2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23 | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2015 Canadian Nationals Men's SP Jan 23

leolion11

On the Ice
First time see Roman skating. He has star quality, good skating skills and performance skills. What's his jumping repertoire? any quads?

I loved Roman's skate. Excited to see him develop.

And wow Nam :cheer: Hope he wins this nationals before Patrick comes back to claim his crown next season!

And poor Kevin :( I'm not his biggest fan but I'm very gutted for him. I hope he finds a solution to his problem, and I suppose changing coaches may help too. He hasn't really been improving under McLeod.

firal

Record Breaker
First time seeing Roman as well. Have to say I like the program quite a lot. Looking forward to seeing his FP.

I wonder what Patrick is thinking today when viewing from the sideline? As a top athlete, does it motivate you to come back more when the majority of the Canadian men were not doing so well and you know you can still be King, or is it better if they are hot on your heels? :think:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear that Keven withdrew but since his boots issue was resolved pretty recently, he could come back with a better form next season.

makaihime

Final Flight
First time seeing Roman as well. Have to say I like the program quite a lot. Looking forward to seeing his FP.

I wonder what Patrick is thinking today when viewing from the sideline? As a top athlete, does it motivate you to come back more when the majority of the Canadian men were not doing so well and you know you can still be King, or is it better if they are hot on your heels? :think:
Not sure how it would impact his own motivation but he looked kinda bored there :laugh:

kresslia

Medalist

I think if I was Patrick, seeing the crap out there today would have motivated me more to come back and show them all how it's done.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think if I was Patrick, seeing the crap out there today would have motivated me more to come back and show them all how it's done.

I don't think Patrick's plan has anything to do with the quality of Canadian Men. He knows as much as anybody else that he is the best in his own class in Canada if not the world, last year, this year and next year. But he wanted a year off the competitions and he's always intended to come back. He actually has his new LP already choreographed since last summer and he has been practicing his quads which are not needed at shows.

His time off offers the only opportunity in years for someone else to be the Canadian champion. Reynold was the sentimental favorite but he is out. Nam is Patrick's natural successor but interestingly and ironically, his destiny suddenly arrives earlier as he now seems primed to become the youngest Canadian Men Champion, thanks to Patrick's voluntary leave.

peg

Medalist
But Mao didn't given up after her SP in Sochi. There is nothing stopping him from competing except his own "sadness" which as an elite athlete shouldn't even be a variable. He should be able to rebound and the fact that he literally gave up just shows that he has no drive, i'm sorry but its embarrassing.

Mao wasn't going into Sochi with two seasons worth of boot problems, extremely limited training time, and literally zero competition mileage that season. You can't compare the two situations.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Is it me or does Nam have a bit more height in his jumps and has more speed compared to his earlier competitions? My only lingering impression of him coming to this Nationals is that he has this slow and deliberate style of skating but I felt he was skating more freely this competition, and I really liked the way he was expressing his music. Brian Orser seems to be doing a good job transitioning him to seniors. He finally has a promising Canadian skater after being constantly questioned on coaching foreign skaters to Olympic success. It's going to be interesting with Orser continuing to coach Hanyu and Javier and now Nam might possibly be a top skater going into the next Olympics.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
I don't think Patrick's plan has anything to do with the quality of Canadian Men. He knows as much as anybody else that he is the best in his own class in Canada if not the world, last year, this year and next year. But he wanted a year off the competitions and he's always intended to come back. He actually has his new LP already choreographed since last summer and he has been practicing his quads which are not needed at shows.

I hope that this past two years, and especially the Olympics, has taught Patrick that being the best is one thing, but he has to go out and actually deliver in the big moments. You can be the best in the world but that does not guarantee you anything as Kwan and Orser to name a few found out. He has to come back hungrier and grittier than he was in the past. It would be good for him if he continues to have a close rivalry with Hanyu, and even Javier/Denis Ten/Nam, to keep him on his toes and not get complacent.

geoskate

On the Ice
He has plenty of time to get valuable training time back and consistency back. I hope he get GP assignments next season.

How would Kevin get GP assignments next season? He won't have top 24 ranking or top 24 season's best, so he wouldn't be guaranteed anything. In fact, he willl be so far down the list after two poor seasons that likely won't even qualify for consideration. The only possibility for him would be a Skate Canada assignment (the competition), and that's only going to happen next season if he shows conclusive evidence to Skate Canada (the organization) that he really is back, and is significantly better than the other possible candidates for an assignment.

Is it me or does Nam have a bit more height in his jumps and has more speed compared to his earlier competitions?

He said he does, in a TSN interview. He said that's one of the advantages of growing taller - he has more power in his legs now, and can skate with more speed and jump higher (to quote him more ore less directly).

