2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Exactly. The problem is Polina lacks the IT factor, do you know what I mean? She is quiet. Even if she is underscored, she is quiet about it and puts a smile on her face. Never complained about her scores and continues to work hard. So how does one get the judges attention? Through excellent music choices and choreography like Yuzuru Hanyu, who is the greatest skater I have ever seen in my life, btw. If POlina can challenge herself and raise her level of programs choices, she will win, or at least remain a close competitive as long as she stays consistent :))

Though I agree with you that the best way to gain the Judges attention is to skate brilliantly, Polina is no quiet mouse when she feels she is underscored. She has contested levels given and edge calls in press conferences. -She's not shy about that sort of thing.
But I don't believe that skaters benefit by complaining about their scores to the press...much better if the show it in their skating.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Though I agree with you that the best way to gain the Judges attention is to skate brilliantly, Polina is no quiet mouse when she feels she is underscored. She has contested levels given and edge calls in press conferences. -She's not shy about that sort of thing.
But I don't believe that skaters benefit by complaining about their scores to the press...much better if the show it in their skating.

Oh wow, I didn't know she contested them! Good for her :) I don't follow skating that closely anymore, only to watch the youtube performances. Yes, better to prove them wrong, right :)

NicolettaL

Final Flight
I resigned to watch the competiton, because there was no stream outside icenetwork. I woke up and saw the result that made my mind blow.

Seriously judges. I know it's a freaking national competition, but blindly ingorning edge mistakes for everyone except Mirai? Seriously?...
I do like Polina's SP because it suits her beautyfull posture very well, and music is cool bulided up. After GP I dindn't expected her to do so well here. Thumb up for unexcpected and well deserved leader.
Gracie in my opinion should do some serious work with sport psyhologist, because I on purpose didn't checked how went program content for the girls before watching them. And when I saw Gracie entering the ice I knew that this will go wrong. I don't like her choreos this season, but I have to give her credit for not giving up with her combo. But I really think that she should not be so high. It kinda reminds me of annoying Patrick Chan cases because - bombing program content, but hey those fantastic edges -.-. She got worst possible draw for FP, as she is last after some serious contenders and this will sure mess up with her psycho.

Diva Wagner performance was not so on fire as it should be. 3+3 definetly was lacking of the rotation and she fell. Looking forward to strong redemption in the free. Girl, bring back Marissa Castelli dress ok?

Last edited:

edwinaskater1943

On the Ice
Hi Skater Boy....

I agree, Polina deserves a better costume as Scarlett, right? Ha. If you compare her dress and choreography and music cut to Alaine Chartrand of Canada's Gone with the Wind program, Alain's program blows Polina's away. Polina lacks a good choreographer with lacks good music choices. I think she should have Shailyn Bourne choreograph her program. It seems Canada have all the great choreographers.

Paulina should be in that gorgeous ruby red as only Scarlett can wear. Fabulous skate today

tulosai

Record Breaker
I wish I had looked at the results before watching all the videos I watched and just hadn't bothered. What an underwhelming competition. I probably wouldn't rewatch a single program even if someone had a gun to my head.

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
I was going to regret sleeping through the entire second half of ladies when I saw Pierce's score, but since everyone else except Edmunds and Wang didn't really do all that well... :slink:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just watched the performances of the top ladies in 360p (nothing better available) and I think that Polina was stunning. Her jumps look rotated and the flip was on an inside edge (I expected that, this is after all the most important competition for her this season). Regarding all the criticism towards her: one can maybe say that the setup for the 2A is rather long, but I don't see that she's telegraphing her jumps. The entrance into the combo is rather nice imho. The SP is well choreographed. She looks faster and her spins are very very good. I think she'll be the top US lady going into the next Olympics, the US Fed should start to really support her. She's the reigning 4CC champ after all (and I hope that she'll try to defend her title).
I think that if Gracie skates a clean FS she'll be US champion, no matter how Polina skates. And if Polina skates clean as well (no matter which dress she'll wear) I will not agree with that result. Polina should get a higher PCS in the US, otherwise she's no chance to get a good PCS internationally.
As much as I like Ashley and Gracie I'm beginning to think that they don't have the mental strength to really deliver when it counts.

amc987

On the Ice
I think Polina will probably make the World team. I don't think she'll take the title. If Gracie and/or Ashley skate clean long programs, they should more than be able to make up the 8+ point margin Polina has over them. Gold and Wagner have better programs-choreography, interpretation, skating skills, and speed. And they actually rotate their jumps in the air. Those things should be (and, IMO, will be) reflected in the marks as long as Gold and Wagner stay vertical on Saturday.

