2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24 | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24

gmyers

Record Breaker
No, he is being sarcastic to the extreme.

ETA He posted another comment which would have made it very clear, but deleted just as I was about to reply to that one with my comment above

Comments of mine are being deleted by Admins for trolling as they believe I am lying and being sarcastic and I am very close to being banned and may be banned because of this comment. I didn't delete any thing. All my comments on brown are considered lies and or sarcastic. I can't comment anymore on brown.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Machida OWNED that.
:bow:

That's the point. Machida's landings weren't picture perfect, but he was confident in his ability all the way. He skated like a World silver medalist ought to at the start of a new season. To me Machida don't have more overall talent than Jeremy and Jason and Denis, but he does have more overall machismo, and strong dynamic self-belief which is the key to his success. Machida maximizes every ounce of his ability and he always owns his performances to the max! Judges love to reward skaters who take command of the ice the way Machida does.

Not the least is the fact Machida is matched with an excellent coach choreographer in Philip Mills who absolutely knows how to put together unique programs. I think Ashley Wagner erred in not making an effort to continue working with Mills, at the least for what he did/ and could have continued doing for her with choreography.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Machida kills it, channelling inner Plushenko heart and Daisuke hair, but is really a ninja assassin. Deadly. Without fanfare.

To watch Jeremy skating among these guys is like watching Man and boyz. Edgework to die for! The program have room for polish though. What happened to that black classic shirt I hope him to wear, just simple and classy? Am afraid he is taking his Brit tribute a little too far with that David Brent/Office get up. Beard unnecessery, you are MAN enough already!!!! Loose the tie, or tie it around your wrist, roll up your sleeves so it looks like some sort of cool wrist band.

MCM promising start, I didn't expect anything more or less. Good luck on the FS

Denis, bad luck, it is a bit like COP overkill with the amount of transition, seems he want to channel his inner Dai and make up for missing Patrick. The program is ery Patrick Chan isn' t it. Admiral job, but I look forward to the FS more. Not sure about the SP among the typical cookie cutter 'serious' programs otherwise.

Jason Brown... Not surprised by the judges 'generaous' marks, typical federation politics for home event skaters. I have to be honest, i have never been a fan of his skating. Watching him I am reminded as if I am watching Scooby Doo on ice. Oversize head, lovable, smiley as hell, big limbs everywhere, I enjoy it, it is fun, but it is not exactly my 'ideal' figure skating champion. I want to take him home, hug him, pet him to feed something yummy, that is about it.

Crowd: No one and I mean NO ONE is allowed to complain about Taipei 4CC audience (lack of) ever again! Lol.. this is Skate America GP Yall' Pfwahhahaha...

4am... signing off.

LOL now I want to take "scooby snacks" with me to the next competition. :laugh:

Icey

Record Breaker
Except for Machida, mostly disappointing. Jason was lucky his 3a didn't get downgraded.

TMC

Record Breaker
Comments of mine are being deleted by Admins for trolling as they believe I am lying and being sarcastic and I am very close to being banned and may be banned because of this comment. I didn't delete any thing. All my comments on brown are considered lies and or sarcastic. I can't comment anymore on brown.

Good.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Jason's lucky his 3A wasn't called as UR. I agree with BoP that he needs to consider going into his 3A with greater speed. Too bad, because he landed some beauties in practice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Except for Machida, mostly disappointing. Jason was lucky his 3a didn't get downgraded.

Ironically, the only clean program other than Machida (Nguyen) and only clean quad other than Machida (Besseghier) are in 7th and 8th, essentially tied. But yeah, this was pretty ho-hum. Oh well, first skate of the season.

I'm really hoping Ten can pull out a good FS... to have a World silver (arguably gold) and an Olympic bronze but no GP medals seems mind-boggling.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Jason Brown... Not surprised by the judges 'generous' marks, typical federation politics for home event skaters. I have to be honest, i have never been a fan of his skating. Watching him I am reminded as if I am watching Scooby Doo on ice. Oversize head, lovable, smiley as hell, big limbs everywhere, I enjoy it, it is fun, but it is not exactly my 'ideal' figure skating champion. I want to take him home, hug him, pet him to feed something yummy, that is about it.

4am... signing off.

THIS!!! Someone else sees it too! Jason has a great personality and star quality, but I feel like his programs and skating style is very commercial and easy.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm quite proud of Adian for coming out and debuting with a bang. He definitely is a boy competing amongst men but did about as well as can be expected. Good luck in the FS!!

Second highest TES at 43 :clap:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
First group was a mess, but thank god Machida saved the day!

Machida: He was in a totally different class to everyone else. If he pulls out a halfway decent long, I'll come out of this his fan. Whatever the commentators say, this is how you portray pain. Not Jeremy's unlistenable lyrics program. And if he becomes the guy who skates clean programs season in and season out... frankly, I dunno if I'd even care what he skated to--that'll be such a godsend by itself.

Abbott: I get that he has good skating skills, but this program was exactly how I didn't want lyrics used. The murmured singing was terrible to listen to in the feed, and I doubt it carried well in the arena either. I'm happy for him having a good skate; when I saw how relaxed he was in the warm-up, I had a feeling he was going to skate well. But I doubt I'll be able to watch this program again, and if I do, I'm muting it. (But: Facial hair actually worked for me. :p)

Brown: Shame about the fall, but I love how it never showed on his face. The scores admittedly were generous; I would've downgraded the axel.

Ten: When you choose bombastic music and choreograph your jumps to go with the crescendos... it's amazing when you hit them, and terrible when you don't. And sadly, he didn't hit them here.

Pitkeev: Nice quality on the elements (sans the quad), nice lines, but not enough projection. Keeps his head down too much.

Gachinski: My heart was in my mouth when I saw that tilted quad... I knew there was no way he could land it. Love him, but he didn't really perform the rest of the program after the fall.

Nam: Props to him for being only one of two men to skate clean. Lots of personality. Despite his lack of speed and smallish jumps, I would've had him above Adian and Artur at the very least.

Besseghier: Not a fan of breakdancing, but he sold it well until the lutz. Footwork looked like a Yagudin-Joubert hybrid. Like Nam, I would've scored him higher.

Martinez: Absolutely amazing positions on the Biellmann, illusion spin, and I-spin (?).

Razzano, Bychenko, Hendrickx: Various degrees of messy that I don't wish to contemplate. :no:

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Machida was spot-on with the jumps and has beautiful line and extension, but I agree with Michael Weiss that his artistry goes on and off during the program.

I agree with that comment, too. At times I thought that some of the choreography just did not fit the music. I'll have to watch the program again just to see if I can pinpoint what I didn't like.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Bear in mind that Abbott also made an error on his axel, and didn't have a quad. I'd say the scores were pretty much spot on as far as Abbott/Brown.

Yes, Machida is definitely a contender... I hope he continues on this quad (even though he said this was his last season, IIRC).... he's one of the few skaters who I really think feels his music and expresses every nuance.

From the Tatsuki fanfest thread:

Very important news!

According to reports from Japanese fans on twitter, Tatsuki has changed his mind and is continuing his career until Pyeongchang Olympics.
Phillip Mills is doing the choreography for his SP.