He probably does know if this is true or not, since he would watch videos of his performances and practices as part of his training, and would be able to spot differences in his own skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Men's skating in Canada is really disappointing right now to be objective. Nam has potential but doesn't he usually do a quad in the short; what is the issue? Yes, he needs more speed, power and amplitude on his jumps and spins to be blunt. ROman who is even younger needs he same but I think Nam is more consistent. Ten really is a lovely skater like Liam but just isn't consistent enough nor does he have the big tricks. This will hold him back.

Too bad about Balde. Kevin Reynolds well I think the boots and the injury were key to his poor performance. I was right; his media talk or shop talk was just that. You can't perform miracles and I am not sure his boots still fit - I note he said he would announce who made his boots after Nationals - I am sure the boot company might be askinghim to not mention their name. NOt to be rude but as to presentation what is with Kevin's hair. I can't believe it is even worse! It is longer and I have no idea what he is trying to do. At leasat before it was just bad style now it is horrible awkward and it doesn't even look like he is trying to style it It is worse than his Pippy long stalking meets a blender and a typhoon look. Seriously, I hope he comes back with proper boots, a new coach, a stylist and really works on who is on the ice. He is not Elvis or Kurt Browning and id not sell the program - even Vaughn Chipeur does a better job with this type of music selling it. I wish he woud have tried to skate the free program but I am sure his heart wasn't into it nor his skating boots sadly :(

Last edited:

blue_ice

On the Ice
Regards Kevin, it's all in his head. I think the boots issue is 99% psychological. It may start with physical fitting problem, but when you change hundreds of boots in two years, it went way beyond that. There is no chance of him back to peak form until he sorts out his head. Just my cents.

I agree

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think the boot problems are a valid reason for withdrawal. I'm wondering if maybe he will decide to seek additional coaching after this, even if he stays with McLeod (unless he already has sought additional coaching recently, I'm personally not sure).

It's a valid question to ask, because even beore this boot problem this season, Kevin has struggled with consistency for a number of years now. He kind of has the same issues as Jeremy Abbott and Emmanuel Sandhu (who was also coached by Joanne McLeod). So it's definitely a key point in Kevin's career where he will have to decide whether he wants to continue, or whether he wants to make a major change.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Too bad about Balde. Kevin Reynolds well I think the boots and the injury were key to his poor performance. I was right; his media talk or shop talk was just that. You can't perform miracles and I am not sure his boots still fit - I note he said he would announce who made his boots after Nationals - I am sure the boot company might be askinghim to not mention their name. NOt to be rude but as to presentation what is with Kevin's hair. I can't believe it is even worse! It is longer and I have no idea what he is trying to do. At leasat before it was just bad style now it is horrible awkward and it doesn't even look like he is trying to style it It is worse than his Pippy long stalking meets a blender and a typhoon look. Seriously, I hope he comes back with proper boots, a new coach, a stylist and really works on who is on the ice. He is not Elvis or Kurt Browning and id not sell the program - even Vaughn Chipeur does a better job with this type of music selling it. I wish he woud have tried to skate the free program but I am sure his heart wasn't into it nor his skating boots sadly :(
I was wondering if he had somekind of deformity or sickness when he was young?, it looks like he is trying to disguise the shape of is head.

Maybe is time for Kevin to change coaches, even with what happened here it still obvoius that he is one of Canada top men, maybe a change would be better to rise his confidence.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am so sad for Kevin. But I think part of the disaster is his coach. I think that in his condition he should have stick to a 3-3, 3A 3Lz/F. Without those stupid quads he could have lead, considering the best skaters are kids...

thoakun

Final Flight
I can't help thinking of relating Nam's success to Michelle Kwan's. Both are natural competitors and were born into immigrant families. In Nam's case, his parents came from Vietnam and figure skating is still an esoteric sport here. I admire his family's collective dedication to supporting him to become the best skater he can be.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I am so sad for Kevin. But I think part of the disaster is his coach. I think that in his condition he should have stick to a 3-3, 3A 3Lz/F. Without those stupid quads he could have lead, considering the best skaters are kids...

You know what, you're right about that. With an easier jump layout, he could have maybe landed everything, and then he would have at least held on to his national team spot.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
How would Kevin get GP assignments next season? He won't have top 24 ranking or top 24 season's best, so he wouldn't be guaranteed anything. In fact, he willl be so far down the list after two poor seasons that likely won't even qualify for consideration. The only possibility for him would be a Skate Canada assignment (the competition), and that's only going to happen next season if he shows conclusive evidence to Skate Canada (the organization) that he really is back, and is significantly better than the other possible candidates for an assignment.

I think he would be able to do a Challenger series skate. If he got a high score there, it can be used for assignments in the grand prix, or at least it was used that way this year.

sabinbenea

Rinkside
Good or bad, Kevin was many years next to Patrick by helping to obtain seats for Canada.
Do not forget that last year Canada had 3 seats for Olympics. US only 2 and they have many good men.
He can recover. He needs training.
I wish him all the best.