2016-17 Russian Test skates | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Russian Test skates

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Just as a side note: Averbuch and his then-wife Lobacheva skated in SLC at the 2002 Olympics to what they called a "tribute", supposedly about 911, which had happened only a few months earlier. It went over like a lead balloon. So this program is not exactly a new idea on his part.

I wouldn't say a lead balloon it almost won gold and some say it should have we won't talk about the sad fact that K and O were forced to retire due to injury (tears). The gold medallists weren't much better. Seemed to be a second class dance competition.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It went over like a lead balloon WITH THE PUBLIC. Many were outraged at L/A's attempt to ride the tide of raw emotion so soon after such a tragedy.

The judges, who have their own agenda, decided the medals. BTW, if L/A had won gold with that program, there would have been an uproar.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say a lead balloon it almost won gold and some say it should have we won't talk about the sad fact that K and O were forced to retire due to injury (tears). The gold medallists weren't much better. Seemed to be a second class dance competition.

Not a second class competition, but a very tight nervous free dance for all of the medal contenders. It was a coup for Lobacheva & Averbuch to win that silver. Up against two World champions and a four-time World bronze medal team and skating in North America. They did well and considering the fact that the next two teams fell down and the team below them had an obvious error in the OD, it may well have been the least disputed medal of L&A's career. Lobacheva & Averbuch had the misfortune of being at their best at a poor time. Today, their placements would be considered a success in Russian dance (they certainly achieved a lot more than the team of Ilinykh & Katsalapov). At the time, though, L&A were coming off the tail end of a Soviet/Russian dynasty that had won all but one Olympic gold medal, including every gold in the previous four Olympics. And, of course, the story was always that he had left Anissina, who wound up taking the crown. Tracy Wilson's "block judging conspiracy" commentary in 1998 and 2001 tainted the audiences' view of their skating. They were never one of my favorite teams, but I do believe they would have been viewed differently under different circumstances or at a different time. My favorite L&A program will always be their Tutti Frutti OD in 1998.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It went over like a lead balloon WITH THE PUBLIC. Many were outraged at L/A's attempt to ride the tide of raw emotion so soon after such a tragedy.

The judges, who have their own agenda, decided the medals. BTW, if L/A had won gold with that program, there would have been an uproar.

I don't know how much the problem was them being Russian ice dancers and so much of the media taking the position that no Russian team was really good and all their good results were because of politics. Like is mentioned above.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The uproar would have been about them winning WITH THAT PROGRAM, not because they are Russian.
That Olympics had some weird ice dance free skates, but L/A's blatant attempt to cash in on 911 was the worst.
Anissina/Peizerat did a dirge to Martin Luther King, and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio did I Will Survive and he barely did after he fell and she gave him that death stare.
Barbara and Marina were archrivals and Barbara was incensed that Marina had the gold and she had to settle for bronze.

Last edited:

blue_ice

On the Ice
Anna is amazing, improved so much. Artistically she is the best among all Russian girls. But the dress would be better red for the LP.
Good luck to Anna! Zhenya, technically good, but so boring (yawning)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I like Serafima's program the most, glad she kept it! She just needs to stop trying to do those darn arms over the head on all of her jumps. At least her Triple Toes in combo! It's making her mess them up. For whatever reason her double axel is still really weak too, needs to fix that.

Adelina's program is really good, I'd like to see it with the spins now (even though I know the spins will be exactly as the same as what she has always done). I'm skeptical that she will be competitive technically, but it's still good to have her out there.

Pogorilaya's program is quite good as well, a very unusual combination of music and it works. Still needs some more detail and intensity, but hopefully that is already planned to come later in the season as she masters the choreography more.

Lipnitskaia is nice to watch, another odd mixture of music that ends up working, but it doesn't seem that she will be able to compete technically in the LP.

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
I like Serafima's program the most, glad she kept it! She just needs to stop trying to do those darn arms over the head on all of her jumps. At least her Triple Toes in combo! It's making her mess them up. For whatever reason her double axel is still really weak too, needs to fix that.

Adelina's program is really good, I'd like to see it with the spins now (even though I know the spins will be exactly as the same as what she has always done). I'm skeptical that she will be competitive technically, but it's still good to have her out there.

Pogorilaya's program is quite good as well, a very unusual combination of music and it works. Still needs some more detail and intensity, but hopefully that is already planned to come later in the season as she masters the choreography more.

Lipnitskaia is nice to watch, another odd mixture of music that ends up working, but it doesn't seem that she will be able to compete technically in the LP.
I think if Yulia will clean she can easily make GPF and European/World team :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Sadly I think this will be the rough season for Elena. The writing was on the wall last season, and I think this will be the year for her to fully grow into her 'new' body. Maybe better this season, than next season, but I also believe that this season the pre-olympic, one is very, very important. Evgenia still doesn't show any of the weaknesses of puberty and maybe she never will. I wish it for her, but I have my doubts. Actually I'd rather have all of them to have their problematic season this year. At the moment I don't see how anyone can beat Med, if she continues on like that. But she still seemed little girlish to me, body wise and program wise, (only watched her SP). I believe the trinity of competitioneers has two constants in the form of Evgenia and Anna. If they continue to skate reasonably well, we will see them at Euros and Worlds, and Anna hopefully will be back at GPF. That leaves a third spot, which I think Elena won't get. I think they all love this girl, and I wish her all the best also, but I doubt she can hold on this year. Will Lipnitskaia make the team instead? I'm not sure....there are so many good ones. It is certainly the most exciting ladies team ever. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
Davankova/Shibnev.

Thanks I like them. At least she is moving on the ice her own. Not everyday you can see russian dance girl moving freely on the ice. :biggrin: Good entry and exits from lifts. They can make European team over S/K because they have better elements+flow and S/B because simply they have better skating skills. Of course those are not important they need to make names themselfs. Do they have any Grand Prix?

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Thanks I like them. At least she is moving on the ice her own. Not everyday you can see russian dance girl moving freely on the ice. :biggrin: Good entry and exits from lifts. They can make European team over S/K because they have better elements+flow and S/B because simply they have better skating skills. Of course those are not important they need to make names themselfs. Do they have any Grand Prix?

Nope. She transfered from pairs to ID only year ago. They're training with Morozov.

Marta25

Medalist

There is still an empty host spot at Cup of Russia. I guess it`s between them and Popova/Mozgov, but since he is apparently injured, I can imagine that Davankova/Shibnev`s chances look good to get the spot.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
There is still an empty host spot at Cup of Russia. I guess it`s between them and Popova/Mozgov, but since he is apparently injured, I can imagine that Davankova/Shibnev`s chances look good to get the spot.

I'm sure Nikolay will make everything possible to give her that spot. What a present that would be? :biggrin:

elif

Medalist
Nope. She transfered from pairs to ID only year ago. They're training with Morozov.

Hell no. Morozov got best girl ice dancer again? Ilinykh and his coaching never worked. Why he can't work with Stepanova+Sinitsina+Bobrova?

It is good thing she switched dance. She have better skating skills and carriage than top russian dancers. Flow and elements are there too.

Marta25

Medalist
I'm sure Nikolay will make everything possible to give her that spot. What a present that would be? :biggrin:

Well, it`s not like the Fed has a lot of choices for that third spot. Yanovskaya/Mozgov probably would have had the best chance to get it, but that`s all in the past, unfortunately.