2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

uhh

Medalist
Dark Eyes isn't, but did you see the dance team skating to We Will Rock You? Or the five other pairs skating to rock? Or the juniors skating to Meghan Trainor?

Modern-Music-To-Make-You-Look-Edgy-And-Different is definitely the interpretation de jour. (Well, the Meghan Trainor pair weren't edgy, but that was about as modern as a waltz gets.) I prefer a nice traditional waltz myself, but it would get boring if EVERYONE did that, so as long as it's actually a waltz, it's fine by me.

The one infuriating thing about this pattern, however, is that not a single team has used Roses From the South and that is upsetting. It is CLEARLY the best waltz. ;)

Kidding. Matter of opinion. :laugh:

The team skating to We Will Rock You are using it for the march part of the SD which is one of the required rhythms this year. For the waltz part, they are using a song that absolutely conforms to the style and construction of a Viennese Waltz, even though it is a more modern composition. Viennese Waltz does not and has never equaled Strauss and only Strauss.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I agree. I actually like their pattern too.
From what I've seen so far Cappellini/Lanotte have best RW pattern. Perfect musicality and timing, but maybe it's just me.

It's not just you. If I had to select the best SD of the season thus far, it is C&L's. For me, the real challenge of the OD/SD has always been to skate the selected rhythm so well that you stand out from the crowd through the excellence of that style. Rarely are the winning OD/SD's a rehash of previously winning music selections, but neither are they "different." They stand out because they are the ultimate performance of that style of the dance. The Merry Widow isn't overused. Neither is it "modern." It is charming, light, fast--all the things I identify with a Ravensburger Waltz. And it is done with a level of confidence and perfection that makes it sing. There is nothing tired about this SD and the viewer doesn't have to be familiar with the cover of a Beatles album to understand the program. It is a waltz, and it is gorgeous.

I think Amantide is correct that the rules are open to many interpretations of waltz music this season. But I don't see this as any form of advocation for more modern or less-traditional waltzes. Rather as an opportunity to explore those if one wishes. (I think teams may be leaning this way because there was so much fan criticism of the warhorse selections in the FD in dance last season, but I do not see anything within the rules advocating it). And I tend to think Amantide may also be correct in that those dancers who do not follow the trend may benefit by standing out from the pack. But I would argue there is no indication that skating anything other a superior form of the required dance will win. Go through the winning ODs & SDs from the past and you will not find one that screams "different." You will find many that scream "superior."

I also think the rules for the SD--demanding more than one rhythm--lead to a common issue with disjointed programs. This is not the dancers' fault, but it is a challenge they must face; and once again, historically I find that the strongest dance teams find a way to blend the different styles into a cohesive whole.

There are still many teams to see: the Shibs, Weaver & Poje, Papadakis & Cizeron, & Coomes & Buckland will all have their say. I'm very much looking forward to the unveiling.

With regard to all of the "different" waltzes we have seen thus far, I will confess that I am very impressed with McNamara & Carpenter's. I wasn't at all keen on the idea at the beginning. (I am not a big fan of In the Hall of the Mountain King). And as they are juniors, this is not a Ravensburger Waltz so it's not a real comparison with the senior dances. But to my surprise, the program does work. They are exactly themselves: fast, quirky, strong. TBH, the entire dance knocked my socks off. There is an advantage to knowing who you are as a team. I canNOT imagine any other U.S. junior dance team selling this program. When you're young and coming up in the ranks--by which I would include senior teams fighting their way into the top ten--standing out from the pack is often done by being different. I don't think it's the way to the TOP of the podium. But it can get people to realize you have something special and one day you may have the goods to fight for that top spot.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
I think Amantide is correct that the rules are open to many interpretations of waltz music this season. But I don't see this as any form of advocation for more modern or less-traditional waltzes. Rather as an opportunity to explore those if one wishes.

I can't be sure with anything that I've been said. I take the info from the "insiders" with a pinch of salt. But watching Montreal School (still we have to see P&C) couples, W&P and C&B now makes me think that info. was true. I didn't meant it was mandatory or anything like that. More like the ISU dancing committee would like to see more different approaches and "modern". It doesn't mean though that just because you have a different approach from the traditional way you have a good program. The idea, the concept alone it's not suffice if everything doesn't blend well and it's not cohesive, as you rightly pointed out.

But I would argue there is no indication that skating anything other a superior form of the required dance will win. Go through the winning ODs & SDs from the past and you will not find one that screams "different." You will find many that scream "superior."

I agree with this. That's why I said it will depend from the execution and performance.

Last edited:

tvuckic16

Final Flight
I did like CL SD. They are generally very good artistically. Their weakness seems to be the technique so I am told, although some times it has been more apparent to me than others. This SD and their FD too seemed pretty good. I liked it , at least artistically. I also liked CB SD today. I am not a CB fan, but I did like their FD last year and I did like their SD today.

