2014 Worlds Men Short Program | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Men Short Program

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I try not to be biased, but beside the fall, Hanyu's program was at least as good as in Sochi or GPF.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I try not to be biased, but beside the fall, Hanyu's program was at least as good as in Sochi or GPF.
I think without the fall, he was better than Sochi. Such speed is unbelievable. I have rewatched two versions again. He was so on fire in the second half after the fall. Incredible speed.

Becki

Medalist
I think without the fall, he was better than Sochi. Such speed is unbelievable. I have rewatched two versions again. He was so on fire in the second half after the fall. Incredible speed.

His 3Lz was out of this world! It could've been a 4Lz...

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
MACHIDA - amazing jump technique and very smooth; perhaps not as emotional or expressive as Fernandez and Verner

FERNANDEZ - solid jumps overall but with a couple minor GOE issues on the landings; by far the most charismatic men's skater currently competing now that Joubert is retired

HANYU - still not as consistent a jumper as he needs to be, but good recovery after the fall; must be a challenge competing in the spotlight of Japan

---
ABBOTT - not a disaster or his worst, but not the skate he needed to try for the podium one last time; he might end up edging out AARON depending on what happens in the FS, but some of his detractors will (correctly) point out that winning a World medal is just not in the cards for him

REYNOLDS - obviously under more pressure from Canada with Chan absent, and he seemed to think he did a good job in his interview with Scott Russell, but unfortunately his jumps and the marks told a different tale; only one spot ahead of NGUYEN means that he needs to raise his game if he wants to keep his current ranking in Canada

NGUYEN - at first when he had his little fall at the beginning I thought this might be a case of a Junior skater in danger of unravelling at his first Senior Worlds, but he came back strong with a pretty great series of jumps and kept his composure

BREZINA - a skater with so much potential as a teenager, but now as he enters his mid-20's and with the low result in the SP here, I think it is time for a major re-think

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I also like how he held the landing of the 3T on the combo... so many times he rushes into the "creative exit" of his combo that it almost looks like he's trying to save it (kinda like Javier's 4S in his SP). This time he presented it. Loved his 3A reaction also... nailed the attitude. :rock:

His performance was comparable to Sochi, but I'm sorry, a fall is a fall. This is the technical program. If this was 6.0, he would have been 6th. Whether it's Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu or whoever, a fall when at least 3 guys have gone clean with quads + 3A + XX-3T combos, should immediately give you PCS that's worse than them. Certainly not PCS valued at 90%. Maybe one fall in the FS can still get you 90%, but in the SP, that's messing up 1/3 of the jumping passes.

jkun

Final Flight

Let's not go too crazy... there is no way he could have gotten another rotation on that. That said, he has said that he does practice 4Lz. I assume he goes in with even more speed and a stronger vault though.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Let's not go too crazy... there is no way he could have gotten another rotation on that. That said, he has said that he does practice 4Lz. I assume he goes in with even more speed and a stronger vault though.

Agreed. His lutz has much improved in technique and being straight in the air this season... prior to this season, it was actually one of his least reliable jumps if you look at the errors made on it compared to his other triples.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I also like how he held the landing of the 3T on the combo... so many times he rushes into the "creative exit" of his combo that it almost looks like he's trying to save it (kinda like Javier's 4S in his SP). This time he presented it. Loved his 3A reaction also... nailed the attitude. :rock:

His performance was comparable to Sochi, but I'm sorry, a fall is a fall. This is the technical program. If this was 6.0, he would have been 6th. Whether it's Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu or whoever, a fall when at least 3 guys have gone clean with quads + 3A + XX-3T combos, should immediately give you PCS that's worse than them. Certainly not PCS valued at 90%. Maybe one fall in the FS can still get you 90%, but in the SP, that's messing up 1/3 of the jumping passes.
I think it's better than Sochi in term of speed. In Sochi he got 101, here he got 91, that 10 points apart for that fall so I think it's fair. It's a good score compare to others but not unreasonable high. The judge would just say he was faster and better than Sochi beside the fall. And he did deliver it well.

As for the 4lz, oh boy, just master your 4S before trying other quad please. I am tired of your fall at 4S.:scowl:

usethis2

Medalist
I hope Yuzuru will come out with a program that acknowledges the audience a little bit next season. He is so into his program that he rarely projects to the audience. (He constantly looks at the judges, though. ;) )

It is really a nitpick and probably a matter of taste, and when he skates like that the audience can't take their eyes off anyway. But watching on screen sometimes I feel like I've finished watching a squirrel running a wheel for 3 minutes non-stop.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was also sad for Peter Liebers-I dont't know why, but his skating makes me smile.:)

Liebers makes me smile too. I always have a soft spot for the gritty ones and he has so obviously busted his butt the last few years and become such a wonderful skater.

Agreed, Mrs. P. At nationals I was so fixated on Jeremy and Jason that I felt like I gave Max the short shrift. I feel like I really saw him and his potential (other than his jumps) for the first time. He needs to hook up with a great choreographer; someone who can work with a client who is musical but doesn't have a dance background. Pasquale, maybe.

Max already works with Pasquale (P did his SP as well as Tron and WSS last year), but NO MORE LORI NICHOL. Please, Max. Please, please, please, never go to her again.

