Mikhail Nazarychev moves to the US | Golden Skate

Mikhail Nazarychev moves to the US

LadyB

Record Breaker
Here an interview with Russian pair skater Mikhail Nazarychev, who recently moved to the US.

The interview was published in several individual posts in sports.ru by Maria Velichko and on metaratings.ru by Bella Gaurgashvili. First instalment, scroll up left on the sports.ru page for all posts.

Google translate of al posts:
The bronze medalist of the World Championship among juniors Mikhail Nazarychev told why he broke up with his partner Yulia Artemyeva and left Russia for the USA.

Your life has changed a lot lately. A year ago, you fought with the strongest figure skaters of the country at the Russian Championship, and today you are in Miami, not competing. How did it happen?

Everything is quite simple and logical. Due to the political situation, I ended up in the USA. I stopped feeling safe in my country and wondered what options can be found for security, for a normal life. I managed to find this option.

- Even before leaving for the United States, it became known about the breakup of your couple with Yulia Artemyeva. What caused the breakup?

- There were questions for me as an athlete, probably. But not as an athlete at competitions - I always performed all the elements, the judges and technical controllers marked me in the pair. There were claims to me outside of sports: the fact that I like to admire myself, I conduct quite provocative social networks, and so on. In my opinion, the breakup of the couple occurred because hatred towards me accumulated, because I did not change anything in myself, and my partner had to ride with me and this, apparently, infuriated her.

There were many attempts from outside that we ended our careers in this pair earlier than planned. One day I came to training, and there we had a conversation with my coach Pasha Slyusarenko and with a partner. I was, in fact, put before the fact, saying that we are finishing work in this pair, because no one wants or someone does not want. I was asked my opinion. I said this is taking too long. He said that I also can’t sit all the time, like on a powder keg: sometimes we skate, sometimes we don’t skate, sometimes we want, sometimes we don’t want to.

So, this whole situation lasted quite a long time?

- Yes. It has become commonplace for me that every time something did not suit someone. It just got boring at some point.

- Who specifically announced this decision to you?

- It seems to me that this decision was made collectively: by my coach and partner. They announced. Since this was not the first attempt, there was no surprise. We didn't get along. Julia is more relaxed. Not to say closed. It's just that she will do the job first, and then she can joke, relax. I'm different. I usually do two things at the same time. I can simultaneously perform elements and joke. I don't think one interferes with the other. In my case it is. I’m just like that on my own,” Nazarichev said.

- Did you somehow manage to get in touch with figure skating in the States? What is the fundamental difference between figure skating in our country and in the USA?

- There are no fundamental differences. Of course, I can't compare yet. In Russia I have skated everywhere and all my life, but here I am just starting. But so far everything is basically the same.

- And if we ignore sports, where is it better - in Miami or in Perm? What is the difference between the US and Russia in general?

- A very interesting comparison - Miami and Perm. For the time being, of course, it is better for me to live outside of Russia. I flew somewhere many times and for a long time I understood that I should have left.

The standard of living is fundamentally different. Russia was not even close. Here it would be even more correct to say the rest of Russia, except for Moscow. Because all the money is in Moscow. Once you get out of there, everything becomes very clear.

There are, of course, many good cities. Same Perm. I have nothing against this city. Everything's there. There is a great school of figure skating, there is a wonderful president of the figure skating federation, who does everything for the athletes. But if we are talking about Miami and Perm, then you cannot compare them, - said Nazarychev.

Figure skater Mikhail Nazarychev spoke about the removal of Russian athletes from international competitions.

- Russian figure skaters are deprived of the opportunity to compete at international competitions. How big a blow is this for athletes?

- It's shitty. Although for whom. Maybe someone trains for money. Now the federation is trying to do everything possible so that the first three places in each discipline do not go anywhere, so that they remain in Russia.

Therefore, they organize some kind of internal starts, rename regular competitions into the Russian Grand Prix, thereby trying to compensate for the lack of international starts.

- Can this fully compensate for the lack of international competitions?

- Money - yes. But globally it makes no sense. Yes, you will earn a lot of money, but you will not leave a mark on the ISU records , you will not be able to show your programs to the whole world. In terms of career growth - that's all, the lid of the coffin. In terms of just sitting and making money, this is a great option,” said Nazarichev.

Figure skater Mikhail Nazarychev, who moved to the United States, spoke about the relationship in Russian figure skating.

- In general, according to your recollections, how friendly is the environment in Russian figure skating? Can it even be called like that?

- There is no friendly environment. Of course, there are people who know how to separate sports and personal life, but these are few. There is no true friendship anywhere. Maybe friendship among those who are always on the pedestal, and those who will never be on it, and everyone knows about it. In this case, yes, there can be friendship, because there is no rivalry and no one is jealous of anyone. But friendship among those who constantly share the pedestal is impossible. In figure skating, at least this is not the case.

Of course, there are exceptions everywhere - I do not argue. But there are very few people capable of separating the sport and everything that goes beyond. Sasha Gallyamov, Matvey Yanchenkov, Andrey Filatov from dances could. But in general, it’s often funny to watch how many pretend that they are friends, although there it doesn’t smell like that. Everyone loves to be hypocritical, everyone loves to lie. For some, this seems to be normal.

- You noted that you watched the Russian Championship a little. In general, do you follow what is happening with us in figure skating?

– I sometimes follow the news. When several competitions are held in a row, for the sake of interest I look at what happened.

- Maybe you managed to catch the jumping championship of Russia?

- It was some kind of "unfinished" tournament. I didn't get hooked. There were some very strange comments during the tournament. It was from an organizational point of view that I did not like it. Although the audience was happy. I heard how they squealed, clapped, and this is the most important thing. The overall format is quite good. Although I don't think it was hard to come up with.

Figure skater Mikhail Nazarychev, who paired with Yulia Artemyeva, shared his impressions of working with Eteri Tutberidze.

- Last season you spent a lot of time at Khrustalny. What are your impressions of this place?

- Tutberidze helped us with all sorts of advice about costumes, emotions, appearance, presentation. Also, her whole team worked with us: Sergey Dudakov , Maxim Maxaim Trankov , for which we thank them very much. She has a strong staff.

- What was the main impression on you Eteri Georgievna made?

– The seriousness of intentions – I don’t know how to describe it correctly. This is a great and strong coach with a team in which she has everything under control. Everyone knows their job, their rules, and this is very cool. Discipline is incredible. Even if we compare the children who study with us in Perm and with Eteri Georgievna, it's just heaven and earth.

It is clear that children are children everywhere. But as soon as the training process begins with Tutberidze, these children turn into little professionals. They know the whole routine, all the rules. And it is clear that they need it. Not to parents, not to a coach who forces, but to children. Therefore, such excellent athletes are obtained at the output.

- Many criticize the strict working methods of Eteri Georgievna. Have you noticed something similar?

- There are no strange methods of education. They just have everything on the shelves. How else? Nothing without discipline. If you do whatever you want, then nothing will happen. Yes, from an early age she teaches children that they are athletes, that they are responsible. In my opinion, it's great that she instills this from childhood.

- Some in Russia are condemning the change of sports citizenship. For example, the whole season we have been discussing the possible transition to the US flag of the dance duo of Eteri Tutberidze's daughter Diana Davis and Gleb Smolkin . Have you heard anything about it?

Yes, I heard it, of course. If they want to go, then let them go. Here my opinion does not matter. This is their choice.

– But it would be a good impetus for the development of their careers?

- They have a career and everything is fine. Their coach is Diana's mother. They would feel great in Russia as well,” Nazarychev said.

katymay

Medalist
Here an interview with Russian pair skater Mikhail Nazarychev, who recently moved to the US.

The interview was published in several individual posts in sports.ru by Maria Velichko and on metaratings.ru by Bella Gaurgashvili. First instalment, scroll up left on the sports.ru page for all posts.

The bronze medalist of the World Championship among juniors Mikhail Nazarychev told why he broke up with his partner Yulia Artemyeva and left Russia for the USA.

Your life has changed a lot lately. A year ago, you fought with the strongest figure skaters of the country at the Russian Championship, and today you are in Miami, not competing. How did it happen?

Everything is quite simple and logical. Due to the political situation, I ended up in the USA. I stopped feeling safe in my country and wondered what options can be found for security, for a normal life. I managed to find this option.

- Even before leaving for the United States, it became known about the breakup of your couple with Yulia Artemyeva. What caused the breakup?

- There were questions for me as an athlete, probably. But not as an athlete at competitions - I always performed all the elements, the judges and technical controllers marked me in the pair. There were claims to me outside of sports: the fact that I like to admire myself, I conduct quite provocative social networks, and so on. In my opinion, the breakup of the couple occurred because hatred towards me accumulated, because I did not change anything in myself, and my partner had to ride with me and this, apparently, infuriated her.

There were many attempts from outside that we ended our careers in this pair earlier than planned. One day I came to training, and there we had a conversation with my coach Pasha Slyusarenko and with a partner. I was, in fact, put before the fact, saying that we are finishing work in this pair, because no one wants or someone does not want. I was asked my opinion. I said this is taking too long. He said that I also can’t sit all the time, like on a powder keg: sometimes we skate, sometimes we don’t skate, sometimes we want, sometimes we don’t want to.

- Yes. It has become commonplace for me that every time something did not suit someone. It just got boring at some point.

- It seems to me that this decision was made collectively: by my coach and partner. They announced. Since this was not the first attempt, there was no surprise. We didn't get along. Julia is more relaxed. Not to say closed. It's just that she will do the job first, and then she can joke, relax. I'm different. I usually do two things at the same time. I can simultaneously perform elements and joke. I don't think one interferes with the other. In my case it is. I’m just like that on my own,” Nazarichev said.

- Did you somehow manage to get in touch with figure skating in the States? What is the fundamental difference between figure skating in our country and in the USA?

- There are no fundamental differences. Of course, I can't compare yet. In Russia I have skated everywhere and all my life, but here I am just starting. But so far everything is basically the same.

- And if we ignore sports, where is it better - in Miami or in Perm? What is the difference between the US and Russia in general?

- A very interesting comparison - Miami and Perm. For the time being, of course, it is better for me to live outside of Russia. I flew somewhere many times and for a long time I understood that I should have left.

The standard of living is fundamentally different. Russia was not even close. Here it would be even more correct to say the rest of Russia, except for Moscow. Because all the money is in Moscow. Once you get out of there, everything becomes very clear.

There are, of course, many good cities. Same Perm. I have nothing against this city. Everything's there. There is a great school of figure skating, there is a wonderful president of the figure skating federation, who does everything for the athletes. But if we are talking about Miami and Perm, then you cannot compare them, - said Nazarychev.

Figure skater Mikhail Nazarychev spoke about the removal of Russian athletes from international competitions.

- Russian figure skaters are deprived of the opportunity to compete at international competitions. How big a blow is this for athletes?

- It's shitty. Although for whom. Maybe someone trains for money. Now the federation is trying to do everything possible so that the first three places in each discipline do not go anywhere, so that they remain in Russia.

Therefore, they organize some kind of internal starts, rename regular competitions into the Russian Grand Prix, thereby trying to compensate for the lack of international starts.

- Money - yes. But globally it makes no sense. Yes, you will earn a lot of money, but you will not leave a mark on the ISU records , you will not be able to show your programs to the whole world. In terms of career growth - that's all, the lid of the coffin. In terms of just sitting and making money, this is a great option,” said Nazarichev.