Tutto

Record Breaker
As much as I like Ashley and Gracie I'm beginning to think that they don't have the mental strength to really deliver when it counts.

I am afraid I have to agree with you. Oh Gracie :bang: So much talent and no competitive spirit at all. As a skater she is so much better than Polina but if she doesn't find the way to deal with her nerves Polina will overtake her internationally too and very soon.
If anyone on this forum say one more word about inconsistency of my darling Sasha I'll scream. If inconsistency means ending always on the podium with a great short and a long with one or two mistakes, then please get inconsistent Gracie I'll forgive you!

I don't want you to get depressed any further guys but I just read Russian comments to this effect:

'Russian skaters are so strong that they win even US Nationals' [referring to Polina's mother no doubt]

No comment.

Last edited:

neiokido

Spectator
im so frustrated and disappointed for gracie... but theres probably no one more dejected with the situation than she is. all that work and effort seem to go down the drain due to mental lapses.

its really her competition to lose

leafygreens

Final Flight
I don't think anyone can catch Polina. She is almost 8 points ahead.

It's not surprising that Ashley and Gracie faltered in SP, but I am surprised at the point difference.

Sad for Courtney and Mirai for the broken boot. She has the worst luck ever!

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker

It's not surprising that Ashley and Gracie faltered in SP, but I am surprised at the point difference.

Actually, if Gracie gives a GPF or better FS, she probably still could beat Polina... Same for Ashley.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gracie was scored too generously. If I were doing placements, I'd put her in fifth, behind Mirai and Ashley. Gracie had a big zero for missed element. Mirai completed all of her elements (with a questionable edge call) and Ashley at least got points for all of hers.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
First, congratulations to Polina. She skated her SP beautifully, pleased the audience... It was refreshing to see.

Regarding Ashley and Gracie performances, after watching both programs via live stream last night and reading most of the comments about inconsistency in this thread I was reminded of something similar I heard earlier on the week on Charlie Rose who re-ran a segment of a 2002 interview with Alan Rickman, recently deceased (RIP great one!), who discussed 'fear factor' and 'stage fright' as a 'gremlin' that is destructive, persistent and almost impossible to eliminate... It's an interesting observation and worth reviewing from a figure skating perspective so I've taken the liberty of posting it here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w2g6G9JhDYE

narcissa

Record Breaker
Polina has gotten better but I don't enjoy her programs as much as Ashley's or Gracie's...she's far less polished. But regardless of how much more experience Ashley and Gracie have, Polina still has the 4CC win under her belt, which IMO is more impressive than any single thing A or G have done....

Must be frustrating, A and G just CAN'T get it to together when it's important...

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well there is one consolation with Polina: if the FS bombs, she'll never ever ever do a program like it again. But I do think she should not be underestimated.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hi Skater Boy....

I agree, Polina deserves a better costume as Scarlett, right? Ha. If you compare her dress and choreography and music cut to Alaine Chartrand of Canada's Gone with the Wind program, Alain's program blows Polina's away. Polina lacks a good choreographer with lacks good music choices. I think she should have Shailyn Bourne choreograph her program. It seems Canada have all the great choreographers.
I do think if Polina skates her fs clean the judges will up her pcs regardless if we like her choreo in the fs or the infamous dress. I have to give it to her though the world seems to focus on Ashley and Gracie she isn't giving up. But like one of the other posters said even though he skates well andhas great jumps and is consistent some people have the it factor and some don't. It is hard to overcome it whenyou just don't have that - skating clean and with energy does help but well if you have IT you have IT.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

Every time I think that no one can catch up to the leader, something goes wrong. I've stopped trying to predict.