2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS

Interspectator

Record Breaker
One word summaries (going by memory):
Nathan- surprised (in a good way)
Max- (he looks) relieved
Adam- "bimyou" - hard to translate, but in this context does not have a positive connotation. Maybe "iffy"? The last word heard, after the score came up was "subarshii" (excellent). Don't know why he said that except to put a positive spin on things.

They definitely questioned the 4Lutz.

Wow. They actually said it was Bimyou? hehehe. Yeah, it would translate into iffy, or uncertain, nebulous. Thanks for sharing it.

Oh, but PCS is distinct from TES! And it wasn't a *disruptive* fall.

Big, massive eye roll. :rolleye:

Actually, I think he had a good competition strategy. If you have a move that no one else in the competition is going to attempt, put it in as your first element and give it a shot, do or die. If you die, then get up and skate a four minute program instead of foru-and-a-half. (Four-and-a-half minutes is too long anyway -- is that guy still out there? ;) )

Midori Ito used to do that in pro competitions. Take the first 20-30 seconds for a triple Axel attempt. Then, whatever the outcome, it's on with the show.

Of course a 10 is too high for Adam's performance. Maybe 8.75, with the others going on down from there. Oh, well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
It is what it is. You go with what you got.

Yes, and it does not matter which of the guys is the US champion as the medalists all get sent to Worlds. And often have the non champions faired better at Worlds and Olympics (e.g. Evan Lysacek). Two US guys need to be on 6th and 7th place to win 3 slots for 2017 Worlds, I have understood.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The US was right in 2010 and quads didnt matter in skating and now rippon is their anti quad vehicle. Brown is injured.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Adam did say in his presser that Raphael is going to drill him on the quad. He wasn't going to go home and say he just has to do triples. He knows he needs the quad.

Also, last year his 4lz was 4/10 landed. Now it's 7/10 which is a big improvement.

Last edited:

icekiwi

On the Ice
The US was right in 2010 and quads didnt matter in skating and now rippon is their anti quad vehicle. Brown is injured.

After Adam Rippon's win, Terry Gannon said something like, " I think the Americans are trying to send a message to the rest of the world that a quadless man can win". That statement is both embarrassing and pathetic, especially when the GPF had only just concluded a month ago with a Hanyu landing 5 perfect quads and mersmerising programs to boot. One wonders who is sending a message to who!! While the rest of the skating world has moved on, the USFSA is still stuck in its own dark ages and insisting that they are right. Just sat down and watched all the GPF men's SP, not only Adam doesn't have a quad in his SP, he even struggles with his 3/3. The top 3 ladies in the world does a better 3/3 than Adam - just embarrassing!!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... and it does not matter which of the guys is the US champion as the medalists all get sent to Worlds.

Doesn't matter who is U.S. champion??? Wrong.

To the competitors, it sure as heck does matter.

For one thing, the national champion automatically qualifies for a higher level of USFS funding.

It's great that the top three all are going to Worlds, but it doesn't mean that the placements do not matter.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Adam did say in his presser that Raphael is going to drill him on the quad. He wasn't going to go home and say he just has to do triples. He knows he needs the quad.

Also, last year his 4lz was 4/10 landed. Now it's 7/10 which is a big improvement.

If its so good it would be in the sp. everyone who has ever done quads know they are not something you turn on and off. If you don't do it you won't do it! Quadless sp means probably no quad in lp. You can't turn them on and off.

After Adam Rippon's win, Terry Gannon said something like, " I think the Americans are trying to send a message to the rest of the world that a quadless man can win". That statement is both embarrassing and pathetic, especially when the GPF had only just concluded a month ago with a Hanyu landing 5 perfect quads and mersmerising programs to boot. One wonders who is sending a message to who!! While the rest of the skating world has moved on, the USFSA is still stuck in its own dark ages and insisting that they are right. Just sat down and watched all the GPF men's SP, not only Adam doesn't have a quad in his SP, he even struggles with his 3/3. The top 3 ladies in the world does a better 3/3 than Adam - just embarrassing!!

You said it perfect! Its true what Gannon said. America thinks quads are extra. To be left out is an option.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It just occurred to me that it's fitting for Adam to essentially pull off a "Jeff Buttle" at this competition because Jeff choreographed his LP. ;) There was also a lot of brouhaha when Jeff won the 2008 Worlds without a quad, and coincidentally, Rafael was Jeff's secondary coach.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Watched the mens free tonight with the wife and three dogs....I will modify my original thoughts a bit...
1. Watching Adam's skate on the TV, his artisty did look better than It did from the K and C where I was, partly because when I was there, I couldnt see his facial expressions..
2. My wife was really getting into his performance, as far as the music.....which still didnt effect me very much. Music interpretation of the night is still Grant H.'s Les Mis.....
3. Lord help me, I have to agree with Johnny and Tara that there is really no way technically A. beat M. The figures say he did....but all that tells me is the system still needs some tuning....
4. Oh man...is worlds gonna be fun! In a way, besides the world comp, there will be a grunge match repeat of nats in all four disiplines! LOL!
Oh, and BTW, bravo to Evan Bates for applauding the Shibs and a pox on Ms. Ashley's friend Ms. Chock for not...badly done, Madison.....

