Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact" | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: "I want to make an impact"

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I absolutely love the music and I love Jason's skating......However, it's the jumps that have, and will worry me until he does them on a consistent basis. Once you miss your first 2 opening passes, it is uphill battle. He will need those opening passes or he will not do well in the deep field of the US Men. I realize it's early but, I remain skeptical of Jason landing multiple quads in his programs.

IT'S JULY! For goodness' sake mrrice, IT'S JULY! NOBODY with any common sense is expecting to see him at full strength here. His first international assignment is going to be more than a month and a half away at least. It is not time to be concerned!

mrrice

Record Breaker
IT'S JULY! For goodness' sake mrrice, IT'S JULY! NOBODY with any common sense is expecting to see him at full strength here. His first international assignment is going to be more than a month and a half away at least. It is not time to be concerned!

So was this performance just a run through of his LP? Maybe I'm missing something here. Nathan has looked like a rock star over the summer and I'm surprised that Jason didn't at least go for triples, especially on his opening jumping pass.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So was this performance just a run through of his LP? Maybe I'm missing something here. Nathan has looked like a rock star over the summer and I'm surprised that Jason didn't at least go for triples, especially on his opening jumping pass.

As Tavi said, Jason likely completed the free skate choreographywithin the last few weeks and still trying to master it. If you look at the choreography itself -- there's a LOT of detail w/o the jumps. It's not out of line to focus on just getting the details of the program down and start building that muscle memory. FWIW, he won the competition anyway -- so it really wasn't a place where he needed to go full blast.

Are you basing Nathan's performance on his exhibitions in Japan? As far as I know, Nathan has not competed this summer.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
As Tavi said, Jason likely JUST got his program within the last few weeks and still trying to master choreography. FWIW, he won the competition anyway -- so it really wasn't a place where he needed to go full blast.

Are you basing Nathan's performance on his exhibitions in Japan? As far as I know, Nathan has not competed this summer.

That's what I needed to know. I was just going ask who was in the field. Clearly he didn't need his big jumps to win and in that case, I totally get where they were going.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Though even if he didn't win, I don't think it would have mattered, to be honest. The goal seems to be to get the initial programs out there, and get some initial feedback on them. I expect you'll see more content at Glacier Falls.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For myself, I am content to wait until I see real videos at a later competition to pass true judgments on the programs.

No-one can truly tell anything from a mid-July comp with a dodgy sound system and where the only videos are chopped up poor-quality fancams.

I hear what you're saying, Karne, but I really believe that LP is a work of art. I can't express how much I really liked it, and as you know, I've soured on Jason over the past few years, so I'm not just fanboying. I'm speaking from personal objectivity. It really is beautiful already.

I also agree that the fact that he's marked his jumps in this program is meaningless. He didn't "miss" the jumping passes. They're just placeholders while he learns the choreo.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hear what you're saying, Karne, but I really believe that LP is a work of art. I can't express how much I really liked it, and as you know, I've soured on Jason over the past few years, so I'm not just fanboying. I'm speaking from personal objectivity. It really is beautiful already.

I also agree that the fact that he's marked his jumps in this program is meaningless. He didn't "miss" the jumping passes. They're just placeholders while he learns the choreo.

I think each of the programs present interesting challenges. I think the SP challenge is making that music work. Terrible sound/video quality aside -- I'm not quite sure who he's trying to be. I believe the main person singing is Burr because the song talks about how he wants to be in the "room," that is where history says Hamilton, Jefferson and Madison made a major political compromise. And Burr, who desires more power, is on the outside looking in, the prelude to the famous dual with Hamilton later. I like the idea of Jason playing Burr -- it's major cognitive dissonance from who Jason is.

I agree with you TontoK, that the FS challenge is maintaining the level of choreography while trying to integrate more difficult content. Given the layout I think it is, there's a lot of room to play around.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think each of the programs present interesting challenges. I think the SP challenge is making that music work. Terrible sound/video quality aside -- I'm not quite sure who he's trying to be. I believe the main person singing is Burr because the song talks about how he wants to be in the "room," that is where history says Hamilton, Jefferson and Madison made a major political compromise. And Burr, who desires more power, is on the outside looking in, the prelude to the famous dual with Hamilton later. I like the idea of Jason playing Burr -- it's major cognitive dissonance from who Jason is.

I agree with you TontoK, that the FS challenge is maintaining the level of choreography while trying to integrate more difficult content. Given the layout I think it is, there's a lot of room to play around.

Interesting take, and informative.

I'm a bit "whatever" about the SP clips I've seen. Hamilton story aside, I'm just not digging the music or the vibe.

I suppose a critic might say that the LP is similar to last year's, but I think the music is deeper and more mature, and what has already been achieved with the choreography is wonderful. We agree that the trick will be to add in the jump content without losing the mood.

Seeing those LP clips reminds me of the first time Karne shared some sort of blackmarket bootleg of an early Riverdance run-through. You could tell then that it would be something special, and I get that same feeling now.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Seeing those LP clips reminds me of the first time Karne shared some sort of blackmarket bootleg of an early Riverdance run-through. You could tell then that it would be something special, and I get that same feeling now.

4000+ views in 36 hours, before it was yanked and I got sat on the naughty chair. I remember it well. It's not a common feeling, I've only ever had it one other time...so if you think this is like, I will look forward to it with even greater pleasure.

