2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Ladies SP

Warwick360

Medalist
I just caught the score and I'm confused how Gracie got ahead of Ashley . ?_?

I mean she pops a lutz and then proceeds to do a flip (which basically looks like it's lipped) instead of doing a loop that many people including me were hoping for her to do. I still don't get it. :confused2:

Happy for Polina and Mirai though. I hope Mirai somehow makes it to a Pewter. Speaking of which, what the hell happened to courtney. Thought she would be contending the podium. :slink:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I have to give it to her though the world seems to focus on Ashley and Gracie she isn't giving up.
Why should she? She's obviously enjoying herself very much and she had a very succesful last season with her win at 4CC (remember: she beat Miyahara). She is still very young and going through puberty. So everything is running smoothly for her imho.

mustafakent

On the Ice
Polina has gotten better but I don't enjoy her programs as much as Ashley's or Gracie's...she's far less polished. But regardless of how much more experience Ashley and Gracie have, Polina still has the 4CC win under her belt, which IMO is more impressive than any single thing A or G have done....

Must be frustrating, A and G just CAN'T get it to together when it's important...

Do you know Ashley won 4CC ahead of Mao Asada or has 15 GP medals, 3 of them from GPF, while Polina has yet to win one? Needless to say she is also a three-time US champion and record holder.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Why should she? She's obviously enjoying herself very much and she had a very succesful last season with her win at 4CC (remember: she beat Miyahara). She is still very young and going through puberty. So everything is running smoothly for her imho.

And Ashley, while getting decent competitive results in her earlier Senior years, wasn't the focus of attention right away. That should be an indicator that giving up after only a few seasons is silly.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Do you know Ashley won 4CC ahead of Mao Asada or has 15 GP medals, 3 of them from GPF, while Polina has yet to win one? Needless to say she is also a three-time US champion and record holder.
You shouldn't forget that Polina is still only 17. People tend to forget that, I don't know why. Ashley started winning at the age of 20.

andromache

Record Breaker
Who knew that this thread would turn into Ashley and Gracie fans--not versus each other--but versus everyone else??

Polina is not being arbitrarily held down, either nationally or internationally. I'm not even going to blame her programs. It's her lack of speed. I really hope they continue to work on this, as her mental strength is impressive.

da96103

Record Breaker
Well there is one consolation with Polina: if the FS bombs, she'll never ever ever do a program like it again. But I do think she should not be underestimated.

Even if Polina bombs her FS, she still can placed at least 3rd and will do the FS again at FCC and Worlds.

andyjo24

Medalist
You shouldn't forget that Polina is still only 17. People tend to forget that, I don't know why. Ashley started winning at the age of 20.

I agree. And you also have to consider the level of competition, which is much higher than back then.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
The stage is set for Ashley (at least) to skate brilliantly in the long isn't it? Unless its 2014 redux its the same story over and over: messes up the short, bring down the house in the long. In the end it means nothing because she's still stuck in the same position as she has been for years :disapp:

Gracie, I got no clue. Technically being 8 points off the lead should put a fire in her belly to skate clean in the long but she's less then a point above Ashley, her closest American competitor. Even after knowing Ashley messed up the short she still messed up! That should have taken OFF pressure and instead it ended up coming out to nothing :palmf: Is she afraid of being a runaway winner and therefore still goofs up :scratch2: So basically she still in the same position as if the competition hadn't even started yet.

US nationals isn't Russian nationals. The competition is hardly that deep and they are both pretty much guaranteed spots on the world team so why act so tense? I know they both want to win and be considered US #1 (although I think that's still Gracie no matter what) but still :palmf:

This is probably going to be controversial but I think if Polina skates well in the long the USFSA need to mark her up. Show the international judges that the USA has not 2 but 3 ladies that can be something more the just top 10 (even if its not completely true). She will never move up internationally no matter how well she skates if the USFSA continue to promote her only as #3. It will be interesting to see how she handle's everything in the long but she should be proud of herself right now, so congrats :thumbsup:

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Congrats to Polina for being THE strong competitor today :rock:

eta I mean yesterday... these time zones :confused:

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
The stage is set for Ashley (at least) to skate brilliantly in the long isn't it? Unless its 2014 redux its the same story over and over: messes up the short, bring down the house in the long. In the end it means nothing because she's still stuck in the same position as she has been for years :disapp:

Gracie, I got no clue. Technically being 8 points off the lead should put a fire in her belly to skate clean in the long but she's less then a point above Ashley, her closest American competitor. Even after knowing Ashley messed up the short she still messed up! That should have taken OFF pressure and instead it ended up coming out to nothing :palmf: Is she afraid of being a runaway winner and therefore still goofs up :scratch2: So basically she still in the same position as if the competition hadn't even started yet.

US nationals isn't Russian nationals. The competition is hardly that deep and they are both pretty much guaranteed spots on the world team so why act so tense? I know they both want to win and be considered US #1 (although I think that's still Gracie no matter what) but still :palmf:

This is probably going to be controversial but I think if Polina skates well in the long the USFSA need to mark her up. Show the international judges that the USA has not 2 but 3 ladies that can be something more the just top 10 (even if its not completely true). She will never move up internationally no matter how well she skates if the USFSA continue to promote her only as #3. It will be interesting to see how she handle's everything in the long but she should be proud of herself right now, so congrats :thumbsup:

You know what? I honestly don't care who wins US Nationals. This competition is not important (like you said the spots are already pretty much fixed).