Astrid56

Final Flight
I did like CL SD. They are generally very good artistically. Their weakness seems to be the technique so I am told, although some times it has been more apparent to me than others. This SD and their FD too seemed pretty good. I liked it , at least artistically. I also liked CB SD today. I am not a CB fan, but I did like their FD last year and I did like their SD today.

I am a big fan. What is so evident in this SD is their dancing _ their movements were fluid, more organic and effortless ... lyrical. Their dancing has improved tremendously.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have added all the additional pairs and ice dance programs from JGP Torun and from Nebelhorn.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
For those interested in the new programs of Sara Hurtado & Adria Diaz, I have just read on their official webpage that their first competition this season will be the Souvenir Georges-Ethier 2015 which starts from Thursday 24th September 2015 in Beauport, Québec, Canada.

http://hurtadodiaz.com/2015/09/22/sara-and-adrian-to-compete-at-souvenir-georges-ethier-2015/

Their music choices:

Short dance:
Anything to Say You’re Mine by Etta James
Spoonful by Etta James

Free dance:
Nostalgia by Pasión Vega

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Any videos? :)

I think that not yet. I don't know what time it is now in this place where they are competing, but I assume that the competition hasn't started yet. I'm in Poland and it's 20:53 right now and in Canada they'll have a couple of hour less :) That's what is written on their webpage:

The Short Dance starts on Saturday 26th September at 19:00 (local time) and the Free Dance, Sunday 27th, at 10:25 (local time).
There will be a live streaming for the Souvenir Georges-Éthier. The links will be posted on their website and their Facebook page.

Patrick Chan and Meagan and Eric will also compete there. Below a link to a list with all the participants.

http://www.patinage.qc.ca/uploads/C...16_20150820-ListeParticipantsActivites15h.pdf

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
I am confused. I notice Caitlin Yankowskas and Hamish Gaman are listed. I thought they were leaving skating because of funding issues. They're listed as skating for US though instead of UK. Did they switch affiliations instead of retire?

Alba

Record Breaker
I am confused. I notice Caitlin Yankowskas and Hamish Gaman are listed. I thought they were leaving skating because of funding issues. They're listed as skating for US though instead of UK. Did they switch affiliations instead of retire?

Listed where? Maybe it's an old list.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Caitlin/Hamish announced their retirement on Sep 10.

The Souvenir Georges-Éthier list is dated Aug 20 -- if that is what you are referring to.

(BTW, not a comment directed at you, but it bugs me that sometimes other people elsewhere have been referring to a "split." It was not a split. Their announcement said: "... We have come to the decision to retire from figure skating. ...This was not the way we wanted to end our respective skating careers..." http://www.yankowskasgaman.com/news/2015/9/10/the-end-of-a-journey)

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
Listed where? Maybe it's an old list.

Sorry, I meant the Souvenir Georges-Éthier list. I should have specified.

Caitlin/Hamish announced their retirement on Sep 10.

The Souvenir Georges-Éthier list is dated Aug 20 -- if that is what you are referring to.

(BTW, not a comment directed at you, but it bugs me that sometimes other people elsewhere have been referring to a "split." It was not a split. Their announcement said: "... We have come to the decision to retire from figure skating. ...This was not the way we wanted to end our respective skating careers...")

That was what I was referring to. (I didn't make that too clear--sorry.) Didn't realize it was old list although weird to see US on there for them instead of UK. Maybe they were considering skating for US as an alternative at one point but it didn't pan out or they decided not to pursue it? Either way sad to see them leave skating, and I understand you weren't implying that I said "split." No worries--thanks. I'd also hate to see it described that way, especially since it's so obvious that they didn't want to quit but didn't feel they had a choice.

seabm7

Final Flight
Sorry, I meant the Souvenir Georges-Éthier list. I should have specified.

That was what I was referring to. (I didn't make that too clear--sorry.) Didn't realize it was old list although weird to see US on there for them instead of UK. Maybe they were considering skating for US as an alternative at one point but it didn't pan out or they decided not to pursue it? Either way sad to see them leave skating, and I understand you weren't implying that I said "split." No worries--thanks. I'd also hate to see it described that way, especially since it's so obvious that they didn't want to quit but didn't feel they had a choice.

I would say it might have been a simple typo mistake. UK and US are similar. I don't think they would have considered switching to US, since they had to sit out one or two years according to the ISU regulations.

Alba

Record Breaker
I love Hurtado&Diaz. They are not great skaters but I have a soft spot for them.
That SD is the usual D&L crap though. I was really hoping in something better. Hopefully the FD will be much better.