2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24 | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't think so... They got those high PCS with very good performances so I don't think they'll go up much more, not this season. I think it will be different when they are put next to the real PCS juggernauts: Mao for Evgenia and Chanyu for Shoma.

Well, this is a good start for Medvedeva and Uno. Normally Mao and Chanyu would have such a PCS lead over them that it wouldn't matter if they skated clean and Mao/Chanyu had errors, but at least Medvedeva/Uno's PCS indicates that the win will go to the skater who has the technical goods and not just the artistic advantage.

Rissa

Record Breaker
Well, this is a good start for Medvedeva and Uno. Normally Mao and Chanyu would have such a PCS lead over them that it wouldn't matter if they skated clean and Mao/Chanyu had errors, but at least Medvedeva/Uno's PCS indicates that the win will go to the skater who has the technical goods and not just the artistic advantage.

Hm, good point. But then again the leaders will have to watch themselves to turn in actually good performances in order to win, so there's the bright side!

ETA: well, it looks like Evgenia won't go against Mao until GPF... But wow at the ladies roster at Rostelecom.:shocked: It's going to be a bloodbath! I think I can forget Rika making the GPF...

Last edited:

IleK

On the Ice
Whether or not it's true is not the point. The point is how relentless she was about it. She was literally repeating herself. There's only so many times you can repeat how far she's fallen before it starts to seem like you're enjoying it

Was Tara still skating at Julia's age? I think not. She was herself a babyballerina who accomplished everyting before becoming a woman (and God she was ugly, I don't want to be rude but maybe she feels frustrated to see these pretty russian babes). And after that nothing. She doesn't know how difficut is to change in such a short time on tv, in front of the whole world who seesyou finnished. Liza was there, now is Julia's turn. Who knows if she can do what Liza did. I am not Julia's biggest fan but I felt once that my body wasn't mine anymore and I am a mother of a 5 years old boy and a one year old girl. And I feel Julia's pain.
And I wonder if this is why Russia sends her female skaters to seniors as soon as they are eligible, because they know that every month counts. If this is right or not, I don't know. They take these little girls to heaven and then... they show them the hell. But I suppose the girls say: let's take what we can and we are happy with that. I hope they are.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hm, good point. But then again the leaders will have to watch themselves to turn in actually good performances in order to win, so there's the bright side!

ETA: well, it looks like Evgenia won't go against Mao until GPF... But wow at the ladies roster at Rostelecom.:shocked: It's going to be a bloodbath! I think I can forget Rika making the GPF...

Hah, totally... skaters having to turn in a good performance in order to win, what a concept, eh! :laugh:

Don't count out Rika yet! Everyone always does and then she surprises people. ;)

karlowens2

On the Ice
I thoroughly agree with this. But mid-80's and mid-60's for programs with errors is rather high. By the end of the season will a clean Medvedeva be in the 70's or a clean Uno in the 90's? I would hope not - and I say that as huge fans of theirs. I still don't think they're good enough or their programs complex enough to get those types of PCS scores at this point. They do, however, deserve an opportunity to win just like the next skater - and not have to fight to make the podium just because they're getting junior-level PCS.

I totally agree with this. These PCS scores are too high. Does the ISU really think these new skaters are skating at the level of a Kim or Kostner. (My worst fantasy is that the judges can't see the difference themselves!)

megenta

Rinkside
I liked both of Gracie's programs. To me her subdued artistic style is also more appealing than "here's ART-get it- ARRRRT in your face" style that some skaters do.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It seems like Gold and Wagner are probably second and third for pcs after Mao (though Liza could throw a wrench in things). I am not all that impressed with Miyara. Evgenia is an interesting twist to the plot though in Russia it seems like they throw you away like a tissue. A bad year, growth spurt you get replaced we have seen it with Maria butyrskaya, Irina slutksaya,, Sokolova, Soldatova and even Liza, Julia and maybe even Adelina. It appears Julia is having huge problems with her growth and confidence. Very sad. As for Tara, this is mean but I always think gold medallists from the Oly should realize how lucky they are especially if the barely won or won under controversy, timing ie the consistent skater got injured, skated badly or started going down hill (age) and you were just there at the right time or kind of really fluked out so this would include most skaters ie. Boitano, Witt, Hanyu, Adelina, tara, baiul, Evan... Anyways, I thought Gold had this one but I guess not. I know she will spin it aas a positive but I am disappointed - I thought though she was kind of lucky to be marked so high compared to Evgenia in the freeskate.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Quick thoughts after seeing most of the LP videos:

Evgenia interested me in the SP, but I was not pulled into her LP. I will pay more attention the next time I watch that program- at a future event- but it was not extraordinary in an athletic or artistic sense.

