10-year-old Stephen Gogolev lands 4S | Page 4 | Golden Skate

10-year-old Stephen Gogolev lands 4S

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I surely hope this is just a "one-off" and "let's show off and tape it" so that the boy can be happy (as a previous poster said, perhaps as a reward).

But I do need to ask, for anyone who thinks that figure skating injuries (or any elite sport injuries) are just the "price you pay", and that is a part of being an athlete, and heavens-to-betsy: a World Medal! Olympic Gold! Fame and fortune! What could be better?

Being able to *walk* without pain when you are 40 years old could be better. How many here have actually had a THR or TKR??? Do you know what that operation feels like? The pain you need to be in to subject yourself to the pain of the operation? And is anyone equipped in their mid teens to make that choice? SMH...

Meoima

Match Penalty
I surely hope this is just a "one-off" and "let's show off and tape it" so that the boy can be happy (as a previous poster said, perhaps as a reward).

But I do need to ask, for anyone who thinks that figure skating injuries (or any elite sport injuries) are just the "price you pay", and that is a part of being an athlete, and heavens-to-betsy: a World Medal! Olympic Gold! Fame and fortune! What could be better?

Being able to *walk* without pain when you are 40 years old could be better. How many here have actually had a THR or TKR??? Do you know what that operation feels like? The pain you need to be in to subject yourself to the pain of the operation? And is anyone equipped in their mid teens to make that choice? SMH...
My father, when he was alive, had like 10 surgeries on his right knee, and I was there I know how painful it was for him. He wasn't an athlete but he was in military you know. My father was a strong man, but even for him it was too much. And too much for the family too.
I'd say to walk without pain when you are 40 years old is the best you could ask for.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Figure skating is a dangerous sport. People get injured easily and frequently.
But I really don't think that letting a 10 year old try a quad from time to time in a relatively safe environment makes it any more dangerous for him than it already is.
And if they'd prohibit the quad there's a chance that he'd try it on his own. Alone. Kids do things like that. They want to have some fun.
Stephen seems to be a rare talent, the people working with him will certainly take very good care of him. But they also have to show what he can already do to attract sponsors and fans.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I know quads provide that "big thrill" for audiences - especially during Olympics but practicing them over and over must stress the human frame no question especially in young skaters whose growth patterns have yet to be established. Unfortunately this seems to be true of ALL Olympic sports now but the original idea behind the Olympics when first created in ancient Greece was perfection of human form and function - not its destruction. In recent history (mid 20th century onward) Olympics has taken on a gladiatorial mentality which can be repulsive at times and not just in skating! (Ironically, Max Aaron skated to Gladiator last season...). I want my favorite skaters to continue skating for audiences as long as they can never mind walk! Think of Rohene Ward who is a wonderful skater now but success in the competitive arena eluded him... Whether medalists like Hanyu and Plushenko can skate with any degree of ease late in their lives is still in question but Plushy's showing in Sochi was possibly an omen. Regarding Jason Brown: Correct me if I'm wrong .... I read somewhere a long while ago that his coach Kori Ade has a degree and/or background in skeletal biology. If so, she more than likely has been training Jason with his future health in mind which to my mind is the most responsible coaching technique to date and harkens back to ancient principles.