Now what I am actually interested is how the US skaters will fare at Boston. And to be honest, I'm not too optimistic about their chances there right now...

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You know what? I honestly don't care who wins US Nationals. This competition is not important (like you said the spots are already pretty much fixed).

Now what I am actually interested is how the US skaters will fare at Boston. And to be honest, I'm not too optimistic about their chances there right now...
I disagree, the result is important. If Polina skates clean the judges have to give her a high PCS. Because, compare her f.e. to Radionova (about the same jump content) and let's say both skate clean and rotate their jumps in Boston, Radionova has always received a much higher PCS than Edmunds. And she doesn't deserve that imho (at least not to that degree), because she skates with a hunched back, so she can gain speed easier than Edmunds, who has very good posture. Both look coltish at times. I see no reason why a clean Edmunds should not be able to beat Radionova with one or two minor mistakes.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina has gotten better but I don't enjoy her programs as much as Ashley's or Gracie's...she's far less polished. But regardless of how much more experience Ashley and Gracie have, Polina still has the 4CC win under her belt, which IMO is more impressive than any single thing A or G have done....

Must be frustrating, A and G just CAN'T get it to together when it's important...
Ashley won 4CC back in 2012 just so you know. And if it's Polina, Ashley and Gracie going to Worlds again Polina will finish lower between the 3 skaters like she has the last 2 years because the international judges know she's an inferior skater right now compared to those two.

andromache

Record Breaker
I just want to add that everyone comparing the US ladies as a whole to the Russian ladies as a whole needs to check themselves.

How do you expect a state-funded and supported program to compare to a program in which parents are expected to invest tens of thousands of dollars in their daughters' hobby in order for them to become elite athletes? It's kind of silly to compare the skaters who come from those programs, because OF COURSE one will be much better than the other.

Furthermore, when there is a disaster night at an international event, it means it's just a bad night, but when there's a disaster night at a national event, it means the future is doomed? :rolleye:

Congrats to all of the US ladies for whom even making it to Nationals is an accomplishment. I hope everyone fights back in the long for a memorable night of performances.

jrice314

Rinkside
Well....They better say "These are Ladies who skated the best at Nationals and we're very excited and looking forward to a strong showing at Worlds"

Then say "No More Questions!!"...... Drop The Mic and Leave..........OKAYYYYYYYY :bed:

I agree! I am sick and tired of Ashley and Gracie being held up unfairly. Ashley fell twice in her 2013 Nationals free when she "repeated", and she did not deserve to go to the Olympics. Don't get me wrong--I love both of them when they are on, but the way they get placed over other girls when the other girls do better is incredibly unfair. Ashley and Gracie ought to know by now that they will be favored even when they mess up. I don't understand how they can still let the pressure get to them and make huge mistakes when they know they will be favored over all the other girls.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
andromache;1346296[B said:
]I just want to add that everyone comparing the US ladies as a whole to the Russian ladies as a whole needs to check themselves.

How do you expect a state-funded and supported program to compare to a program in which parents are expected to invest tens of thousands of dollars in their daughters' hobby in order for them to become elite athletes? It's kind of silly to compare the skaters who come from those programs, because OF COURSE one will be much better than the other.[/B]

Furthermore, when there is a disaster night at an international event, it means it's just a bad night, but when there's a disaster night at a national event, it means the future is doomed? :rolleye:

Congrats to all of the US ladies for whom even making it to Nationals is an accomplishment. I hope everyone fights back in the long for a memorable night of performances.

The Russian skaters only get state funding if they place high and produce results otherwise their on their own just like American skaters are. Nikita Katsalapov had to use his own Olympic winnings to train with Zueva in the US when he switched partners. Now that they are producing some results chances of them receiving state funding go up but it wasn't handed to them from the start, they had to earn it.

And being state funding doesn't mean results otherwise Russia would have a much longer history in ladies then it does. Russian girls are not winning medals because of money from their government. Their winning because they got the goods PLUS mental strength. Gracie probably has more talent then all the Russian girls yet can't produce results because she doesn't have the mental strength. State funding isn't suddenly going to win Gracie world medals or give her the mental strength she so desperately needs.

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight
Actually, if Gracie gives a GPF or better FS, she probably still could beat Polina... Same for Ashley.

Every time I think that no one can catch up to the leader, something goes wrong. I've stopped trying to predict.

They could, but I don't think it's going to happen. Ashley will probably win the free skate barely but not overall, Polina will win the championship, and I have no clue about Gracie. All three are going to WC though.

Even if Mirai gets a new boot or repaired boot, she will be too freaked out, it will mess with her confidence and she will drop in the free skate (as much as I don't want this to happen.)

noskates

Record Breaker
I am SOOOOO over Mirai. There is always a reason she skates poorly other than "she skates poorly!" She's not a competitor anymore and her confidence is only one of her problems. Beautiful girl, beautiful on the ice - just never in the moment. Always great potential, very loyal fans, always wishing and hoping.....and it never happens!

I'm not ready to count out Gracie or Ashley or Polina or the fact that someone might skate lights out and beat one or more of them. I really don't care who wins either - just that they skate clean, present well, and really earn the title.