TMC

Record Breaker
I absolutely love the music and I love Jason's skating......However, it's the jumps that have, and will worry me until he does them on a consistent basis. Once you miss your first 2 opening passes, it is uphill battle. He will need those opening passes or he will not do well in the deep field of the US Men. I realize it's early but, I remain skeptical of Jason landing multiple quads in his programs.

Jason has always only done double jumps in the FS in his earliest summer competitions. I would have been surprised if he had done triples.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
So I found a fancam of the Room Where it Happens with the Broadway cast. The sound is pretty poor, but you can see the staging. I think it gives an idea of what Jason will be going for:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFUTNalCN6E

Jason uses a bit of dialog at the beginning (which is the part that really doesn't work for me yet) but most of his music is from the last couple of minutes.

For those who'd like to hear the music better, here's the original cast recording.

https://www.google.com/search?q=room where it happens

Jason's program definitely needs work but here's hoping he can pull it off!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
july or not, I don't like either pieces of music... so as a neutral person, these programs won't make an impact on me.... there is not enough power and emotion in them... for me a step down from last year's LP.

this is just my personal opinion... no need to try to convince me, i am quite particular with music... and for instance, i was very critical of Patrick's choices last year too.

The problem with such programs, without great powerful musical moments is that if they are not skated flawlessly, they don't work as well.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oh well - a chacun son goût.

Stylistically I prefer last year's SP, but I'm willing to give the new one a chance.

On the other hand, I infinitely prefer this year's FS to last year's. For me, the music is quite evocative and emotional, although Rodriguez isn't exactly Puccini. :)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I love Hamilton, but I wouldn't have chosen "Room Where It Happens" as the piece to use as a stand-alone piece for the SP. However, knowing how much Jason believes in it and knowing Kori and Rohene and Jason together, I trust that it'll be a wonderful program.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too early to decide if I like these programs or not. For Jason to be so excited about the Hamilton piece it just makes me feel like it's going to be really, really special. You don't have to like the music to appreciate the program. I HATED Medvedeva's LP last year - thought it was disrespectful. But I certainly could appreciate how she skated to it.....which is the point I'm trying to make. Rohene is magical with choreography and making the music "happen" so I'm expecting great programs from Jason.

Guess there's nothing else to talk about now so might as well start nit-picking!!! ;)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I love Hamilton, but I wouldn't have chosen "Room Where It Happens" as the piece to use as a stand-alone piece for the SP. However, knowing how much Jason believes in it and knowing Kori and Rohene and Jason together, I trust that it'll be a wonderful program.

Agreed, I'm actually a little surprised they didn't go for Wait For It. I was iffy my first time through this program but on second view, I'm more excited. It's definitely a program that will need to grow, instead of one that hooks you (or me, at least) right out the gate.

bevybean

On the Ice

Does he need to be anyone specific? I was debating starting a thread on this because I've been thinking about it a bit lately, but does the skater have to use the source material story in his/her skate program? Ashley Wagner didn't with Moulin Rouge. There were similarities, but the "story" she told wasn't the same story as the movie. But it did work as a piece on its own. I've only seen clips of Jason's SP, but I think it will work just fine without him playing a specific character.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does he need to be anyone specific? I was debating starting a thread on this because I've been thinking about it a bit lately, but does the skater have to use the source material story in his/her skate program? Ashley Wagner didn't with Moulin Rouge. There were similarities, but the "story" she told wasn't the same story as the movie. But it did work as a piece on its own. I've only seen clips of Jason's SP, but I think it will work just fine without him playing a specific character.

I would say the difference with Ashley's program is the lyrics are pretty generic where she could alter the story easily. Jason's program uses music with quite a bit of exposition. I don't think he has to be Burr necessarily but I don't even have a sense yet of the story he's trying to tell, at least fully. I'm hoping it's more that a jazzy broadway theme, cause he could have done that without using Hamilton.

I'm not worried though, I expect that it will develop over time.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say the difference with Ashley's program is the lyrics are pretty generic where she could alter the story easily. Jason's program uses music with quite a bit of exposition. I don't think he has to be Burr necessarily but I don't even have a sense yet of the story he's trying to tell, at least fully. I'm hoping it's more that a jazzy broadway theme, cause he could have done that without using Hamilton.

I'm not worried though, I expect that it will develop over time.

It's an interesting point. A what point does "interpreting the music" slide into "interpreting the play"?

As for me, I generally dislike programs that try to "tell a story" because they seem to be cliche or, worse, pantomime.

My most disliked choreographic gesture in figure skating are "King Tut hands" during any piece of music that is even vaguely Middle-Eastern.

Do people in the Middle East go around acting like Steve Martin?

That looks ridiculous. It would be like performing to Gone with the Wind, all the while fanning oneself coquettishly like Miss Scarlet and falling to the ice, birthin' a baby like Melanie Wilkes.

I don't need, or want, a re-enactment.

ETA: My general skepticism about the SP is not based on how well (or not) he portrays the Hamilton characters. I just don't like the music or the vibe of what I've seen. I'm able to separate that entirely from my very positive thoughts on the LP. They're two different programs.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Please do start a thread! There are many skating programs that could be included in the discussion. I'm thinking of the wishes last year that someone would skate to Firebird but not make it literal.