Figure skater Mikhail Nazarychev, who moved to the United States, spoke about the relationship in Russian figure skating.

- In general, according to your recollections, how friendly is the environment in Russian figure skating? Can it even be called like that?

- There is no friendly environment. Of course, there are people who know how to separate sports and personal life, but these are few. There is no true friendship anywhere. Maybe friendship among those who are always on the pedestal, and those who will never be on it, and everyone knows about it. In this case, yes, there can be friendship, because there is no rivalry and no one is jealous of anyone. But friendship among those who constantly share the pedestal is impossible. In figure skating, at least this is not the case.

Of course, there are exceptions everywhere - I do not argue. But there are very few people capable of separating the sport and everything that goes beyond. Sasha Gallyamov, Matvey Yanchenkov, Andrey Filatov from dances could. But in general, it’s often funny to watch how many pretend that they are friends, although there it doesn’t smell like that. Everyone loves to be hypocritical, everyone loves to lie. For some, this seems to be normal.

- You noted that you watched the Russian Championship a little. In general, do you follow what is happening with us in figure skating?

– I sometimes follow the news. When several competitions are held in a row, for the sake of interest I look at what happened.

- It was some kind of "unfinished" tournament. I didn't get hooked. There were some very strange comments during the tournament. It was from an organizational point of view that I did not like it. Although the audience was happy. I heard how they squealed, clapped, and this is the most important thing. The overall format is quite good. Although I don't think it was hard to come up with.

Figure skater Mikhail Nazarychev, who paired with Yulia Artemyeva, shared his impressions of working with Eteri Tutberidze.

- Last season you spent a lot of time at Khrustalny. What are your impressions of this place?

- Tutberidze helped us with all sorts of advice about costumes, emotions, appearance, presentation. Also, her whole team worked with us: Sergey Dudakov , Maxim Maxaim Trankov , for which we thank them very much. She has a strong staff.

– The seriousness of intentions – I don’t know how to describe it correctly. This is a great and strong coach with a team in which she has everything under control. Everyone knows their job, their rules, and this is very cool. Discipline is incredible. Even if we compare the children who study with us in Perm and with Eteri Georgievna, it's just heaven and earth.

It is clear that children are children everywhere. But as soon as the training process begins with Tutberidze, these children turn into little professionals. They know the whole routine, all the rules. And it is clear that they need it. Not to parents, not to a coach who forces, but to children. Therefore, such excellent athletes are obtained at the output.

- Many criticize the strict working methods of Eteri Georgievna. Have you noticed something similar?

- There are no strange methods of education. They just have everything on the shelves. How else? Nothing without discipline. If you do whatever you want, then nothing will happen. Yes, from an early age she teaches children that they are athletes, that they are responsible. In my opinion, it's great that she instills this from childhood.

- Some in Russia are condemning the change of sports citizenship. For example, the whole season we have been discussing the possible transition to the US flag of the dance duo of Eteri Tutberidze's daughter Diana Davis and Gleb Smolkin . Have you heard anything about it?

Yes, I heard it, of course. If they want to go, then let them go. Here my opinion does not matter. This is their choice.

- They have a career and everything is fine. Their coach is Diana's mother. They would feel great in Russia as well,” Nazarychev said.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

I am hoping he will find a partner in States or Canada and I will root for him and his new partner like I haven’t rooted before! God bless, and best of luck to the young athlete.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting. I do not know this young man, but there are more women ice dancers in the US than there are men, and I should think he could find a partner if he is willing to skate for the US. Best of luck to him.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Very interesting. I do not know this young man, but there are more women ice dancers in the US than there are men, and I should think he could find a partner if he is willing to skate for the US. Best of luck to him.
He's a pair skater, but I'm sure there's a lot of female pair skating talent about in the US (or Canada ;)) who are looking for a partner who was earmarked to become World Junior Champ when Covid shut it all down. I'll go with @lariko - whoever he will choose, it'll be one (if not the!) non-Russian pair I'll be routing for in future.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He's a pair skater, but I'm sure there's a lot of female pair skating talent about in the US (or Canada ;)) who are looking for a partner who was earmarked to become World Junior Champ when Covid shut it all down. I'll go with @lariko - whoever he will choose, it'll be one (if not the!) non-Russian pair I'll be routing for in future.

