2016 Worlds! Expectations? Concerns? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2016 Worlds! Expectations? Concerns?

kiches

Final Flight
You can actually buy about that much for $1.27, like a 12-pack. I was paying for convenience... :)

I ended up getting large cups of water at dunkin donuts for 50 cents since I couldn't even bring in an empty bottle.

One thing I found strange was the ladies bathroom didn't have any seat covers, is that normal?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I ended up getting large cups of water at dunkin donuts for 50 cents since I couldn't even bring in an empty bottle.

One thing I found strange was the ladies bathroom didn't have any seat covers, is that normal?

I probably should have done that on the last day since they weren't even taking away open bottles, LOL.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

You really could have, you know. I brought one every session of every day (among other forbidden items like Tim Tams) and no-one even noticed.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
2016 Worlds! Expectations? Concerns?

Best Worlds ever! Exceeded expectations! No concerns!

I'd say yes to the first. Yes to the second. But the massive scoring inflation was both laugh-worthy and troubling. It's getting to the point that who can take the scoring seriously at all?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
best worlds ? how ?

The competitions did not feature one couple or skater "expected" to win--and did. In at least two disciplines--Pairs and Men--the reigning champs were not expected to repeat and did. It wasn't a splatfest like in some years. The technical levels in all the disciplines keep going up. Some exciting new talent emerged. The scoring was beyond utter stupidity, but the actual skating was thrilling.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
The competitions did not feature one couple or skater "expected" to win--and did. In at least two disciplines--Pairs and Men--the reigning champs were not expected to repeat and did. It wasn't a splatfest like in some years. The technical levels in all the disciplines keep going up. Some exciting new talent emerged. The scoring was beyond utter stupidity, but the actual skating was thrilling.

Unfortunately the skating gods bestowed the splatfest to Patrick and Yuzu. :(

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i will take your word for it... i'd say the men's fp was not stellar... same with pairs but the champions brought it on and in men, many did very welll, especially americans... in pairs, russians, chinese and americans did poorly so that for me doesn't ring as a stellar event...

scoring was inflated enough so people are making threads about it (but i bet there are some every year )

i enjoyed the worlds in boston, well from my tv... but i have issues when people say... this was the BEST!!!!! i am not a flawless, perfectly knowledgeable fan... but there are some events that I still remember from years ago... and maybe my memory is flawed but ... those would surpass boston ;) like prag 1993, or halifax 1990... maybe i am just a kurt browning fan ;)

The ladies and dance competitions featured one amazing performance after another. In ladies I only wish there were ten podium spots instead of just three. (There should have been enough prizes that Mirai and Gabrielle could have won something, for instance, plus Gilles and Poitier.)

In men's, at least the potential of what might happen kept me on the edge of my seat, despite a few "aw, darn" moments.

In pairs the short program was exciting, although some teams couldn't keep it up in the long.

Never a dull moment and an entertaining variety among the programs, and not just in the final flights. Judging was by and large non-controversial, except for gripes that everyone was scored too high. (OK, take ten points off everyone's score and everyone's happy. Except put ten more points onto Mao. :) )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
was Sydney Poitier competing ?
The ladies and dance competitions featured one amazing performance after another. In ladies I only wish there were ten podium spots instead of just three. (There should have been enough prizes that Mirai and Gabrielle could have won something, for instance, plus Gilles and Poitier.)

In men's, at least the potential of what might happen kept me on the edge of my seat, despite a few "aw, darn" moments.

In pairs the short program was exciting, although some teams couldn't keep it up in the long.

Never a dull moment and an entertaining variety among the programs, and not just in the final flights. Judging was by and large non-controversial, except for gripes that everyone was scored too high. (OK, take ten points off everyone's score and everyone's happy. Except put ten more points onto Mao. :) )

I agree that dance and ladies, were well skated... I just wished Weapo skated better... it was "their" splatfest in some ways.... and G/P deserved as high scores if not higher than they received in the SD... that was WEIRD to say the least... their FD was skated better...

noskates

Record Breaker
Man am I sick of reading about scoring inflation.

Every competition that occurred this year had a group of people complaining about how scores were inflated. Seriously? If it's every competition than maybe it's just how it is. Maybe that's how the judges (of whom there are many) are interpreting the scoring system and people just need to learn to deal with it.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I expect that I will be buzzing happily about it for ages to come!

My concern is that I want do it again!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It was a pretty awesome competition. I got my money's worth for sure. Even if the men weren't perfect there was so many things I enjoyed from both segments -- Yuzuru's pristine SP, Ivan Riginhi's inspiring SP (after a crazy freak fall right before it), Javi's amazing skate, the Americans bringing it, Kolyda being the frontrunner of team Russia, Shoma's charisma, Boyang's huge 4Z, Patrick's skating skills and 4T-3T in the SP.

Dance: New discoveries including Kuramoto/Reed, Kazislek/Spodriev, Torn/Paarten. Great to see a new -- much better--music cut from Gilles and Porier, solid dances from the top 5 couples.

LadiesSP : The top 12 ladies had clean or near clean programs -- we haven't seen that in a while. Pogorilaya blowing me away with her passion and huge jumps. Ashley sambing her way to a clean SP in a major comp. Mao's beautiful step sequence and so on.

Pairs SP: Awesome artistic performance from Sui/Han. A spirited performance from Duhamel/Radford. Huge twists from Massot/Savchenko and Trankov/Volosozshar

And best of all, my husband surpassed my expectations in taking care of Baby P. I could have stayed another day and watched the Ladies FS! Oh well!

That's just a few thoughts...I really could go on if you want me to make a case that if this wasn't the best worlds it was a pretty damn good one.

:cheer:

Last edited:

Itzme

Rinkside

Well, it's not normal in my experience, but to my disbelief I found that to be the case everywhere in Boston, except for the airport.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, it's not normal in my experience, but to my disbelief I found that to be the case everywhere in Boston, except for the airport.

I had never seen a toilet seat cover in my life until I got to America.

Also you guys have weird toilets. ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had never seen a toilet seat cover in my life until I got to America.

Also you guys have weird toilets. ;)
Because the water spins the wrong way when you flush?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Because the water spins the wrong way?

No, because there's so much! The bowls are really shallow and it really shocked me to see that they were half full of water. It seemed like a horrific waste of water to me.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha! I grew up in the country and we always had flower type covers and super padded seats. It's always weird when I visit home now. :laugh: