2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I haven't read any of the reports, and don't know all the details, but even if we haven't seen any videos, and she's "taking it easy," I find it really hard to believe that Gracie is only doing doubles and singles every time she steps on the ice and not even attempting the easiest of triples, like the toe :unsure:

Perhaps the strategy is for the long term and looking beyond the immediate season but it seems crazy considering the immediate season is an Olympic (which is less then 6 months away!!!!) season :eek: And who knows what will happen in the next four since nothing is a guarantee. It all sounds very risky and puzzling unless she's really injured on top of all the mental stuff as well. She's at least trying to stay tip top competitive in the other areas like spins and footwork, right :scratch2:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Perhaps the strategy is for the long term and looking beyond the immediate season but it seems crazy considering the immediate season is an Olympic (which is less then 6 months away!!!!) season.

I honestly do not think Gracie loves figure skating enough to go on for four more years. If she was passionate about the sport and relished the competition, she'd likely be in better form now.

leafygreens

Final Flight
I can't think of a reason why a skater would intentionally dumb down their exhibition programs the season leading to the Olympics. Don't skaters need practice putting at least some challenging moves out there in exhibitions? Wouldn't it mess with your mind, in a bad way, to only showcase the easy stuff?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't think of a reason why a skater would intentionally dumb down their exhibition programs the season leading to the Olympics. Don't skaters need practice putting at least some challenging moves out there in exhibitions? Wouldn't it mess with your mind, in a bad way, to only showcase the easy stuff?

Exactly......Look, it would be different if Gracie had spun well, or even performed with fire. I remember seeing Rosalynn Sumners perform in Stars On Ice and she did a double axel and a couple of double toes and that's it. However, she performed with a fire that lit up the arena. When Sasha Cohen came to Fresno, in one of her programs, she didn't jump at all. She displayed her flexibility and beautiful spins and the crowd went wild. I didn't see Gracie in person but, I did read the reports and I've seen the videos. If Gracie were a lesser skater, we wouldn't even be talking about her. It's her popularity and her raw talent that keeps us all talking about her. As a former US Champion, we feel almost like her family and we want the best for her.

frida80

Record Breaker

Only two reasons injury or they physically can't do it. The point of these things is to entertain the crowd. Single axels and doubles are so common at ice rinks. People pay to see triples and double axels.

Gracie is going through something right now. Last year I like everyone else believed that if she kept at it, she would get better. But the opposite happened. Every loss hurt her more and more. She needs to deal with her issues before she gets back into competition. I only want what's best for Gracie. If skating is making her unhappy I'm willing to watch her go. But I believe that she can come back strong when she decides she wants it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
In case anyone forgot about it Golden West is happening this weekend and there are a few recognizable names on the entry list: Caroline Zhang, Vivian Le, Audrey Shin (juniors).
https://unseenskaters.wordpress.com...en-west-aug-31-sept-3-ontario-california/amp/

Free livestream on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK7YA4OXyxk

Thank you for providing that link. I'm very curious to see how Vivian Le is skating. She was such promising junior and it would great if she can make to senior nationals after just missing it last year.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Thank you for providing that link. I'm very curious to see how Vivian Le is skating. She was such promising junior and it would great if she can make to senior nationals after just missing it last year.

How's it going for the 3 notable entries? Have they skated yet? Just from watching the live feed I can't tell who's about to skate next.

sheetz

Record Breaker
How's it going for the 3 notable entries? Have they skated yet? Just from watching the live feed I can't tell who's about to skate next.

Check the entry list for competition times. Junior ladies SP is Friday night. Senior ladies SP is Saturday night. Tonight is Senior men's SP.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Only two reasons injury or they physically can't do it. The point of these things is to entertain the crowd. Single axels and doubles are so common at ice rinks. People pay to see triples and double axels.

