2016-17 State of Japanese Ladies Skating | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Japanese Ladies Skating

ioanna

Record Breaker
The situation with the Japanese ladies right now reminds me of the men's situation at the 2006 Olympics. Daisuke Takahashi and Takeshi Honda were supposed to compete at 2005 Worlds and try to keep 2 spots (or eventually get another) for the Olympics. Unfortunately, Honda got seriously injured in practice just before the competition and Takahashi was left alone. He placed 15th and Japan only had one spot for the Olympics. Needless to say the 2005-2006 Japanese Nationals were a painful experience for everyone involved. Oda was originally declared the winner but a scoring error was discovered and Takahashi ended up winning and going to the Olympics. Honda finished on a distant 5th place.

Just look at the devastated looks of both Takahashi and Oda. It's a painful reminder that things don't always go as expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho1LcgU3AaA

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The situation with the Japanese ladies right now reminds me of the men's situation at the 2006 Olympics. Daisuke Takahashi and Takeshi Honda were supposed to compete at 2005 Worlds and try to keep 2 spots (or eventually get another) for the Olympics. Unfortunately, Honda got seriously injured in practice just before the competition and Takahashi was left alone. He placed 15th and Japan only had one spot for the Olympics. Needless to say the 2005-2006 Japanese Nationals were a painful experience for everyone involved. Oda was originally declared the winner but a scoring error was discovered and Takahashi ended up winning and going to the Olympics. Honda finished on a distant 5th place.

Just look at the devastated looks of both Takahashi and Oda. It's a painful reminder that things don't always go as expected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho1LcgU3AaA

I'm glad Oda did get to go in 2010 at least, but yeah that was cray, I remember that. Kozuka or Oda probably should have also gone in 2014 but unfortunately for them Takahashi had more consistent results prior (and, of course, was more beloved among fans).

I'm hoping the Japanese team is Miyahara and Mihara. Honda has potential, but her consistency is not quite assured beyond her excellent showing at Junior Worlds. Mihara really proved herself this season (especially with the fortitude to come back at Worlds and place a very respectable 5th in her debut at Worlds, after a 4CC win no less).

I think at this point, we won't see another Oda situation because (assuming Miyahara will take one spot, if she's in form) the other girls are pretty much on even playing field as far as who "deserves" to go and whoever does the best at Nationals will earn the 2nd spot. It really does suck that they only have 1 spot, because I'd love for a 3rd Japanese skater (whoever that may be) to go and get the experience that could help her towards 2022.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Satoko Miyahara signs contract with Kinoshita Group, receives funds for treatment and new ice rink in hometown
http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/winte...rom=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rough translation:

2015 World Silver Medalist Satoko Miyahara has signed a multi-year contract with Kinoshita Group, The contract covers the PyeongChang Olympics as she is considered the top candidate to become the successor of recently retired Mao Asada. She will receive strong support in her aim to recover from her hip injury and medal at the Olympics.

There are many top lady skaters who are represented by their high schools and universities, but few of them sign with companies. From now on she will be affiliated with both Kansai University and Kinoshita Group. There will be an official announcement soon.

According to insiders, Kinoshita Group has sympathized with Miyahara’s dreams and great efforts and has offered the contract. From now on she will receive the best support. The company plans on building an ice rink in Miyahara’s hometown Kyoto, so she will be able to concentrate on her practice in even better conditions.

In addition, she will receive oxygen capsules worth 1 million yen to help her recover. She will also receive a “support pack” which she can carry abroad. A support pack contains Japanese food, body care products, medicine and daily necessities for her to always be in perfect condition.

Miyahara is leading the battle for the two Olympic spots. Due to a stress fracture of the hip joint she has missed the Asian Games, Four Continents and World Championships this season. She is currently preparing to return to practice little by little. As the new generation’s ace, she has received Mao’s torch on her road to ascend to the Olympic podium.

Well then.

Miller

Final Flight
It will be exciting for Japanese ladies because none of the top ladies is a lock. The unpredictability creates excitement.
Marin is only 15, and she will continue to grow next year. It night be her best year to have the best combination of jumping ability (still light) and artistry (not too juniorish). Mai should have better programs to be competitive. I think her team didn't really expect her to do so well in her first junior year, and didn't package her with mature-enough programs. If Satoko is no longer injured, it would be fair if she is on the team. She is still the best Japanese lady after Sochi. Her tiny jumps did not prevent her from reaching GPF silver or World Silver. But wait, there is Kaori.
Right now I count Rika and Wakaba out.

I wouldn't rule out Wakaba. Can't see any reason why she can't 'do a Gabby Daleman'. She's got all the jumps, good presence on the ice and with a following wind (agree with mcq that the judges weren't into her at Worlds, clean SP was lower than TdF despite popped flip at the latter, Gabby virtually same at both). But yes if she skates clean (same for loads of ladies) she could do really well.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
That's a beautiful triple A! I read on another board (from a poster who translated from an article in Japanese) that Wakaba's coach said this was the first time she landed it so cleanly, and that she doesn't plan to do it at WTT but hopes to put it in her LP next season.

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
Yay Wakaba! It's such a shame her season didn't go so well but (consistent) 3A will certainly put her in contention of the Olympic spots.

itsakurinut

Rinkside
I'm really excited for Wakaba! I went into this season considering her my favorite for Team Japan, but recently, Mai had won me over. But this recent development has gotten me all excited for her again! I honestly hope she does amazing at WTT.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Yeah, she needs to land it in international competition to be in club :laugh: But it looks so gooood :love:

thoakun

Final Flight
You don't know how hard 3A is until you see Wakaba's entry into her jump with an extremely focussed and determined face like her life depended on it :bow:, but it looked extraordinary. Go Wakaba :clap:.

Tulipstar

Medalist
Amazing development! I really don'the know what'she gowing to happen now. Wish they had that third spot for the Olympics😢

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I will miss her, but I also think it is the right decision. There is a generation change happening right now.