Meanwhile I'm just happy that people are actually giving Max credit for his work! Too often it's seemed this year that he just can't do anything right by the fanbase.

And I'm going to get a T-shirt that says "I liked Max's Samba before it was cool" :p

*sigh* and then I was searching him on Twitter and came across a group of Abbott fans wishing openly for Max to fail. How horrible.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Feeling crushed for Michal Brezina. I hope this is not the end for him, and that he takes enough time to heal from the injury.

Any word on how Misha Ge did (I don't have time to read through this whole thread)?

Thrilled for Javier & Tomas. So nice to see Taka back @ Worlds. I was also very glad to see Maxim Kovtun get his chance to skate @ Worlds.

Hoping that Jeremy & Max skate lights out in the free skate.

Does anyone know if Ryan Bradley is doing the commentary in Japan?

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I hope Yuzuru will come out with a program that acknowledges the audience a little bit next season. He is so into his program that he rarely projects to the audience. (He constantly looks at the judges, though. ;) )

It is really a nitpick and probably a matter of taste, and when he skates like that the audience can't take their eyes off anyway. But watching on screen sometimes I feel like I've finished watching a squirrel running a wheel for 3 minutes non-stop.

Really must be a matter of taste. For me, the PW involves the audience, including the judges, with all that pointing and projection to them. A squirrel should be so lucky to be that cool :)!

Paola D

Rinkside
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2014/03/26/kiji/K20140326007853290.html
Japanese news media reported that the Arena wasn't full on Mens SP, only filling 16913 out of 18400 capacity of that large arena, saying that "although Hanyu has increased his female fan base after Olympics, the withdrawal of Daisuke Takahashi, known to attract most spectators, has impacted a lot on this.:cry:

Hanyu is only 19 years old and he has been on the senior circuit only for 4 years. Takahashi is 28 and has a much longer career than Hanyu. He has done a lot for Japanese men's fs and was a king for many years. It is not surprising at all Hanyu's fanbase might not be as big as Takahashi's at the moment, cosidering he was a junior skater 4 years ago. But I think Hanyu's porpularity is really amazing at such a young age seeing that his porpularity skyrocketed after GPF and exploded after Sochi. I think I must say his porpularity is swiftly catching up with Takahashi's now with the craziness of the fever going on in Japan.
About ticket sales, Hanyu won OGM only nearly one month ago, and there was not much time left before the Worlds after Takahashi announced his withdrawal and his fans (usually occupied big part of the audience) released their tickets on the markets. There was not enough time before other fans and casual fans bought all of them.

By the way, do people here know in the SP, when Hanyu's music started, there were loud screams from the audience, "Yuzu, I love you!"? :bang:(It was among Yahoo's top news)
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20140327-00000046-spnannex-spo

It says 19-year-old skater's competition was like an idol's concert. .
Hanyu said, "I heard the cheers, but if you ask me if it affected me, it didn't in the least. I may have been a little too confident or been careless. I feel anger with me. I can't forgive me (about making such a mistake)."

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Hanyu said, "I heard the cheers, but if you ask me if it affected me, it didn't in the least. I may have been a little too confident or been careless. I feel anger with me. I can't forgive me (about making such a mistake)."

I repeat myself all the time by saying this...but I like his attitude so much.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I agree; he always takes responsibility for his mistakes and doesn't blame it on other things/factors/people, etc.

I agree also. Hanyu is quite humble despite all his success. Can't help but want to root for him more!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
It is weird to assume that Daisuke's fanbase will move on to Yuzuru, imho. Other than that they're the most succesful male skaters of Japan and overlapped in the same era I don't see much similarity in looks, character or skating style. Yuzuru might attract different fans (maybe the mentioned younger idol fans?) than the aunties that follow Dai. Not every figure skating fan just follows the next skater when their favourite is gone. If Mao retires there will be a big big gap left as well. Japan does have it's own issues in that area I assume. Saitama is a pretty big stadium and seemed full to me at least, and I'm sure sooner or later Yuzuru and others will be able to fill up the stands as well. Maybe tickets will be easier to get then. It seems to me that the balance is slowly favouring the Russian skating again, but who knows.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It is weird to assume that Daisuke's fanbase will move on to Yuzuru, imho. Other than that they're the most succesful male skaters of Japan and overlapped in the same era I don't see much similarity in looks, character or skating style. Yuzuru might attrack different fans (maybe the mentioned younger idol fans?) than the aunties that follow Dai. Not every figure skating fan just follows the next skater when their favourite is gone. If Mao retires there will be a big big gap left as well. Japan does have it's own issues in that area I assume. Saitama is a pretty big stadium and seemed full to me at least, and I'm sure sooner or later Yuzuru and others will be able to fill up the stands as well. Maybe tickets will be easier to get then. It seems to me that the balance is slowly favouring the Russian skating again, but who knows.

I think, to Mao and Daisuke's credit, that they have built skating as enough of a national pastime that people will continue to attend competitions for the time being even if they are no longer skating.

Yes the arena wasn't FULL, but let's face it, USFSA would kill to have the type of ticket sales Japan is seeing sans-Daisuke at Nationals and Skate America.