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I found it odd and humorous that in th press conference Adam essentially said he got poor scores on 4Lz because he had no steps into it. HELLO! It got bad scores because it was so under-rotated it was downgraded!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I found it odd and humorous that in th press conference Adam essentially said he got poor scores on 4Lz because he had no steps into it. HELLO! It got bad scores because it was so under-rotated it was downgraded!

It was only called < and not << which was wrong.

I think, though, Adam was referring to previous occasions when he lost more points on it in the SP because of no steps. The no steps rule doesn't exist in the FS. Of course, Adam could also have just been muddled.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

I think, though, Adam was referring to previous occasions when he lost more points on it in the SP because of no steps. The no steps rule doesn't exist in the FS. Of course, Adam could also have just been muddled.

It still didn't make sense, his response. Going from 13.6 points down to 6, losing GOE is negligible at that point. You lost most of the points because it wasn't areal 4Lz. More like a 3.25Lz...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It still didn't make sense, his response. Going from 13.6 points down to 6, losing GOE is negligible at that point. You lost most of the points because it wasn't areal 4Lz. More like a 3.25Lz...

Oh, I agree.

EDIT:

....wait, did we just agree about something?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

People tell me that there are points given for failed jumps to encourage skaters to try them. I personally would rather see points given for clean programs...and see less injured skaters. Yes, I know I have said I dont enjoy show programs and that
is still true....they bore me silly....But I would rather watch Jason Brown do a perfect River dance program than watch a splat fest....there is definately room to tweak the scoring system. I am not sayin' dump the quad....Javier is fantastic to watch when he is on and he is rewarded for his abilities and that is fine....I am saying dont reward failure.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
People tell me that there are points given for failed jumps to encourage skaters to try them. I personally would rather see points given for clean programs...and see less injured skaters. Yes, I know I have said I dont enjoy show programs and that
is still true....they bore me silly....But I would rather watch Jason Brown do a perfect River dance program than watch a splat fest....there is definately room to tweak the scoring system. I am not sayin' dump the quad....Javier is fantastic to watch when he is on and he is rewarded for his abilities and that is fine....I am saying dont reward failure.

It's not a quad problem. Max and Nathan both did quads that they could clearly do and handle. And in Max's case at least his body can handle it. (Poor Nathan.) Adam has never even been remotely close to rotating the thing in competition, let alone landing it. When it's a planned << and/or a planned fall, goodbye, you get zero.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There's no advantage to planning a << jump -- you might as well just do one fewer revolution on purpose and go for positive GOE. (The only exception, as seems to be the case for Rippon, is if you already want to repeat the triple and a downgraded quad gives him in essence a third triple lutz -- which is more valuable in base mark than filling that slot with a double axel -- but not necessarily more valuable overall considering GOE and fall deduction.)

The real advantage to attempting a jump that's likely to be downgraded and/or end in a fall is that there is some chance that only one of those things will happen in which the final contribution of that element to the total score can be higher than what you would otherwise use that slot for, e.g., double axel, and some chance that the jump will not be downgraded, only called as underrotated, which definitely makes it more valuable.

If you're landing the jump underrotated or clean in practice a certain percentage of the time, you're likely to fail the first few times you try it in competition. So the sooner you start trying it, the sooner you're likely to land it the way you do in practice.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It's not a quad problem. Max and Nathan both did quads that they could clearly do and handle. And in Max's case at least his body can handle it. (Poor Nathan.) Adam has never even been remotely close to rotating the thing in competition, let alone landing it. When it's a planned << and/or a planned fall, goodbye, you get zero.

Adam got 5.5 points for that mess.....about the same for a garden variety triple loop/triple flip? Imagine going to a ballet and seeing the ballerinas fall trying difficult moves and the people applauding....yuch....

gkelly

Record Breaker
Adam got 5.5 points for that mess.....about the same for a garden variety triple loop/triple flip? Imagine going to a ballet and seeing the ballerinas fall trying difficult moves and the people applauding....yuch....

Well, we go to the ballet to see beautiful expressive movement that may or may not be difficult.

We go to a skating show for similar reasons.

We go to a skating competition to see skaters push their limits by attempting the most difficult set of skills they can, on a slippery surface. Falling is always a risk, even on easy moves.

In that sense skating competition might have more in common with circus acrobatics than with ballet. We don't expect circus performers to constantly fail at their tricks, but we do find it exciting to watch them push the limits of what's humanly possible and occasionally to fail.

At least with skating the risks are less often "death defying."