2014 Worlds Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds Pairs Short Program

elif

Medalist
I really believed that this was Stolbova/Klimov's to lose. They have really come into their own this season, are in incredible shape and the attack and confidence they are showing is just remarkable. Their triple twist didn't go so well this time but all of the other elements were executed to a very high standard. There was no hesitation and they really commanded the ice.

When I watched I did think Stolbova's twisting is more horizontal, more parallel to ice. Maybe its because of the TV angle. Also I suprised because I didn't see any GOE bullet for good air position of the lady. :confused: I read both positive aspects and errors. :confused:

flutzy13

On the Ice
Thrilled that Meagan and Eric rebounded after their massive Olympic disappointment. That SP has served them so well. I would have had them behind S/K but not by much.

Both Chinese pairs leave me cold. Perhaps because lifts are my favorite part of pairs and that's the one area where they are lackluster.

S/K are so impressive with their consistency. They will make it hard for anyone else to beat them once S/S are done. Conversely, B/L continue to underwhelm and get scores that seem higher than they deserve.

Sad for MT/M who just looked utterly confused with their score after their clean skate. I don't agree with the Chinese pairs having essentially the same PCS. Actually, the most annoying thing about this entire competition was that everyone from 4-11 save for the #3 Russians has PCS within 1.5 points of each other. Lazy judging IMO. The range was much wider.

And gutted for my favorites C/S. I can't even be mad Simon doubled the jump. He was due for a mistake after hitting his triples at Nationals and FOUR Olympic programs exceeding all of our expectations. I hope they aren't too disappointed by what looks like it will be a lackluster ending to what was aa pretty storybook season and really an incredible 2 season rise.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Maybe everyone already knows this but what happened to Denney/Coughlin? I thought they had been named to the team?

fairly4

Medalist
okay explains a 60 but low pcs scores. on both u.s. pairs, to me other teams have a bit high pcs and u.s teams are getting low-balled

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And gutted for my favorites C/S. I can't even be mad Simon doubled the jump. He was due for a mistake after hitting his triples at Nationals and FOUR Olympic programs exceeding all of our expectations. I hope they aren't too disappointed by what looks like it will be a lackluster ending to what was aa pretty storybook season and really an incredible 2 season rise.

It's tough to peak twice, no doubt. I hope they will come back strong in the FS.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Something about S/S's pair spin seemed off. What happened here? The lead isn't that big, they have to bring their A Game and seemed a bit cautious through their skate. I don't think they will risk the Axel. Wouldn't make sense at all.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Not true. They needed it to just have a 0.01% chance at beating V/T. They didn't skate to bring home the silver. They wanted the gold and tried desperately to get it. They decided beforehand to go for it and didn't change the plan because Robin fell.

Here they don't need it to win, it will make no sense to risk it and loosing their 5th title for it. They shouldn't do it and I don't think they will.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
In your mind maybe. I don't fault them for going for it. They confirmed it before, they didn't care about silver or bronze, it was only Gold for them. All or nothing. Of course it was pointless by then it was clear they would never get it, but they went for it anyway. It IS understandable. If they go for it at this Worlds though, I certainly will doubt their sanity because it is not logical to do so. Aliona seems a very stubborn lady to me, though. If she wants to risk it and loose, well :rolleye:. That will be stupid.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I don't think you understand what I meant. If you work towards a goal for such a long time what would you do? Give up? Yes, they had no chance, but tell me where they would've gotten the motivation from if they didn't believe there was a small possibility still? I think you cannot really survive in this sport, if you believe that everything is all set in stone and there are no miracles.

You are both right. S/S' chances of winning were pretty much zero - th3axel or no th3axel - even before the fall on the 3toe, given the scores V/T have received, despite not having given a perfect performance. But S/S had to convince themselves to believe that there was a chance and that they could win if they skated their best, in order to have the energy to keep going. Otherwise why even bother? So considering that, there was a logic to them attempting the th3axel. Here, their SP scores prove they can definitely win with a clean performance as S/K gave their 95% and were 3 points behind so there isn't much point, unless they want to prove they are 'fighters' and are capable of it. But I am pretty sure that most of the skating community has a lot of respect for them already so it really isn't necessary (I mean even the Russian commentators are always very sympathetic towards them and Pavlova even said that 'things unfortunately didn't work for them' [at the Olympics]).

Conversely, B/L continue to underwhelm and get scores that seem higher than they deserve.

Definitely. They have some very impressive pair elements, twist in particular. But her jump issues remain and on the PCS side, they are still really lacking. I am very :confused: about giving a team which totally lacks expression such playful music, which calls for a character-driven program.

Sad for MT/M who just looked utterly confused with their score after their clean skate. I don't agree with the Chinese pairs having essentially the same PCS.

I think that the Chinese teams skated very well and largely deserved their high TES. But I agree about the PCS. MT/M's SP is an outstanding program which didn't get rewarded well enough. The choreography had plenty of character, appropriate to the music, they presented it well with good energy and expression and most entries into their elements were short, with some preceding transitions.

I am really glad both Chinese teams are doing so well, though. They continue to improve presentation-wise, their coaching team seems to have the right approach and I think their potential is huge (as long as Zhang's injuries don't flare up and Sui doesn't grow any taller). I really hope they can place 6th and 7th at least because China really needs 3 spots for next year.

Antilles

Medalist
Kind of off topic, but does Aliona have a new partner lined up yet? Kurt Browning said on CBC's preview coverage that Robin is retiring but Aliona plans to continue skating with a new partner.

kresslia

Medalist
Sad for MT/M (though they COULD still medal if those ahead of them make mistakes), but wow, so proud of D/R. I watched the condensed broadcast on CBC, and I knew D/R were going to kill with the way CBC was building up to it lol.

Really enjoyed all of the top three. Great short program. I do expect D/R to slip back to 3rd at least, I'm not entirely confident they'll be clean in the LP.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I want S/K to win it. I never saw them as a threat previous seasons, but this year from the very beginning they caught my eye. And I loove their LP. Happy for them about hitting the SP!
As for S/S, i will be biased here: I don't want them to win. Period.(thought they probably will). I don't like that they have been overscored so many times and the way she reacts towards V/T is just disrespectful. Just watched Worlds 2012 last night, and well, Aliona's reaction to the score says it all...
Again, that is MY OPINION...

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I want S/K to win it. I never saw them as a threat previous seasons, but this year from the very beginning they caught my eye. And I loove their LP. Happy for them about hitting the SP!
As for S/S, i will be biased here: I don't want them to win. Period.(thought they probably will). I don't like that they have been overscored so many times and the way she reacts towards V/T is just disrespectful. Just watched Worlds 2012 last night, and well, Aliona's reaction to the score says it all...
Again, that is MY OPINION...

Huh?Aliona was surprised and mad at Robin for messing up the spin. She looked relieved they didn't lose the gold medal in the end.
Happy for S/S, I hope they don't mess up the LP this time

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Huh? She seems kind of old for Nikita besides he is an ice dancer and I don't think he is big enough to carry her. that would be an odd combo for sure and why would he switch when he is starting to have some success.

BAck to the short program I don't udnerstand why M - Mtm were marked so far down. There is so little room at the top but I do hope they move up but I don't know how with the Chinese. I also thought D and R could have had a coupe more points for pcs but that is just me. Ssquared will have their world gold again but I while they will try to hype it the energy just isn't there at Japan and world's. Withotu V and T it is kind of like whatever are we surprised.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Kind of off topic, but does Aliona have a new partner lined up yet? Kurt Browning said on CBC's preview coverage that Robin is retiring but Aliona plans to continue skating with a new partner.

Perhaps she's pairing up with Mervin Tran, since Mervin Tran may have split with Natasha Purich, although they'd have citizenship issues.

whatif

Medalist
Huh? She seems kind of old for Nikita besides he is an ice dancer and I don't think he is big enough to carry her. that would be an odd combo for sure and why would he switch when he is starting to have some success.

That was joke:)

She had a tryout with Bruno Massot. Mervin Tran could be great although I am not sure it could work given the citizenship issue.

As for S/S, i will be biased here: I don't want them to win. Period.(thought they probably will). I don't like that they have been overscored so many times

They haven't been overscored 'so many times.' They won (or placed well) with mistakes a number of times because there weren't other teams which had elements or programs at their level, as simple as that.