Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact" | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact"

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
And remember those 4 quads that everyone is talking about are total between the 2 programs. Now if he had 4 quads just in the long, that would be a different story.

oh that changes everything, but still two clean quads in the short program would such an achievement for him.

mintx

On the Ice
Two clean quads in each program plus his artistry and skating skills with plus threes on his spiins and footwork etc. should get him on the O team and in the discussion for a medal.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Virtually all the top men are talking about upping their technical content for the Olympic season so Jason is not alone in that regard, but it's only July so everyone is still optimistic. Let's wait until the Fall and see who is landing what.

LRK

Record Breaker
I think it's a good thing to have optimistic and ambitious goals - that gives them something to aim for.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Umm. I kinda get the feeling that some people commenting in this thread haven't listened to the interview.

For the record, Jason himself does not assume he will make the Olympic Team this year, although he very much hopes to. He's not the one predicting that he'll challenge for an Olympic medal. The title of this thread was chosen by Golden Skate, not Jason.

In fact, in the interview, he said that after losing 6 months to injury in the 2015-16 season, he wasn't even sure he'd be able to come back and be competitive, because in that time, guys went from landing 1-2 quads in a program to 4 or even 5. He also said that after getting injured again this season, he simply couldn't wrap his head around missing Nats for a second year in a row. When his doctors gave him a limited clearance to compete, his goal wasn't to win or risk further injury by pushing too hard, but just to put himself out there, do the best he safely could, and hope that it would be enough to earn a place on the World Team.

As to this year, he said it's the Olympic season, which is about pushing boundaries - and for him that includes doing his best to up his technical content. He will give it his all, so that whether or not he makes the team, he knows he did everything he could and has no regrets. As to the quads, his goal is to do two in the short and two in the free; he lands them in practice, and is working to integrate them into his programs; he needs to be able land them under the pressure of competition.

In other words, he's fully aware of the challenges he's facing and doing everything he can to meet them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

^^^^ This. :agree:

And needless to say, Jason is also not responsible for how posters characterize or don't characterize his statements.

I highly recommend listening to at least part of this interview before commenting, even if you think you don't like Jason or don't care for his skating. I have seen posters (and I'm not specifically referring to anything in this thread, just in general) make so many generalizations about Jason, about his training, about his motivation, even, for heaven's sake, about his desire to win, based on what appears to be nothing but conjecture.

You may learn the conjecture ain't necessarily so;)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
With 4 quads he might be the next Olympic champion.

But he can't even land one quad toe cleanly in competition, so i'll believe it when i see it.

Yikes I apologize. Sometimes I read these posts and when people say he's got 4 quads I think it means he is landing them but I see what you mean. Still his personality and skating skills are going to score big no matter what and moreso in the US. The judges like him and he does have a lovely personality. He has and will make his mark by being Jason.

Ender

Match Penalty
Yikes I apologize. Sometimes I read these posts and when people say he's got 4 quads I think it means he is landing them but I see what you mean. Still his personality and skating skills are going to score big no matter what and moreso in the US. The judges like him and he does have a lovely personality. He has and will make his mark by being Jason.
I think Brown will do enough to be in Olympic team.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Having viewed the programs from Milwaukee, posted on his Fan Fest thread...

I do not like the SP, either music or presentation. It's too "pizzazzy" and has an immature vibe to it.

On the other hand, the LP is a masterpiece in the making. It is stunning. The bones are there for this to become a truly iconic program. It is subtle and complex at the same time. It will be interesting to see if the jump content can be added without spoiling the choreography and mood.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Music can often feel "Too Pizzazzy" when the audience is small. It was the same way with "Riverdance" in the beginning. That music is so powerful that if Jason had a bad performance, the music would have drown him out. If a skater misses a big combination as the music builds, it is devastating to a program. It's still early and if any skater can add Pizzazz to a program, it's Jason.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Having viewed the programs from Milwaukee, posted on his Fan Fest thread...

I do not like the SP, either music or presentation. It's too "pizzazzy" and has an immature vibe to it.

On the other hand, the LP is a masterpiece in the making. It is stunning. The bones are there for this to become a truly iconic program. It is subtle and complex at the same time. It will be interesting to see if the jump content can be added without spoiling the choreography and mood.

For myself, I am content to wait until I see real videos at a later competition to pass true judgments on the programs.

No-one can truly tell anything from a mid-July comp with a dodgy sound system and where the only videos are chopped up poor-quality fancams.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Yes with his contents from the past season i think he should be one of the favourite for the second or third spot in the US Olympic team.

To medal at the Olympics is different because as we saw at Worlds and WTT, the other skaters have so many quads that even such an high second mark can't help him to be in contention for something, so he needs at least one quad in the short and two in the long. (or he could use the 10% bonus more, for example doing one quad toe at the beginning of the program and then all the triples in the second half)

I was surprised to hear 4 quads because if that is the case, his issue with quads might be just a lack of confidence after all.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Many thx to Ted for this great interview. Jason has to be a fun guy to interview! Also Ted has a way of putting people at ease. I didn't plan on watching the entire interview in one sitting, but the hour just flew by! These first glimpses of the new programs are really promising.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
For myself, I am content to wait until I see real videos at a later competition to pass true judgments on the programs.

No-one can truly tell anything from a mid-July comp with a dodgy sound system and where the only videos are chopped up poor-quality fancams.

I agree with you, but I'm surprising myself by really falling in love with the FS music.

Plisskin

Medalist
^ That step sequence in the second vid is gorgeous. Everyone loves last season's LP but I was never that into it. But that right there is a masterpiece in the making.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I absolutely love the music and I love Jason's skating......However, it's the jumps that have, and will worry me until he does them on a consistent basis. Once you miss your first 2 opening passes, it is uphill battle. He will need those opening passes or he will not do well in the deep field of the US Men. I realize it's early but, I remain skeptical of Jason landing multiple quads in his programs.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I absolutely love the music and I love Jason's skating......However, it's the jumps that have, and will worry me until he does them on a consistent basis. Once you miss 2 of your opening passes, it is uphill battle that he will not win in the deep field of the US Men. I realize it's early but, I remain skeptical of Jason landing multiple quads in his programs.

Mrrice: he didn't miss any jumping passes here. He deliberately doubled all the jumps except one because the program is brand new. They just got the last minute and a half of this music from the composer. He's marking the jumps. That's all.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mrrice: he didn't miss any jumping passes here. He deliberately doubled all the jumps except one because the program is brand new. They just got the last minute and a half of this music from the composer. He's marking the jumps. That's all.

Did they mention that somewhere? If so, I apologize for not mentioning it. As I said, I LOVE Jason's skating and I really enjoy him as a person. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things go once the season gets into full swing. At this point, Nathan looks unbeatable in the US and from a technical standpoint, only Max and Junior World Champion Vincent Zhou can challenge him technically. With Joshua returning I think Jason HAS to have his quads firing during the GP if he hopes to knock one of them off the podium.

I hear that Vincent is planning to remain a Junior and if that's true, it certainly pushes Jason up a spot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's common practice that with early season club competitions skaters are focused on getting used to doing the programs in competition, so to do that they may water down the jumps to focus on the feel of the program.

Vincent is doing the GP; so he's definitely going full blown senior.

Last edited: