2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of Canadian Figure Skating

all that

Final Flight
Skater Boy are you doing an mid-season assessment? It's better to wait until GPF is done, but let me respond to you.

Tessa & Scott are not going to be winning anything this year. I've come to understand their plan is to gun for the titles next year. This year is about getting used to the new rules, and new style du jour in ice dance, and get their competition legs under them. They let the nerves get to them in Skate Canada in front of a home crowd after two years of not competing. Weaver/Poje have not gone down hill - they stagnated. They needed a change, they and their coaches made one in going to Morozov and Russia. They're planning on peaking later because they changed their programs so much early in the season. Gilles/Poirier have been told to wait their turn while improving their tech. They've embraced that role for now.

I think V/M have a good chance of winning Nationals this year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Find a short lady, then. Plenty around here.

Ultimate goal is throw 3A in the SP and throw 4S & 4Lz in the FS. Though she did make a joke about the 3A in the FS next season.

There are people in another thread wanting to devalue quads in pairs to discourage them.

That's nuts.

Meagan and other pair skaters have called out the ISU for how low the value of quads is in pairs vs. single skating.

But then again, anything that helps your favs win should be in... :sarcasm:

Well they would need to devalue the quad twist too especially. The quads and 3A throws are already devalued compared to single jumps.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
well there's no reason they would stick with thr3lz... so i m not sure why he considered that?

and yes.. throw quads deserve more points..
I don't think they can really do either or the throw triple or quad lutz they have to pick one as it r uins their timing as we saw last year.

mrrice

Record Breaker

Nam.......You cute little thing. Tell me what's happening with your GF, Polina Edmunds. Is she planning to focus on College and take this season off?

P.S. That hair is workin' for you, dude. It looks good........:2thumbs:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FYI for anyone who frowned upon USFS president Sam Auxier serving as a GP judge:

Skate Canada president Leanna Caron will be at NHK as an official -- meaning as a judge or member of the tech panel, I assume.

During her tenure as president of Skate Canada, it will be at least the third GP at which Caron will have officiated.​

Go, Tessa/Scott; Elladj; and all :yay:.

TGee

Record Breaker
FYI for anyone who frowned upon USFS president Sam Auxier serving as a GP judge:
Skate Canada president Leanna Caron will be at NHK as an official -- meaning as a judge or member of the tech panel, I assume.
During her tenure as president of Skate Canada, it will be at least the third GP at which Caron will have officiated.​

Go, Tessa/Scott; Elladj; and all :yay:.

Good point about Lena....

.....now I'm wondering if they need to judge at a certain level of competition within a certain time limit to maintain their status as ISU judges at at the Worlds or Olympic levels....

Not all heads of federations are top ranked judges, but for those that are and are elected to the leadership of their federation, maintaining their credentials while holding office may be essential.....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
And Tessa and Scott made this gif, at Cricket!??, on their way to NHK....

https://mobile.twitter.com/tessavirtue/status/800707220023508996

This is from CBC's coverage of NHK Trophy last season. For some reason they filmed segments with them at The Cricket for NHK, GPF, and 4CC. In the NHK one they talked about being recognized in Tokyo, and how Tessa wouldn't even get recognized in London. But Scott said he'd recognize her... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMpnslIH8RY

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i know that... my point is that when he tweeter considered layouts, he went for all the possible highest scoring elements S/M would do but just took D/R's placeholder throw... meagan explained clearly that they would work only on the 3A for now, not the 4Lz... as if ever the 3A doesn't come steady, they would bring back the 3Lz in the short... for the long, the 3Lz is just a placeholder... she can switch it when she is confident with the 3A... to either a 3A or either the 4Lz... we will not see that 3lz for much longer IMHO...
I don't think they can really do either or the throw triple or quad lutz they have to pick one as it r uins their timing as we saw last year.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well they would need to devalue the quad twist too especially. The quads and 3A throws are already devalued compared to single jumps.

i think the pairs need their own scoring system....
BV is about what's more difficult and should be rewarded as such...

I feel that for instance, the SBS jumps need to be marked on a different scale than singles...

for instance, the 3Ts are much easier to synch than the 3S...

the 3L is very rare for a good reason... and it should be higher than what it is now compared to 3T and 3S...

the 3Lutz is so rare and so tricky to synch that D/R should be getting more than just the normal single's skating BV of 6 for that element... I think there should be more differentiation... Same with 3t-3t... so hard to do compared to 3t-2t-2t... I'd be okay to make a bigger difference for true hard combos in pairs.

