2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think it's better if juniors and seniors participate together.

btw, USFS ISP Camp also is for seniors who don't attend Champs Camp. Seniors such as Dolensky, Johnson, and Rabbitt were at ISP Camp along with juniors.

I think USFS has its hands full making every minute of Champs Camp as productive and efficient as possible for the dozens of seniors who already attend. Adding dozens more extra bodies (whether senior or junior or both) doesn't strike me as inherently a good idea. YMMV.

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
Awarding Adam Rippon as the US National Champion is just embarrassing. I would love to hear the translation for the Japanese commentory on the US Men's competition. Can hear the slight laughter, giggle and shock from the Japanese commentators. Well, don't blame them especially when they have Hanyu, Shoma and Murakami to send to worlds who have quads and are aesthetically pleasing to watch. With Adam, having watched his LP, I didn't think his skating skills were that great nor the program that engaging.

For the many discussions on 'marks' for quad jumps, this is how 'quad' jumps should be properly awarded (though boyang's a bit faster and the execution of jumps were a bit better than Nathan's)

Jin boyang's SP at COC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl6opoCTQGA

Jin Boyang's LP at COC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMLExcGIPQ

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it's better if juniors and seniors participate together.

Champs Camp is held in August when the JGP season has already started. It's too impractical for the Seniors to hold it earlier.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Yes, Rippon's 4Lz is a planned fall and <. A << is a failure, which it generally has been(And was here as well if it had been correctly called).

By the way, I think that planned falls should truly reduce the artistic scores. Where's the art in falling on purpose? It's bizarre this seemingly wasn't even considered, especially when most people seem to say his PCS was fair in comparison to Aaron's even though Aaron didn't even fall.

Easy! Just find a piece of soundtrack to the main character being kicked by a bull, or losing your balance while fighting James Bond on a scaffold. :laugh:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Champs Camp is held in August when the JGP season has already started. It's too impractical for the Seniors to hold it earlier.

I know. I wish the JGP was more on par with Seniors but it is what it is. I just wish our juniors were developed earlier.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, Rippon's 4Lz is a planned fall and <. A << is a failure, which it generally has been(And was here as well if it had been correctly called).

By the way, I think that planned falls should truly reduce the artistic scores. Where's the art in falling on purpose? It's bizarre this seemingly wasn't even considered, especially when most people seem to say his PCS was fair in comparison to Aaron's even though Aaron didn't even fall.

Adam does occasionally land the 4lz in practice; he did at least once here per Jackie Wong & same last year. I think he or Raf said he lands ~70% in practice though it could just be politicking, I don't know. But the only way he's ever going to land one in competition is to keep trying. I am not saying I agree w/the judging, but he's not the only one to attempt a quad that isn't stable. And at least it was just one fall...some people have fallen multiple times & still won competitions with quite high PCS.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know. I wish the JGP was more on par with Seniors but it is what it is. I just wish our juniors were developed earlier.

I think most of us (myself included) have no way of knowing the full scope of what USFS does to develop juniors.

Couple of other examples off the top of my head:

- At US Challenge Skate in SLC, a lot more goes on than the competition. Juniors (plus novices and juveniles, I believe) take part in on-ice and off-ice programs and seminars in addition to competing.

- USFS sends juniors (as well as seniors) to Delaware to work on jumps using the cutting-edge technology there.

Good point, karne :). Thx.

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Do you think Peter Tchernyshev is secretly smiling smugly over the Shibs' win, too?

Sorry friend. Am not so well versed with the pairs and their back stories.

The twists and turns of single men and ladies are enough to put South Korean TV dramas to shame.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any word on Nathan? I heard he injured himself at the gala last night? Last thing the kid needs is another injury. Raf may need to tell him to not push his body as much as he is.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Any word on Nathan? I heard he injured himself at the gala last night? Last thing the kid needs is another injury. Raf may need to tell him to not push his body as much as he is.

Nothing since yesterday... heck not even well wishes... just total silence. Last we heard it was though to be an old/existing hip injury that was aggravated but he was going to a hospital for more tests and to get check out.

I am not sure Raf would say that, not I am i sure Nathan would listen even if he did... i guess they are good match in that aspect? I think Nathan may just need to be poked and prodded and tested and MRIed on a regular basis so a doctor can tell everyone if he is healthy or not. Even Raf said the kid does not have an internal check engine light.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nothing since yesterday... heck not even well wishes... just total silence. Last we heard it was though to be an old/existing hip injury that was aggravated but he was going to a hospital for more tests and to get check out.

I am not sure Raf would say that, not I am i sure Nathan would listen even if he did... i guess they are good match in that aspect? I think Nathan may just need to be poked and prodded and tested and MRIed on a regular basis so a doctor can tell everyone if he is healthy or not. Even Raf said the kid does not have an internal check engine light.

In this instance, based only on the TSL interview with Raf, Raf and Nathan need to coordinate better. If Rafa is serious about the "hands off I'm not your parent" approach, and Nathan doesn't know when to quit, that's not a good combo.

I may not be a huge fan of Nathan (yet) because of his (so far) inattention to performance skills. But I certainly do not wish an *injury* on any competitor.

Nathan, take care of yourself. Your long term health comes before quads, before world championships, and yes, before Olympic gold. None of that will mean bubkes to you when every step, heck when even sitting is agony, because you need a total hip replacement. Trust me on this. And you are 15, so you can't be expected to know or understand that. But your coach should.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ha, ha!! Agree!

Sotnikova is also a fiery and very exciting performer who goes all out from start to finish. There isn't a US Lady like her. I think some of our younger skaters remind me a bit of Yulia but, even she doesn't have Sotnikova's performance ability.

Awarding Adam Rippon as the US National Champion is just embarrassing. I would love to hear the translation for the Japanese commentory on the US Men's competition. Can hear the slight laughter, giggle and shock from the Japanese commentators. Well, don't blame them especially when they have Hanyu, Shoma and Murakami to send to worlds...

Well, the U.S. does not have Hanyu, Shoma, or Murakami. So the Japanese commentators would have a right to snicker no matter which American won the national championship. (But I hope that they wouldn't. :) )

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well, the U.S. does not have Hanyu, Shoma, or Murakami. So the Japanese commentators would have a right to snicker no matter which American won the national championship. (But I hope that they wouldn't. :) )

They'd never snicker ;)...they'd get thoughtful, and try to find a way to explain it within the scoring rules.

You don't get Japanese commentators who vocally disagree with the scores EVER.
At least, I've never heard one do it so far.

Now I'm interested to see what they did say though.

Iron Lotus

On the Ice
Awarding Adam Rippon as the US National Champion is just embarrassing. I would love to hear the translation for the Japanese commentory on the US Men's competition. Can hear the slight laughter, giggle and shock from the Japanese commentators. Well, don't blame them especially when they have Hanyu, Shoma and Murakami to send to worlds who have quads and are aesthetically pleasing to watch. With Adam, having watched his LP, I didn't think his skating skills were that great nor the program that engaging.

One word summaries (going by memory):
Nathan- surprised (in a good way)
Max- (he looks) relieved
Adam- "bimyou" - hard to translate, but in this context does not have a positive connotation. Maybe "iffy"? The last word heard, after the score came up was "subarashii" (excellent). Don't know why he said that except to put a positive spin on things.

They definitely questioned the 4Lutz.

Last edited: