Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact"

Tavi...

Record Breaker
i don't understand why earlier on, Patrick with 5 quads and his skating style, wasn't good enough to be a medal threat according to your own analysis, but now Jason, with 4 quads is enough. I am puzzled.

Regarding Jason, I appreciate that he is making the efforts needed to get himself competitive. We will see what is indeed landed when it counts. I am curious also about the new music composed specially for him. That could make him stand out for sure.

I really think Skater Boy must just have forgotten to include Patrick on his list.

As big a Jason fan as I am, I won't consider him a medal contender until he's landing those quads in competition.

And I agree that the new FS music sounds intriguing! It's being done by Maxime Rodriguez, though, so I'm praying there won't be any added sound effects..... :slink:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I really think Skater Boy must just have forgotten to include Patrick on his list.

As big a Jason fan as I am, I won't consider him a medal contender until he's landing those quads in competition.

And I agree that the new FS music sounds intriguing! It's being done by Maxime Rodriguez, though, so I'm praying there won't be any added sound effects..... :slink:

OMG NO :scard7:

Re the first part... you are probably right... Maybe an uncanny omission.... but it's surprising considering the usual banter a Chan fan witnesses about 5 quads being not enough...

icetigger

On the Ice
Sorry Jason's technical ceiling in terms of jumps has remained static for the last three or four years. All the above him quadtheletes in that time have gone on to add quads and/or different quads, and some have additional quads that are presumably landed to some degree in practice waiting the wings. Is he suddenly going to start doing 4 quads per competition? No. The height and air time of the quad which he landed but which was underrotated at SA was that of a triple axle; and there is a very noticeable difference between the height and airtime of his "quads" versus Boyang Jin, Nathan Chen and Patrick Chan and Hanyu and even Uno and so on. Beyond that the mentality of Chen- as the top quadthlete- (for example but also in particular, and also with reference to Raf, too) is completely different; Kori Ade is all about the psychology of her competitor and the focus on the psychology of her competitor (i.e. she labours under the myth of a desirable psychological state needs to be constructed and forced for her competitor to compete), and that will always get in the way of Jason being able to land these jumps in competition, whereas Chen just goes out there and does it: it appears to be a completely non-psychological approach. Despite this hype being generated by Jason and his camp, I see a real possibility of him not going to the Olympics; and I certainly won't be buying the 4 quads talk until I see them in competition.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For a starter, I would suggest listening to the following:

Alexander Hamilton
Wait for It
My Shot
The Room Where it Happens

Search on Hamilton and Tony Awards for a performance on stage. In addition, search for some clips from Hamilton at the White House.

Excellent suggestions. Also "The Schuyler Sisters"
performance at the White House. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffjFS_4I8c

I read the book Jason showed in his video about his SP. It's the script of Hamilton, annotated with Lin-Manuel Miranda's notes: what inspired this or that snippet or song; parts that eventually had to be cut, stories about the writing, the people who inspired/helped him, the actors, the production, and THE BOOK that inspired the musical: Ron Chernow's biography, Alexander Hamilton. The annotated book is awesome. I highly recommend it; I know Jason's program will mean more to me because I read it and I know Jason read it.

Reading it gives some context of why the musical has inspired such passion. I love that Jason fought for this music for 2 years.

bevybean

On the Ice
Excellent suggestions. Also "The Schuyler Sisters"
performance at the White House. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ffjFS_4I8c

I read the book Jason showed in his video about his SP. It's the script of Hamilton, annotated with Lin-Manuel Miranda's notes: what inspired this or that snippet or song; parts that eventually had to be cut, stories about the writing, the people who inspired/helped him, the actors, the production, and THE BOOK that inspired the musical: Ron Chernow's biography, Alexander Hamilton. The annotated book is awesome. I highly recommend it; I know Jason's program will mean more to me because I read it and I know Jason read it.

Reading it gives some context of why the musical has inspired such passion. I love that Jason fought for this music for 2 years.

Also, check your local library, they might have a copy of the soundtrack you can check out.

And there are definitely shorter clips on YouTube. Trust me, my daughter has found them all. (I'm not a fan of all the music, but that is due to my personal taste in music rather than a criticism of the music itself)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes! The local library is where I got the annotated script ... with tons of photos, I forgot to mention above. I actually was asking for the Chernow bio, which they didn't have, and they suggested the other book. I grabbed it up.

The other great thing about reading it is that I have trouble catching a lot of the words when listening or watching music, particularly rap. And the words in this musical are simply dynamite.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
These are some great program choices for Jason! +3 for no recycling or warhorses. :agree: Also, he seems like a super fun guy to boot (haven't seen him interviewed before) and I didn't realize his on-ice charisma and personality extends so much to off-ice. :biggrin:

mrrice

Record Breaker
He is landing 4S and 4T in practice. He landed 4T in FS at Skate America last season, but it was called <. He hasn't yet attempted 4S in competition. His goal this season is to include 2 quads in the short and 2 in the long.

He said both programs are very difficult, and that right now he's working on integrating the jumps. It sounds like he will not start off the season with all 4 quads in place - they will be added as season progresses.

I really hope he can stay healthy long enough to get to Nationals. Look, I love Jason and I have for years however, he fell on the only quad he attempted at Worlds and I worry that he'll injure himself going for that many quads. The LP is one thing, it's the 2 quads SP that has me worried. Jason was stalking his 3axel 2 years ago and when he's nervous he still does. I guess he knows that with Nathan, Vincent, Max, the returning Joshua Farris, and NUMEROUS other Senior Men having quads that is now or never. Best of luck to all of them.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
:eek:hwell:. At least someone could tell us what are the most popular songs of the musical? In Youtube all the songs are in a video of more than two hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDZBGoiCrI :slink:

The cast recording is almost the entire show so it's a good way to get to experience the show even if you can't see it. Anyway, I can't say which are the most popular songs, but I can share my favorite ones. A lot of fans have done animations set to the songs to give people a feel of the scene. Here are some of my favorites:

"Non-Stop": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIjJUVuI_B0

It takes place near the top of Act II after the American Revolution and is a duet between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton.

I also love "Satisfied": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pR-PeeRYVc

That is if you don't mind being spoiled with some important plot points. I saw with friends and I kept myself unspoiled as much as I could by not listening to the cast recording or watching too many videos, and I was glad I did.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there a way to watch Hamilton online? I keep reading about it but alas, Broadway is far away from UAE. I'd like to watch it for the context! (And thanks for the interview, the more Jason we get to see, the better!)

:eek:hwell:. At least someone could tell us what are the most popular songs of the musical? In Youtube all the songs are in a video of more than two hours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CDZBGoiCrI :slink:

If you have Spotify, every song is on there under Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording). Since it's a sung through musical, there is basically no dialogue other than the songs, so you can get a good sense listening to the soundtrack. Also, I like to look at the lyrics on Genius, since it has a lot of explanations of the context and notes from Lin Manuel Miranda (the composer and original Alexander Hamilton).

I love My Shot, Right Hand Man, Satisfied, and Non-Stop. Plus I'm a big fan of Jonathan Groff (he plays the King), and all three of his songs are great.

Ender

Match Penalty
Brown can make it to the Olympic. Being a medal threat is another story though. It depends on how other men will do that day as they will have up to 6-7-8 quads in both programs.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, Jason's down-to-earth and positive personality shines in this kind of one-on-one interview (no matter how you feel about his skating, I have yet to hear anyone who has actually met the man say anything other than he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet). But some of the facts that Ted drew out (kudos to Ted) were great:

1. Of course, Jason knows all about quads, knows what he needs to do, and is working as hard as possible to do that. We know that. But Jason also remembers 2014 (paraphrasing) "Everyone told me I'd need a quad to make the Olympic team. I wasn't going to make the Olympic team without a quad. And I didn't have a quad."

2. Maxime Rodriguez was so impressed by Jason's T&I program that *he* reached out to Team Jason to ask if he could compose music specifically for Jason. And the process that Maxime and Rohene are going through with the composition, 90 seconds at a time, was also fascinating.

3. Jason puts enormous amounts of time into learning Rohene's choreography, and it does not come naturally to him. (Sometimes I wonder if some folks think that Jason sashays out on the ice, dances around for a few minutes, ignores quads, and leaves. Of course it says more about folks who would think that, and their knowledge of figure skating, than Jason).

4. Listening to Jason describe the extent of his injury at Nationals, (and Jason does it in response to a question, as he says in the interview, I don't believe in excuses, I believe in putting it all out there on the ice) it is a testament to his strength, grit and stamina as a competitor that he even finished his programs, let alone placed.

And I know diddly boop squat about Hamilton, but I'm now looking forward to the program too:laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i don't understand why earlier on, Patrick with 5 quads and his skating style, wasn't good enough to be a medal threat according to your own analysis, but now Jason, with 4 quads is enough. I am puzzled.

Regarding Jason, I appreciate that he is making the efforts needed to get himself competitive. We will see what is indeed landed when it counts. I am curious also about the new music composed specially for him. That could make him stand out for sure.

I think this is a very reasonable statement and view of things as they stand now.

I'm a "show me" kind of guy. I'm interested in the musical choice. Not a fan of Hamilton, tbh, but I was wrong about Riverdance. We'll see how things shake out, but while I wouldn't call myself a big Jason fan, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested.

If Jason's goal is to "make an impact," there are more ways than one to skin that cat. He has already dazzled U.S. audiences and attracted new fans to figure skating.

I personally will be satisfied if he masters one for-real quad and otherwise skates magically. With his Revolutionary War-style ponytail he will fit right in with Hamilton. :yes:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great interview! He has the plan and a goal and oodles of talent and I truly hope it all comes together for him this season.

GO Jason! :cheer:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really hope he can stay healthy long enough to get to Nationals. Look, I love Jason and I have for years however, he fell on the only quad he attempted at Worlds and I worry that he'll injure himself going for that many quads. The LP is one thing, it's the 2 quads SP that has me worried. Jason was stalking his 3axel 2 years ago and when he's nervous he still does. I guess he knows that with Nathan, Vincent, Max, the returning Joshua Farris, and NUMEROUS other Senior Men having quads that is now or never. Best of luck to all of them.

What about Adam? Is he done? I thought he was healing and returning?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I have so much confidence in Jason. Great music choices. With 4 quads and his skating style and quality he is a medal threat for sure. This sounds so so promising. Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang, Javier and him will duke it out for the medals come olympics. So so exciting. USA could have two men's medallists come olympic podium time.

With 4 quads he might be the next Olympic champion.

But he can't even land one quad toe cleanly in competition, so i'll believe it when i see it.

concorde

Medalist
With 4 quads he might be the next Olympic champion.

But he can't even land one quad toe cleanly in competition, so i'll believe it when i see it.

And remember those 4 quads that everyone is talking about are total between the 2 programs. Now if he had 4 quads just in the long, that would be a different story.