heaven), unique spins that aren't annoying, speaks several languages, draws, loves to learn and loves to have fun. He has such a bright future and I can't wait to see it unfold.

Boyang Jin - China's first men's World medalist. I didn't know a 4Lz could look that easy or be done in combination that well until he did it.

I may or may not be back with more skaters. :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This thread is so great because we can mention the skater/skaters we like for any reason. Here are 2 more of my favorites.

Todd Eldredge......Todd was at Skate America in 1991. I'll find a clip of the pants he was wearing.......He looked Goooood in them. I saw him later in a pair of shorts and he had the best legs I had ever seen. I never met Todd but, I did stalk him in 2001 and he is the nicest skater to the fans. Just sweet as can be, very much like Plushy. Todd is a 4 time National Champion and the World Champion in 1996. It should be noted that Todd also has 3 Silvers and a Bronze Medal from Worlds. He was in the upper levels of figure skating for a decade.

Tonia Kwiatkowski.......Still involved in skating as a commentator. Though her skating didn't reach the heights of her peers Tara and Michelle, she was always in the mix. She got her college education and is definition of class, grace, and style.

Here's Todd, Yags and Plushy....Talk about a Podium....http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...placed-alexei-of-picture-id51640182?s=594x594

Oh, yeah, on all accounts!

Tonia K. was wonderful @ 1998 Worlds. So glad she got to compete there, after the disappointment of not making the US Olympic Team that season. What a way to end her Olympic eligible career!

Todd has a total of 6 world medals 2 bronze (1991, 2001), 3 silver (1995, 1997, 1998) & 1 gold (1996) Great pic of the 1998 podium! BTW, I've seen pics of him in white shorts & golf shorts, and he does look good!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ryan Bradley- showmanship that is almost unseen in today's figure skating world (since the days of Kurt and Scott H), pure entertainment value, huge jumps, and amazing tricks (backflips etc). He gets so much happiness from performing for an audience and knowing that they are loving every minute of it. It's been that way through his competitive and now pro skating years.

For example:

2009 SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl0BskG1ITY

2011 LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wuyy1yYDi4

2015 EWC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M38eciNdcA

SOI 2014: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XP0v9Owv2A

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ryan Bradley- showmanship that is almost unseen in today's figure skating world (since the days of Kurt and Scott H), pure entertainment value, huge jumps, and amazing tricks (backflips etc). He gets so much happiness from performing for an audience and knowing that they are loving every minute of it. It's been that way through his competitive and now pro skating years.

For example:

I was at Nationals in 2011.....You can call it showmanship but, he's straight up Goooood Looooookin'. :dance:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was at Nationals in 2011.....You can call it showmanship but, he's straight up Goooood Looooookin'. :dance:

That makes 2 of us that were there! ;)

He's honestly just got it all: Showmanship, a great sense of humor, a huge heart, amazing feet on ice, and yes good looks. ;)

He's also still pushing himself on the ice landing combo jumps (triples) and combos with triples and backflips (some on one foot) at almost 34 y.o. .:rock:

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
- Frank Carrol for sure!! I know he's not exactly backwards in coming forward :p but I still find him intriguing, imagine if there were a "Dear Diary" discovered one day in which Frank had poured all of his unedited thoughts & feelings of competitions, splits with athletes, thoughts on athletes...what a read that would make!

- Mirai - I wonder how she feels being regarded as the poster child for race relations in skating and the Asian Face of skating in the US. Would also like to know what has really been going on with her over the years to prevent her maintaining her 2010 form. Can't help but wonder whether she is struggling with an illness or something but keeping classily quiet about it instead of throwing a pity party and seeking attention.

Medvedeva- her mindset....my God, if only we could bottle an ounce of her work ethic! Her mental tips & tricks would be life lessons worth their weight in gold.

As for Ashley, I wish skaters, commentators and fans alike would stop fixating on age. When every comment is prefaced by an age remark it detracts immediately from or qualifies the performance & athlete in question. It's just not necessary.
How Ashley herself isn't tired of answering age questions, I have no idea - unless she's just accepted it as part of her "package" and is trying to own it.
I had a poster on here be a troll, assume my age as young and speak rudely to me, and that one instance alone made me want to smack the guy out lol - I credit Ashley with maintaining her grace!!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That makes 2 of us that were there! ;)

He's honestly just got it all: Showmanship, a great sense of humor, a huge heart, amazing feet on ice, and yes good looks. ;)

He's also still pushing himself on the ice landing combo jumps (triples) and combos with triples and backflips (some on one foot) at almost 34 y.o. .:rock:

That makes 3 of us! He is all of those things! :love:

GrandmaCC, re: Ashley, I'm another one who is so tired of the commentators fixating on her "advanced age." They did the same with Todd Eldredge, back in the day (the "elder statesman" during the 20001/2002 Olympic season - 30 @ the time). Hey, they're athletes who have kept up their skills (technically learning new jumps, etc. & artistically), have earned their Olympic/world spots for their team! Let them skate their hearts out & retire from the sport on their own terms! Kudos to Deanna Stellato, in the meantime - what a pleasure to have her back, skating pairs with Nate Bartholomay!

renla

Rinkside

For example:

I've never laughed while watching a skater's routine, but I did while he was getting into position for his 2011 LP. He seems like a great guy. I haven't watched figure skating long enough to know this, but do programs tend to be more serious instead of light hearted? In the performances I've seen I never once saw an audience laugh.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I've never laughed while watching a skater's routine, but I did while he was getting into position for his 2011 LP. He seems like a great guy. I haven't watched figure skating long enough to know this, but do programs tend to be more serious instead of light hearted? In the performances I've seen I never once saw an audience laugh.

2011 was a very interesting year......All 3 medalist had Character driven LP's....Our entire group called Richard Dornbush "Inspector Gadget" but he was actually playing Sherlock Holmes.

I couldn't find his performance from Nationals but here's his performance from the JGPF which he won:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XT82NgCuzo

Here's Ross Miner performing to the soundtrack from Casablanca. He was the Bronze Medalist. He blew a kiss at the judges and even poored himself a drink during his LP.
: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOgpzmj4Lc

There were great LP's by Keegan Messing who played the Hulk. Armin Mahbanoozadeh was also quite good and skated to the Avatar Soundtrack. Jeremy Abbott had an off night and I think was the pewter medalist but, as I said. It was a great final flight of Men and the audience definitely got their monies worth. There were several standing ovations.

Seruleane

Final Flight
I don't know if she was mentioned already, but Oksana Baiul tops my list. Her story sounds like a fairy tale initially- orphan skater raised by coach and coach's son-in-law Olympic gold medalist Victor Petrenko, who goes on to win the Olympics (with my favorite ladies Swan Lake program ever). Her natural stage presence and performance abilities were amazing. Sadly, after some newfound celebrity as a pro skater, I think she had a downward trajectory and I'm sad that she and her coach became estranged. I'm not sure what she is doing now, but I still love watching her Olympic SP and FS, and seeing Petrenko, Gordeeva and Grinkov cheering for her. One of my favorite Olympic moments :love:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Yes, even he tends to laugh/smile a bit when he gets into position (like at the 2011 LP), and yes he's a great guy. That win was made sweeter by the fact that his sister Becky was there at the boards and in the K and C with him for it. Anyway, getting back on topic programs can have humor but there aren't many out there that do them because they have a hard time pulling them off. Ryan and Ricky never had that problem. Currently: Keegan Messing is one to watch for some humor on the competitive side of things.