2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies FS 11/22 | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies FS 11/22

andyjo24

Medalist
Why are the judges being so generous with Ashley this season, whereas last season, Ashley felt that she was 'gypped'. I don't think her skating improved that much from last season. She skates like a slightly more graceful version of Surya Bonaly.

She's being scored around the same level. She got around 63-66 PCS last season. It's just that the Russian women's PCS have relatively fallen due to the Olympics season being over.

andyjo24

Medalist
Great to hear that. People often talk about how underrated Mae, which I agree, but Haruka doesn't seem to get enough respect from judges either. She's my most favorite Giselle. The frequent meltdowns and lack of power in her skating seem to hurt her PCS.

She has great speed and skating skills, but she always makes a big mistake. I also noticed the lack of power in her skating. It would be awesome if she can put on a bit more muscle.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Great to hear that. People often talk about how underrated Mae, which I agree, but Haruka doesn't seem to get enough respect from judges either. She's my most favorite Giselle. The frequent meltdowns and lack of power in her skating seem to hurt her PCS.
I think she was lovely but not memorable enough. I don't know but watching her I have this feeling: lovely but not special. I really want to like her but most of the times I find her quite flat.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks to everyone who provided pbp! Special thanks to Mao88 for videos (you're amazing!) :rock:

Well, I liked Elena's FS best although she still has a problem with poor posture. But this young lady is on her way. Yulia did better this time but I really didn't get 'Juliet' from her - she could have been skating to anything as far as I'm concerned. Ashley left me sort of meh, I just can't get into this program.

The Russian ladies are really bringing it, the GPF is going to look part-Russian nationals!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is something oddly appealing to me in Courtney Hicks FS. It's a very classical and I dare say the type of choreography BoP would approve of. There is a minute or so that I feel like I'm on a merry-go-round and I kind of get caught up in that feeling. It's not like she is the most amazing skater and her dress is a huge distraction but she just seems comfortable in this program. Like she is definitely in her own skin. I like that.

There was a moment around 3:20 where she flubbed her second of two 2a's. It appeared to me that there was a planned arm raise directly after the landing in which she started to do but it seemed due to the error something overcame her and she let out a little miniscule power motion with her arms and then went on to attack the rest of her program. I'm willing to overlook errors and if I were a judge I could see forgiving a skater in terms of PCS. But first the skater must be willing to forget it themselves and carry on with conviction or even a bit of vengeance.

Long story short....I like this program. I

Last edited:

wjww

Rinkside
Among the skaters I'm familiar with, the best Beillmans go for Elena Radionova (senior level), Karen Chen (junior level) and Anastasia Gubanova (novice level). Karen is best of the best IMO.

penguin

On the Ice
I think she was lovely but not memorable enough. I don't know but watching her I have this feeling: lovely but not special. I really want to like her but most of the times I find her quite flat.

I agree with this. I also think Haruka is a lovely skater but I saw her live at Skate America one year and thought she was nice, but lacked power and presence. I liked her but wanted her to have more energy. She's sort of an introverted skater.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
So happy to see Elena's well deserved GOLD. Her jumps are more secure than SA, so she proved my concerns wrong.
Even if judges gave her crazy low PCS she would have won still. If she does not deserve win here ,who???

Elena will be a new world champion, I believe. Just love her!

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Interesting commentary from Kurt Browning on CBC. He was talking about Julia's crosscuts and how they are weak. Carol Lane was saying how the program just showed her skating up and down the ice. They love Elena and Kurt feels that she could be someone who could potentially create memorable performances like Katarina Witt.

They also spent much time discussing how she missed a medal ceremony, that she'd done it already three times and and if she is not happy, than that's what she does. And they did it TWICE (just in case you missed when they said it 15 minutes ago). And Sometimes I wish Kurt would just listen at least once to all the nonsense he's telling and would just actually shut up (saying "she's known for not coming to the podium"). He does so much bla-bla talking. He irritates me more with every broadcast he has.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Julia was so much better than in CoC and her free program turned out to be amazing.
She will grow in confidence and stability with every week from now on, beware. :):yay:
She has also reduced her gumby moves and seems less frantic. I enjoyed her program, she is definitely improving.

Alba

Record Breaker

Tbh I didn't notice a lack of power in her skating. She's gentle and elegant out there and quite fast. I enjoyed her a lot. She's also very beautiful. :)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Tbh I didn't notice a lack of power in her skating. She's gentle and elegant out there and quite fast. I enjoyed her a lot. She's also very beautiful. :)
Agreed, she has greatly improved her speed and power in the last year or so, she attacks her jumps with conviction now... but she still has the elegance and flow that she always had.

Here, her FS was great but that stumble in her steps was not just surprising - it was also costly - looking at the protocols, she scored zero for her steps sequence... :-/

If she could just skate clean more consistently, I think she'd see quite a boost to her scores.

brightphoton

Medalist
Haruka's Giselle at Skate America was clean, if I recall, and she still wasn't scored that highly on PCS. How many times does she have to skate cleanly before they "count?" I think this is her fourth year on the GP circuit. She's paid her dues.

OniBan

Final Flight
watching Julia and Elena skate and how they are during the medal ceremony for this event - it makes me think that Julia is a gorgeous girl who doesn't know how beautiful she is, and Elena is a gorgeous girl who totally knows how to work her charm (which spectators responds really well to).
Seeing their progress in the future is going to be very interesting.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Agreed, she has greatly improved her speed and power in the last year or so, she attacks her jumps with conviction now... but she still has the elegance and flow that she always had.

Here, her FS was great but that stumble in her steps was not just surprising - it was also costly - looking at the protocols, she scored zero for her steps sequence... :-/

If she could just skate clean more consistently, I think she'd see quite a boost to her scores.

Yes, that stumble was unfortunate. Me and my friend were like: Oh No! :bang: We loved her.:)
I think she just lost concentration there. She was really happy about her skating and maybe she thought it's done now.
She will learn, and I'm sure it will not happen again. :)

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Well here is an example of her 7 triples program around Elena's age at CoR 2007 (She got WR 133.70 here). Anyone know how I can obtain these protocols? I'd be very curious on comparing the PCS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56sSabyOq24

i guess this is the protocol you are looking for
and wishing haruka very good luck for nationals cause the way i see it, if she cant make world team this year its only gonna get harder for her cause juniors catching up to her so fast, i would love to see her going to worlds :bang:

EDIT: sorry just noticed treeloving already posted the protocols :slink:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
They also spent much time discussing how she missed a medal ceremony, that she'd done it already three times and and if she is not happy, than that's what she does. And they did it TWICE (just in case you missed when they said it 15 minutes ago). And Sometimes I wish Kurt would just listen at least once to all the nonsense he's telling and would just actually shut up (saying "she's known for not coming to the podium"). He does so much bla-bla talking. He irritates me more with every broadcast he has.
Wow, really? I... am actually not surprised. I didn't watch the whole CBC broadcast for TEB, but so far on the GP series, Kurt has really disappointed me. I thought he did a solid job at the Olympics. But on the GP he just sounds bitter and hypercritical of everyone, especially if you're Russian. Even his "compliments" are backhanded.

Imo, Tracy Wilson did a better job during Skate Canada on TSN.