I'd give the same treatment for easier throws... and also would make sure that quads are rewarded... it's ridiculous how they are not....

And I agree... the quad twist scores way too high compared to other quads in pairs... pretty much a triple twist with level 4 scores higher than a throw triple axel... let's not even consider the quad twist...

TGee

Record Breaker
i think the pairs need their own scoring system....
BV is about what's more difficult and should be rewarded as such...

I feel that for instance, the SBS jumps need to be marked on a different scale than singles...

for instance, the 3Ts are much easier to synch than the 3S...

the 3L is very rare for a good reason... and it should be higher than what it is now compared to 3T and 3S...

the 3Lutz is so rare and so tricky to synch that D/R should be getting more than just the normal single's skating BV of 6 for that element... I think there should be more differentiation... Same with 3t-3t... so hard to do compared to 3t-2t-2t... I'd be okay to make a bigger difference for true hard combos in pairs.

I'd give the same treatment for easier throws... and also would make sure that quads are rewarded... it's ridiculous how they are not....

And I agree... the quad twist scores way too high compared to other quads in pairs... pretty much a triple twist with level 4 scores higher than a throw triple axel... let's not even consider the quad twist...

I agree, both the SBS jumps and spins should have higher BV than in singles, and that throw jumps need different values...and you are on the mark about how the IJS code of points is still looking at things like they are just a sum of the parts....

.....I'm really attracted to a suggestion that combination jumps should not just be the sum of the two jumps scores, but rather that the BV for certain combos should be increased to account for differences in degree of difficulty.

It may be that the new GOE norms will get at some of this, but I'd really like to see the a tough combo get a higher BV from the start of the second or third jump is decently rotated.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
OK Canadians......This clip was actually featured on a show here in the US. It totally cracked me up. I'm up cooking and it's almost 2am here in Clovis, Ca. It's Rick Mercer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM3hMCzau0E

If you're Canadian, you probably can't hear his Canadian " Accent " but, trust me. He sounds very Canadian to me and I love it. Beware Canada, You just might see a Chocolate Smurf in Toronto before the next Olympics.

Last edited:

skater85

Rinkside
OK Canadians......This clip was actually featured on a show here in the US. It totally cracked me up. I'm up cooking and it's almost 2am here in Clovis, Ca. It's Rick Mercer.

If you're Canadian, you probably can't hear his Canadian " Accent " but, trust me. He sounds very Canadian to me and I love it. Beware Canada, You just might see a Chocolate Smurf in Toronto before the next Olympics.

His accent is so distinct because he's from Newfoundland :) Fun fact, this is also where Kaetlyn Osmond is from. I believe she left there fairly early in her life, so she doesn't have much of an accent at all, but I can hear it in her a little on certain words.

Rick Mercer has done many bits on his show with Canadian skaters in the past as well.

https://youtu.be/_ZCf_o6aV6g

https://youtu.be/MokPxcLdQvU

Sk8DSmom

Rinkside

OMG! This reminds me of Howard Wolowitz and his (now deceased) mom on Big Bang Theory with all the yelling!

Sackie

Medalist
Just wondering about Tessa and Scott! I know this is a building year towards the Olympics but can't help but wonder if they may rethink things if they do not place well at this year's worlds. I mean if they are not close to P/C and the judges therefore make it clear that P/C are the top dance team at this moment do you think they will stay in knowing they have little chance at a Gold Medal. I mean look at the year leading up to the last Olympics - the judges made it clear that no matter what D/W were going to win. Even when D/W made mistakes in their programs they were not dinged as harshly as V/M. And so far the same thing is happening with P/C - they are not dinged as harshly when they make errors.
There is also the possibility that V/M may not even medal at worlds this year - and in that case you really have to wonder if they will keep going just for the thrill of competing in another Olympics.

TGee

Record Breaker
I've just been looking at the results of the draws in terms of starting order. :think:

Alaine has first spot for the SP. I don't know if that's a plus or minus for her. Given that she hasn't had as strong an SP this season, it might be better for her psychologically, but if she does well, it might not be as well scored as compared to skating later.

Nam on the other hand will skate last. We've seen that it can be difficult. On the other hand, it worked in Kevin Reynolds' favour in breaking people's expectations as he returns from injury.

Elladj has, I think, a good draw in the middle of the last flight before Hanyu.

Tessa and Scott also have a good spot at the beginning of the second flight.

Meagan and Eric skate second. There are so few pairs in this event, and they are so relatively strong, that I suspect this will have negligible impact...