Gracie is going through something right now. Last year I like everyone else believed that if she kept at it, she would get better. But the opposite happened. Every loss hurt her more and more. She needs to deal with her issues before she gets back into competition. I only want what's best for Gracie. If skating is making her unhappy I'm willing to watch her go. But I believe that she can come back strong when she decides she wants it.
I sort of hate these types of comments. Sometimes you can want something incredibly badly and work your *** off and for whatever reason it just doesn't come together. "You can do anything you set your mind to" is, unfortunately, total BS. There is a pervasive assumption that Gracie is doing poorly because she doesn't "want" it enough, which must be really horrible and demotivating if it's not true and Gracie is aware of those comments. It's like, if I'm working my *** of and not seeing results and people think I'm lazy and don't care, why should I bother?

mrrice

Record Breaker
I sort of hate these types of comments. Sometimes you can want something incredibly badly and work your *** off and for whatever reason it just doesn't come together. "You can do anything you set your mind to" is, unfortunately, total BS. There is a pervasive assumption that Gracie is doing poorly because she doesn't "want" it enough, which must be really horrible and demotivating if it's not true and Gracie is aware of those comments. It's like, if I'm working my *** of and not seeing results and people think I'm lazy and don't care, why should I bother?

It's unfortunate but, it happens to athlete's all the time. In baseball, they call it a "Slump". In Tennis, they call it "The Yips" you can work hard but, the problem is in your mind. It's not a matter of being lazy, it's a mental block that can sometimes be difficult to overcome. Donny Osmond had been performing his whole life and after one bad night on Broadway, He didn't go back on stage for 2 years because was traumatized over a flop his was in called "Little Johnny Jones" In theater, we called it "Stage Fright" and it can happen to the most seasoned performers.

frida80

Record Breaker

I think wasn't clear in my post. I never said she was lazy. Or that she didn't want to skate for herself. I said she's going through something personal. Sometimes we can go through something mentally that can affect our performance in life. It's demoralizing, but until you resolve it, it can weight you down. It may take a long time to get past it. But if Gracie wants to come back at that point, she can is she wants it. That's what I meant.

Clearly it's not just the pressure of being the top US lady or failure that's caused this decline. There's definitely else because she's still declining in spite of changing her coach, location, etc. This isn't something that hardwork or determination will solve. Maybe it is just slump and she needs a good competition to get back into the grove. Or maybe she needs to talk to a mentor, who can help her. Who knows? But it also may be something major that she needs time to work through. And that's fine as well. As I said I just want what's best for her.

But no I don't think Gracie is lazy at all. I also believe she was to come back strong. Everyone know how hard she works and how much she wants to win. But until she resolves whatever is happening internally, she shouldn't be pushed back unto the ice. If she is pushed, she may never come back.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So last night, I binge-watched some of Diva:love: Wagner's programs. I started with a 2008 program that popped up on the utube channel, and then I randomly clicked on this one or that one. It was really fun and uplifting. I think the last one before :bed: was her R&J free skate from 2013 SA.

I highly recommend, if you need a respite from (ahem) anything you need a respite from ... do the same with one of your favorite skaters.:popcorn:

bevybean

On the Ice
Yeah, if anything it seems to be the opposite with skaters like Mirai posting practice videos of their 3A or quad jumps.

And yet, we are talking as much or more about Gracie than Mirai...For someone who has been so silent on social media, etc. Gracie is still creating quite the buzz.

pjskater

Rinkside
And yet, we are talking as much or more about Gracie than Mirai...For someone who has been so silent on social media, etc. Gracie is still creating quite the buzz.

Just to be clear Gracie herself isn't creating the buzz, other folks are creating the buzz and not with any actual facts.
Quote:
Strong, beautiful people don't put others down.
They lift them up.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just to be clear Gracie herself isn't creating the buzz, other folks are creating the buzz and not with any actual facts.
Quote: Strong, beautiful people don't put others down. They lift them up.

This comment is true but, I wish it weren't. We may be talking about Gracie but, I think we all empathize with her. If she were to make a statement saying...." Y'all, I am working so hard and things just aren't jelling. I've been harnessed up and working on my triples and they'll be back at my first event. Thank you all for your support and I'll see you soon." I realize she doesn't owe us a comment like that but, if she or Marina came out with a similar statement, it would definitely put my mind at ease.

Again, I make these comments because I care, not to tear down a great champion like Gracie.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I posted this in the body standards thread, but it may be more appropriate here:

Gracie is taking some time off to seek professional help:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...elp/624408001/

Thank Goodness!!!!! This is exactly what I suspected. I hope this works for her, even if she discovers through therapy that she doesn't want to skate anymore. I hope she will emerge in a better place mentally. I'll be in her corner no matter what.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I really admire her for being so open about this. In her way, she's helping remove the stigma of seeking professional help and therapy. Any positive imagery and encouragement to do that is always welcome in my book. I hope fans online give her the space she needs to do this and not call on her to explain more or commit to a decision with regard to the rest of the season.