I apologize, I don't know how I read that whole article with mistaking pairs for ice dance:palmf:

But the same principle applies, more women than men, and I hope he finds a suitable partner.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Not just junior! They basically made the cancelled GPF. He is seriously good for a partner who can put up with his personality, whatever his personal flaws might or might not be. Given how young he is and the potential changes to dance and pairs I hope he finds himself. Whatever he does, I am cheering for him and I know that he has made the right choice to leave. It’s frigging scary, but it is the only way to like he said live safe, normal life.

If he skates for Canada, he has a huge fan right out of the gates.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I thought it was unusual how his previous partnership ended so abruptly. Good luck to him! I wish he could have taken Kostiukovich with him, so talented :bed:

I hope he can find a partner soon. Audrey Lu (she didn't retire, right?) and Hailey Kops spring to mind.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
US junior GPF bronze medalist Cayla Smith has split from Andy Deng, right before Nationals.

Unfortunately for pairs girls, but perhaps fortunately for Mikhail, due to the gender imbalance, the possibilities are out there.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
US junior GPF bronze medalist Cayla Deng has split from Andy Smith, right before Nationals.

Unfortunately for pairs girls, but perhaps fortunately for Mikhail, due to the gender imbalance, the possibilities are out there.
She is unlikely to be a good pick for him due to her age.

Sure, Mikhail would have to get released from Russia first (though that should not be a huge problem based on the condescending comments he is already receiving and him not having competed in almost a year by now), but he's 21 (i.e. no longer Jr-eligible) and Cayla is 14 (but for skating purposes, she's essentially 13 - born in the second half of the year) so they'd not be eligible for international competitions for a few seasons. I'm sure that's not what his goal is, so I don't really see him going for it right now.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is unlikely to be a good pick for him due to her age.

Sure, Mikhail would have to get released from Russia first (though that should not be a huge problem based on the condescending comments he is already receiving and him not having competed in almost a year by now), but he's 21 (i.e. no longer Jr-eligible) and Cayla is 14 (but for skating purposes, she's essentially 13 - born in the second half of the year) so they'd not be eligible for international competitions for a few seasons. I'm sure that's not what his goal is, so I don't really see him going for it right now.

That is a good point, I did not realize Cayla was that young and Mikhail was that old (and I mangled Cayla's and Andy's names, which I have since fixed).

But Mikhail could even attract a singles lady who wants to try pairs. If he truly wants to stay in North America (and it sounds as though he does), someone with his skills would generally be sought after.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I hope that if there is a new partnership, it will be revealed soon.
If there is one already, I also hope that to be the case soon.
Otherwise, I'd like him to choose his options carefully. Also, who will be looking after him? I'm sure Eteri gets involved in a way, but in Miami... is Zueva still there? T/M were training with her in Florida.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Exactly what I said, I want him to be a success.
we posted at about the same time :) i didn't see yours while I was writing mine. From reading a bit more about him, the move probably has had its part of drama/trauma. I cannot help but think about who he is leaving behind (family and friends). He sounds like a very strong minded individual and I hope he will be successful at what he ends up doing. But time should be an asset here. He is young. He can have a long career if he does things well.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
you guys are so impatient :) he needs to do try-outs first ;) It sounds like he just arrived in the USA. Give him time :) I would prefer he considers his options very carefully.
No. He left Russia some time ago. We just didn’t know where he was. There are also suggestions that he was moving for a known new partner who was helping him. Which makes for a story that my writer’s mind wants to obsess over.