2016 French Figure Skating Championships | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2016 French Figure Skating Championships

Marta25

Medalist
I`m not sure what to say about the FD. There is no question that they are amazing skaters, the way Cizeron moves is :luv17:, but I`m not sure I like what Dubreuil/Lauzon are doing right now with them. P/C used to be very voidy as Juniors and I hope that their coaching team isn`t going to push them into the lovey dovey niche, because these two are not P/I or one of their other teams. IMO, P/C are absolutely able to do very different styles. Their new FD suits them, but I just hope they will take more risks for next season, when Gabriella has completely healed from her injury.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Before I get attacked by a mob of P/C ubers, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of this team, that I have been since they were JUNIORS, and that their talents and skills as dancers are second to none of those currently competing.

With that said, I have only one thing to say about this FD:

It will be a good test to show just how big a part reputation plays in the scoring.

I am BEYOND disappointed.

And here I was avoiding to post that this FD is average stuff at best, and if other teams skated it they would be trashed for being mushy copycats... pretty disappointing, I expected much better. The same effect Weaver/Poje have on me this season. They're not one trick ponies, they need to show some versatility in the future.

katha

On the Ice
Before I get attacked by a mob of P/C ubers, let me say that I am a HUGE fan of this team, that I have been since they were JUNIORS, and that their talents and skills as dancers are second to none of those currently competing.

With that said, I have only one thing to say about this FD:

It will be a good test to show just how big a part reputation plays in the scoring.

I am BEYOND disappointed.
I think now it becomes clear where D/L's limitations as coaches and choreographers lie. D/L as a dance pair sure loved their sappy lovey dovey stuff. And they are pulling all the pairs that train with them in that direction. At this point this is actively sabotaging Paul and Islam's career IMO. And P/C's programs don't look very fresh, they also don't look as technically challenging as they could be. Of course they'll have improved by Euros, but you do kinda expect more from World Champions, don't you? My question then becomes: Are D/L capable of doing a different style convincingly? Shpilband/Zoueva also did their cookie cutter stuff, but even there they had outliers: Eleanor Rigby, Pink Floyd, Bollywood, Tango and Latin Medley. Even the conventional stuff wasn't an endless repetition of the same: D/W's Fledermaus had a different feel than Notre Dame. Mahler didn't feel like the Latin Medley, which didn't feel like Funny Face.

And here I was avoiding to post that this FD is average stuff at best, and if other teams skated it they would be trashed for being mushy copycats... pretty disappointing, I expected much better. The same effect Weaver/Poje have on me this season. They're not one trick ponies, they need to show some versatility in the future.

They did already.

Watch their past programs.

This FD is not the same kind of and wasn't constructed at all like last's year, sorry, if you can't see it.

They were litterally flying on the ice including while doing their elements which isn't the case of ALL their competitors. They trash all the others here, on this only, I'm quite sure the judges will put them first again. At least Euros are in the bag because judges, when they will see french and italians back to back won't have any doubt who is better (now if we have Margaglio as TC...).

People think it's an easy dance just because they are so good they make it so easy on the eyes but ask CapLanotte or Weaver Poje or CB to skate it and you'll see how hard it is.

People can only rely on lifts by now it seems whereas it isn't really a dance element as they are done now.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think now it becomes clear where D/L's limitations as coaches and choreographers lie. D/L as a dance pair sure loved their sappy lovey dovey stuff. And they are pulling all the pairs that train with them in that direction. My question then becomes: Are D/L capable of doing a different style convincingly?

I agree and I think it's so apparent because they have become the popular new dance hub this season. They're obviously flooded with teams, and there is no way all those teams are going to demonstrate improvement, but these teams could certainly have a broader range of programs that show off different athletes' strengths and/or challenge them to grow in different ways. Rather than all being "soft and flowy." I suspect everyone is a bit short on time and overwhelmed. This seems to happen every time a new dance coach hits the "market" so to speak. That said, I agree that D&L's style as choreographers is very similar to their style as skaters, which I found to be rather limited. However, I don't think they have to be limited as coaches. Hurtado & Diaz's Paso last season--which apparently had David Wilson/Antonio Najarro/and Marie-Patrice accredited with the choreography--was stellar. And Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson also broke out with their Paso program. (I'm not finding anyone other than Marie-Patrice listed as F-B&S's choreographer from last season so perhaps she did this one alone, but it's interesting how similar some of their elements were to H&D's paso). I wouldn't describe either of those programs as "soft and flowy." So it seems, at the very least, that D&L are capable of supporting and helping their teams develop an outside choreographer's work if they seek more versatility. I hope both they and their teams will try this more often next season. D&L's lifts, as always, are wonderfully creative. And they do this romantic style well. But with the SD already being the waltz, a little--or a LOT--of pizzazz or drama or even a straight-forward tango would not go amiss in the free skates, IMO.

As for P&C, I enjoyed their FD. It's not my kind of style, but I think they perform it very well. Glad to see them back.

Last edited:

Snow63

Record Breaker
This FD is not the same kind of and wasn't constructed at all like last's year, sorry, if you can't see it.

Of course it wasn't constructed like last year's, I see that, I'm not blind, you know? I was talking about choreography, possibly the idea, the mood. A lot of crossovers, two footed skating, lack of dance close holds - that's what stood out for me here. I don't want to sound like hater, because I'm not one, but last season's FD, and this season's SD and FD are all look very similar to me. That's what people call 'limited'.