Gracie surprised me. I had not seen her Firebird program yet, but I liked it more than (if my brain is working well right now) her past Frank Carroll/Lori Nichol long programs. It certainly seemed notches above what I thought was Phantom of the Opera garbage. Her jumps looked higher than some programs in the past two seasons, and they are the main reason I like watching her, so it was nice to see.

I had not seen Satoko perform this program until just now, and it finally made me better understand those who write about her being something special. I do not recall liking her stuff last season, and her SP did not wow me in any sense. I felt that this program had decent enough jumps, at least one impressive spin, and excellent edges and use of the music.

I felt a big break between those three and the remaining LPs, so I will not comment further.

Not an exhilarating set of skating for me, but not a disaster.

TheCzar

On the Ice
I have no qualms with the results, except for those laughable PCS scores. In what world is Medvedeva at this level a mid-8 and Tursynbaeva a mere high-6 average, when truly they are not that far apart?

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
wow, just realized the judges threw 67 PCS for Evgenia in her first senior grand prix.
Maybe 70 without the fall on 2A o.o

She has nice line but i didn't feel anything.

Leonardo

Final Flight
wow, just realized the judges threw 67 PCS for Evgenia in her first senior grand prix.
Maybe 70 without the fall on 2A o.o

She has nice line but i didn't feel anything.

Mao got 69 in Japan Open and some thought she was overscored because the competition was in Japan! Ridiculous!

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Mao got 69 in Japan Open and some thought she was overscored because the competition was in Japan! Ridiculous!

If they are both in the same competition and Evgenia gets 70, then Mao will get 78, simple!

It seems there is a general tendency towards scoring pcs higher and higher, no matter what competition, it it'd be ok if they weren't going to run out of scale soon.

I wonder what goes through the judges heads. Do they calculate how many points a skater should receive for their skate? Every point counts...Perhaps if the factoring on pcs was changed, and it'd be easier to gain points, the judges would bring the pcs marks down to a more reasonable level. But then the gap between the better and poorer pcs gainers would get even bigger and some judges might feel the need to compensate by overmarking... Whew. Well, they'll just have to expand the scale from 10 to 12. Heh, wouldn't that be a doozy, trying to justify that. :biggrin: Then they could inflate the scores (but equally!!!) all they wanted for a few years.Then we could have a big judging system overhaul again. Which would include audience voting... (Plushenko and Michelle Kwan would win the Olympics after that, although Takahasi, Hanyu, Yuna and Mao would give them a run for their money.)

Last edited:

Leonardo

Final Flight
If they are both in the same competition and Evgenia gets 70, then Mao will get 78, simple!

Let's see...I don't think it will be that simple. So many people complain about overscoring for japanese ladies, but actually they are underscored more often than not, even in Japan. Satoko got higher pcs here (w/ a fall) than in Japan Open with a perfect performance, but still 3 points less than Medvedeva. Outrageous. Another Akiko story, very sad. Lipnitskaya with a fall got bigger pcs than a perfect Mao in the olympics, not to mention Sotnikova. The examples are endless...And 135 with a fall (67 pcs) is simply too much for Medvedeva with that performance. It's as simple as that. This is not russian nationals.

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Miyahara's PCS reminds me of Suzuki's at 2012 Skate Canada. I am afraid this year's NHK trophy is going to be a re-enactment of 2012.

Meoima

Match Penalty
People should not forget that scores at SA are often quite generous, especially for junior skaters who have reputation (like dominate the junior field) and debut there. :) I agree Evgebnia's PCS is too high. But that's SA for you.

Leonardo

Final Flight
People should not forget that scores at SA are often quite generous, especially for junior skaters who have reputation (like dominate the junior field) and debut there. :) I agree Evgebnia's PCS is too high. But that's SA for you.

Radionova was a two time junior world champion with gorgeous artistry and program, but got 62 pcs last year in SA with a better performance (and no falls). Evgenia is lovely, but her score was the ultimate definition of overscoring.