2016 Rio: Track and Field | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Track and Field

alebi

Medalist
lol i was thinking about that too... let's arrange to push each other around and pick each other up ;)

Some of the decisions in this meet have been highly questionable. The DQ of the GB men in the 4x400m relay semi was another odd one. I don't understand why they don't put cameras right on each important line in the boxes to give irrefutable evidence.

And we had another nonsense in men's 5000m!!! Three athletes disqualified because they had a small (and so common) contact... Have these judges ever seen a 5000 before? If you have 15 men running in a group, how can they avoid contacts? We will end up running long distance in lane!! :sarcasm:
Obviously the Feds protested and the American and Canadian were readmitted.....

alebi

Medalist
Yeah, I was dissapointed how this competition went, too. And you were right, that probably no lady will jump 2.00 m after all...

High Jump (just like pole vault) is made not only by the final measure, but also by the path, the decisions, the risks the jumpers take. When a jumper decide to skip a measure or, after an error, to try the remaining two attempts at a higher bar... That's what make excitement and suspense. That's what make the COMPETITION.
Now, how could they skip a measure and jump 9 (NINE!!!!) centimetres higher. Obviously they were forced to jump every measure and since it brought soon to their limits, the competition was over after 3 jumps...

And I was also UNFORTUNATELY a good prophet when I said "a medal will be possible with clear attempts more than very high measures" some posts ago... Look at what happened to Chaunté Lowe...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
High Jump (just like pole vault) is made not only by the final measure, but also by the path, the decisions, the risks the jumpers take. When a jumper decide to skip a measure or, after an error, to try the remaining two attempts at a higher bar... That's what make excitement and suspense. That's what make the COMPETITION.
Now, how could they skip a measure and jump 9 (NINE!!!!) centimetres higher. Obviously they were forced to jump every measure and since it brought soon to their limits, the competition was over after 3 jumps...

And I was also UNFORTUNATELY a good prophet when I said "a medal will be possible with clear attempts more than very high measures" some posts ago... Look at what happened to Chaunté Lowe...

I'm not sure, but isn't usually the difference a 3 cm? So after 1.88 it would be 1.91 then 1.94... You are right that smaller difference make the supense better. The ladies that are less sure of their abilities wil jump one measure after another, but the best ones would probably skip one or two measures. But they couldn't do that at Olympics... There was no tactics at all in this competition. :(

alebi

Medalist
I'm not sure, but isn't usually the difference a 3 cm? So after 1.88 it would be 1.91 then 1.94... You are right that smaller difference make the supense better. The ladies that are less sure of their abilities wil jump one measure after another, but the best ones would probably skip one or two measures. But they couldn't do that at Olympics... There was no tactics at all in this competition. :(

Usually at the beginning the progression can be by 4 or 5 cm, depending on the first measure. Then, when you get to 190 you usually see a "more human" 3cm progression.

And to complete my rant.. in eptathlon KJT and Thiam finished the high jump with a 1.98... And I think this is more significant than 10000 words

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Usually at the beginning the progression can be by 4 or 5 cm, depending on the first measure. Then, when you get to 190 you usually see a "more human" 3cm progression.

And to complete my rant.. in eptathlon KJT and Thiam finished the high jump with a 1.98... And I think this is more significant than 10000 words

So it should be 1.88, then 1.92, then 1.95, and then 1.98... maybe organizators thought that since 17 ladies jumped 1.94 in qulai there will be no problems to jump 1.97?

alebi

Medalist
After this disappointing final day and the usual depression I feel when T&F is over :)p) I need a boost of happiness... And it can be only made by one (cursed) thing.... :shock2: ahahahahah :laugh:
*cross every finger*

alebi

Medalist
So it should be 1.88, then 1.92, then 1.95, and then 1.98... maybe organizators thought that since 17 ladies jumped 1.94 in qulai there will be no problems to jump 1.97?

I had exactly your same progression in my mind :thumbsup:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
After this disappointing final day and the usual depression I feel when T&F is over :)p) I need a boost of happiness... And it can be only made by one (cursed) thing.... :shock2: ahahahahah :laugh:
*cross every finger*

There's still marathon. But that's not the most important event for me today ;)

hamaguri

Record Breaker
HERE. Congratulations for new Asian record. Unbelievable Team Japan stand next to Jamaica!! :eekn: For me the most jaw-dropping moment so far at Rio :yes2:

I just found our anchor man Aska Cambridge is Jamaican/Japanese, and Not to mention Bolt's greatness. :cool:

Yes. I jumped and shouted before TV! My most impressive moment of Rio had been Uchimura before this 400 relay, but relay may take place of him. I couldnt believe my eyes.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Much is made of Aska Cambridge being half Jamaican and the genetics help him for sure, but it was funny to see the reporters try to talk to him in English when he really can't speak English. Another of his team mates talked to the press instead. He's 100% Japanese in his mind. :biggrin:

yhmafan

Medalist
Much is made of Aska Cambridge being half Jamaican and the genetics help him for sure, but it was funny to see the reporters try to talk to him in English when he really can't speak English. Another of his team mates talked to the press instead. He's 100% Japanese in his mind. :biggrin:

lol. Seems like another lovely moment from them. Do you have the link?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marathon: my favorite event!

So sad my man Meb did not medal, but what a class act! 40 years old and running with the youngsters.

Woot for Galen, first US marathon medal since Meb!:hap57:

Wasn't no one catching that leader for gold today;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i'll teach him :love::love::love::laugh2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
still not over canada's 3 4th places from yesterday... especially bishop's... 1m57 at 800m and no medal? ughhhh

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just realized the American men won more medals in the middle/long distance races than in the sprints. I'm not sure that's ever happened before.

Medals in the 800, 1500 (gold), 5000, and marathon.

Sprints: Only the 100 and 400. No gold, unless you count the 4x400.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Amazing run by Eliud Kipchoge! I can never believe that some can sprint at the end of the marathon! :shocked: Lilesa and Rupp did brilliantly too.

Really proud of Callum Hawkins for GB who came 9th in only his 3rd marathon, I believe. Very impressive Olympic debut.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Amazing run by Eliud Kipchoge! I can never believe that some can sprint at the end of the marathon! :shocked: Lilesa and Rupp did brilliantly too.

Really proud of Callum Hawkins for GB who came 9th in only his 3rd marathon, I believe. Very impressive Olympic debut.

I was really rooting for Hawkins! Very impressed by his tenacity in this race. Also so heartwarming to see he and his brother together when his brother finished.