I don't doubt their skating abilities (very good and strong), their style (light and airy) and execution of technical elements (solid mostly), but the dance is big dissapointment, at least for me. People trash Cappellini/Lanotte that all their dances look the same, Papadakis/Cizeron are on their path to that. Sadly.

They were litterally flying on the ice including while doing their elements which isn't the case of ALL their competitors. They trash all the others here, on this only, I'm quite sure the judges will put them first again. At least Euros are in the bag because judges, when they will see french and italians back to back won't have any doubt who is better (now if we have Margaglio as TC...).

I have my doubts, so I bookmarked your post. Just in case.

Last edited:

robredo40

On the Ice
the program is very dissapointing , what is the story anyway and the music is very boring and monotone , he is a wonderful skater though , they need to show more range in expression , the diagonal step sequence could get heavily penalized at euros if they don`t fixed it very few close holds and too wide a separation.

Snow63

Record Breaker
the program is very dissapointing , what is the story anyway and the music is very boring and monotone , he is a wonderful skater though , they need to show more range in expression , the diagonal step sequence could get heavily penalized at euros if they don`t fixed it very few close holds and too wide a separation.

The rules allow separation up to 5 seconds in their Diagonal step sequence, no more than 2 arm lengths. If the separation exceed 5 seconds or distance between partners is more than 2 arm lengths the separation should be considered as Not Permitted Element. I think you're right, the separation is too big. However, I doubt referee and judges will penalize them for that.
As for dance holds, they have recognizable Kilian, Waltz and Foxtrot. Enought for level 4. But overall I agree, it seems way too open.

robredo40

On the Ice
If there`s an italian on the tech Panel they will get penalized for sure their closest rivals there will be Capanelli and Lanotte, i remember what happenned to Chock and Bates at cup of china with their diagonal step sequence it got downgraded to level 2 so they had to redo it.

Snow63

Record Breaker
If there`s an italian on the tech Panel they will get penalized for sure their closest rivals there will be Capanelli and Lanotte, i remember what happenned to Chock and Bates at cup of china with their diagonal step sequence it got downgraded to level 2 so they had to redo it.

This penalty should be applied by referee and judges, not by tech panel. And the reason behind Chock/Bates low levels for their diagonal step sequence was not separation, but not distinct and held long enough waltz hold (most probably). They also got level 2 for it at SkAm, and there were no Cappellini/Lanotte or Italian tech controller.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I watched the dance. I had a really odd reaction to it. It was beautiful. He, especially, shone here. There was some nice polish to it. But I felt that Guillaume sort of outshines Gabriella. I think Guillaume has always been the better skater/dancer of the two, but it was really obvious here. Maybe it's reflects her injury and lost training time, but I feel even if she wasn't injured, I'd feel the same way. He is presenting her BIG time, and she sort of allows him to shine as the presenter instead.

At the same time, I did enjoy it to some extent, in fact, I enjoyed it in some ways then last year's FD.

I know, so many paradoxes.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
OH. MY. GOD.

Papadakis/Cizeron have my favorite Free Dance since Virtue/Moir's in 2011.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I watched the dance. I had a really odd reaction to it. It was beautiful. He, especially, shone here. There was some nice polish to it. But I felt that Guillaume sort of outshines Gabriella. I think Guillaume has always been the better skater/dancer of the two, but it was really obvious here. Maybe it's reflects her injury and lost training time, but I feel even if she wasn't injured, I'd feel the same way. He is presenting her BIG time, and she sort of allows him to shine as the presenter instead.

At the same time, I did enjoy it to some extent, in fact, I enjoyed it in some ways then last year's FD.

I know, so many paradoxes.

The latest TSL is interesting because they make the point that it is choreographed to allow him to shine, that there is a part where he is very much in the spotlight. I agree with them that it is refreshing. It never comes across like a lack of connection or greediness. He still presents her like nobody's business. But he is allowed a spotlight. I like that. Why should the guy always be wallpaper?

GF2445

Record Breaker
I ve been watching it over and over again to try and understand the hype. At this moment, i cant.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The latest TSL is interesting because they make the point that it is choreographed to allow him to shine, that there is a part where he is very much in the spotlight. I agree with them that it is refreshing. It never comes across like a lack of connection or greediness. He still presents her like nobody's business. But he is allowed a spotlight. I like that. Why should the guy always be wallpaper?

I think that's not bad at all, except she comes across much weaker, imo. I do agree with others that it lacks difficult choreo and holds. But I wasn't totally disappointed either.

I do agree also that that it shows a lack of range on the part of their coaches, but how much that hurts them remains to be seen.

TMC

Record Breaker
I liked it. Very much. And stationary lifts will always get all of the +GOEs from me :luv17:

dcnative

On the Ice
I'm very happy that they came out and flew across the ice beautifully for their FIRST competition in a while. I know they were on home turf and they really had no competition in terms of the other skaters, but they were not sloppy, and they did not take their performances lightly. I'm hoping that this free was the "free-lite" for this first outing and they are planning to increase the technical difficulty for later competitions. I love their costumes for the free.

Sackie

Medalist
I think that's not bad at all, except she comes across much weaker, imo. I do agree with others that it lacks difficult choreo and holds. But I wasn't totally disappointed either.

I do agree also that that it shows a lack of range on the part of their coaches, but how much that hurts them remains to be seen.

It's funny but when I watched it my first reaction was there seemed to be some spots where he was doing steps or turns or whatever moves and she was just skating along side or even almost standing still in one spot. I had to rewatch it to see if there was more to it - but no this was the case.
I agree it is a nice change for the guy to shine but not to the point that it shows how weak the lady partner is. And some of her leg positions in some of the moves really were bad!