Skater Progress slow or appropriate | Golden Skate

Skater Progress slow or appropriate

sk8trm0m3

Spectator
Hi all,
Looking for some perspective on whether my child's progress is appropriate for her age/level of skating.

My 11 year old daughter has been skating since she was 7, predominantly with a private coach. Since then we have evolved into a coaching team, with someone specializing in jumps, MIF, choreo etc. She skates on average 10 hours a week, much more in the summer during breaks (she does traditional schooling). She has roughly 7 lessons a week currently between the coaching team, plus practice time. She also does strength and flexibility training off ice with separate coaches.

Currently she is working on getting all her doubles cleanly rotated (some are are inconsistent due to a wrap and can be quarter under); she has also started work on her double axel. She has been working on these doubles for at least a year now trying to make them consistently clean. For spins, I would expect them to be closer to Level 4, but they still are Level 3 (occasionally a 2). Personally I don't feel enough time has been dedicated to spins for her, and this is probably an area we need additional help (I may look to find a dedicated spins coach for her).

She is incredibly committed to skating, and wants to do so competitively in the qualifying series (juv). She tends to score in the 38-40 IJS range when competing. We have committed a lot of time and resources to her skating, and want to help her to be successful, however we are starting to question whether she is advancing appropriately considering her age, effort etc. Is there anything we should be doing differently to support her skill advancement?

Any thoughts, advice or guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all,
Looking for some perspective on whether my child's progress is appropriate for her age/level of skating.

My 11 year old daughter has been skating since she was 7, predominantly with a private coach. Since then we have evolved into a coaching team, with someone specializing in jumps, MIF, choreo etc. She skates on average 10 hours a week, much more in the summer during breaks (she does traditional schooling). She has roughly 7 lessons a week currently between the coaching team, plus practice time. She also does strength and flexibility training off ice with separate coaches.

Currently she is working on getting all her doubles cleanly rotated (some are are inconsistent due to a wrap and can be quarter under); she has also started work on her double axel. She has been working on these doubles for at least a year now trying to make them consistently clean. For spins, I would expect them to be closer to Level 4, but they still are Level 3 (occasionally a 2). Personally I don't feel enough time has been dedicated to spins for her, and this is probably an area we need additional help (I may look to find a dedicated spins coach for her).

She is incredibly committed to skating, and wants to do so competitively in the qualifying series (juv). She tends to score in the 38-40 IJS range when competing. We have committed a lot of time and resources to her skating, and want to help her to be successful, however we are starting to question whether she is advancing appropriately considering her age, effort etc. Is there anything we should be doing differently to support her skill advancement?

Any thoughts, advice or guidance is appreciated. Thank you!
Sounds like she's on right track. Some jumps take a year to perfect. Also, you mentioned choreographer-do they work with her consistently or just to learn her programs each season? B/c based on your answer I will either suggest or not suggest that she finds time to work with off-ice dance instructor and also stretching/off-ice skills (ex: resistance and other off-ice needed training).

sk8trm0m3

Spectator
Really appreciate the perspective; this sport is tough and in our area skating resources are somewhat limited so I try and ensure she at least is getting the training she needs (obviously in addition to listening to her coaches).

She does consistent weekly work with her choreo coach (who is also her on-ice dance instructor) But they work together 1x per week on average, more in the summer. We do not do off ice-ballet, or off-ice resistance (but do off-ice jumps training). We also do not do consistent harness rotator training, as we do not have these to utilize in our rinks (I have debated getting one for home use, but not sure they are worth the investment). We have spinners that she uses at home to practice. With her strength coach they focus really on strength training, core and some plyometrics, but not resistance.

Open to all suggestions and thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Really appreciate the perspective; this sport is tough and in our area skating resources are somewhat limited so I try and ensure she at least is getting the training she needs (obviously in addition to listening to her coaches).

She does consistent weekly work with her choreo coach (who is also her on-ice dance instructor) But they work together 1x per week on average, more in the summer. We do not do off ice-ballet, or off-ice resistance (but do off-ice jumps training). We also do not do consistent harness rotator training, as we do not have these to utilize in our rinks (I have debated getting one for home use, but not sure they are worth the investment). We have spinners that she uses at home to practice. With her strength coach they focus really on strength training, core and some plyometrics, but not resistance.

Open to all suggestions and thank you!
The only suggestion I will make is she needs dedicated off ice dance or similar so if not ballet, then barre. There's no need for you to have a harness at home, you wouldn't be able to properly use it anyway.

sk8trm0m3

Spectator
I didn't even think about Barre as an alternative, so thank you. The issue was finding ballet that would work with her schedule since shes in school, but barre opens up more options. Do you think the rotational training is a limitation at this level? Or not necessary until later? And do you think we should add some resistance training?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I didn't even think about Barre as an alternative, so thank you. The issue was finding ballet that would work with her schedule since shes in school, but barre opens up more options. Do you think the rotational training is a limitation at this level? Or not necessary until later? And do you think we should add some resistance training?
I wouldn't worry about the resistance at this point. Yes, I feel that if your jump coach or one of the jump coaches has access and training in using even a pole harness would be helpful for her jumps.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
There are plenty of portable, adjustable barres listed on Amazon. The 4' one I have is, I see, no longer available or I was going to send you a link. But just put "portable ballet barre" into the search window and you'll see lots. Mine is very lightweight, so I can keep it tucked away in my laundry room and carry it out into my hallway whenever I want to work with it.