How much skating progress can I make? | Golden Skate

How much skating progress can I make?

clockwiseskater

Spectator
I'm currently a 5'3" 13 year old who skates at a maximum of 4 times a week for an hour and a half at a time with off ice classes once a week. As of now I'm working to develop my axel, back sit and camel spin and eventually break through into doubles. I'm well aware that the majority of skaters never make it to double axels, but I was wondering how much progress I could make personally if I kept this up and perhaps increased the amount of practice, however by the time GCSEs and A-Levels come up I may have to dedicate more time to studying/

I hope this question wasn't annoying or anything, but I was just thinking about getting a second opinion. :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you continue with skating the same amount that you do now or more, and take private lessons from a good coach who has a proven track record at teaching jumps and basic skating skill, I'd say chances are good you will be landing some doubles after a year or two. How many different doubles, and how consistently, remains to be seen.

I'd say chances are slim that you'll ever land clean double axels, but you never know. Keep up with your lessons and practice, and if you get to the point where your coach thinks you're ready to start working on 2A, give it a try and see how it goes.

Do you want to measure your progress primarily in terms of jumps landed, or do you have other goals for competing, passing tests, mastering other skills, etc.?

sk8momto1

Rinkside
In my opinion it's hard to say. I see kids at my daughter's rink progress quickly and others take longer. I think it depends on many factors including how well you practice, coaching, and simply your ability. It seems like in my daughter's case that she tends to go through phases where she seems to plateau with her jumps and then all of a sudden shows a lot of improvement.