2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I posted this in the body standards thread, but it may be more appropriate here:

Gracie is taking some time off to seek professional help:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...elp/624408001/

Working link:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2017/09/01/olympic-figure-skating-star-gracie-gold-taking-time-off-seek-professional-help/624408001/

For those who have not clicked on it:

Per this article by Christine Brennan, Gracie's statement says that she "will be taking some time off while preparing for my Grand Prix assignments."

She will not attend the Japan Open, but sounds as if she still is planning to compete at her GPs.

Thx for bringing to our attention, VIETgrlTerifa.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Her decline culminated this spring and summer in a disheartening inability to land even the simplest jumps in skating shows and a U.S. Figure Skating preview camp.

Well, I would call USA Today a reputable source and not "gossip."

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
It's an important decision that Gracie took, and I'm glad she made it. I wish her all the best and hopefully it'll help her find happiness, whether it involves continuing her skating career or not.

pjskater

Rinkside
mrrice, I know that your comments have been more supportive and because you care. It was more about the negative and twitter comments that stated things way beyond facts and put it out there for everyone to read. I just hope folks can give Gracie some peace and think twice before they post hurtful comments about someone who has never done anything to deserve the negativity. She is sweet, kind, and incredibly talented. Let's lift her up if we care about her and for those of you who are not fans just keep quiet and cheer for whoever you want to cheer for!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How can she take time off and work on her GPs at the same time? Makes no sense.

Yeah...it's a bit of a mixed bag of info in this article but I think we should just give her some space. We'll Know what comes of this with a little patience.

leafygreens

Final Flight

Barb

Record Breaker

Because if she just started looking for professional help, she does not know what the process will be like, and she has hopes that she will be able to get better soon. I doubt that a professional would agree that she will submit to the pressure of competing this season, but she will notice in due course.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Dave Lease of The Skating Lesson said he's hearing a lot about Mirai looking strong, even from people who are usually skeptics of her (I know how some people feel about him, but still thought it was worth sharing): https://twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/903618029455597568

I think she always looks strong in practices and warm-ups, so I'm a bit surprised to hear that there are skeptics about her talent. Until she brings that level to competition ice, it's nothing more than buzz.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I think she always looks strong in practices and warm-ups, so I'm a bit surprised to hear that there are skeptics about her talent. Until she brings that level to competition ice, it's nothing more than buzz.

So true. I hope Mirai can kick *** in competition this season the way she does in practice.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

It's definitely buzz. I know there's been similar buzz about her before, but I see a real difference in how she's skating and looking compared to the past few seasons. I feel more optimistic about her this time, but it's a long season. I just hope that if one competition doesn't quite go her way this Fall that it doesn't hurt the confidence she's been building up so far.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yeah...it's a bit of a mixed bag of info in this article but I think we should just give her some space. We'll Know what comes of this with a little patience.

Thx, Sam. Agree that we should give Gracie some space.

I have posted Gracie's We Get Up video before, but now seems like a good time to post it again.
I have always loved this video. Gracie says (among other things), "Figure skaters have grit," and "You have to dig down deeper, deeper than you even think is possible."

It was recorded at 2016 Champs Camp, along with other great videos from other skaters too.

Hugs to Gracie :ghug:. Wishing her the best.

Maybe Gracie she meant that she is taking time off from competitions?

One could say that whatever professional help she is receiving to get back on track in general would fall under the broad umbrella of preparing for her GP assignments.

Cup of China, her first GP, is two months away.
To me, keeping her options open makes sense.
Skaters who are trying to recover from injury often keep their options open. (I am not saying that Gracie is injured. I am drawing an analogy.)

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Because if she just started looking for professional help, she does not know what the process will be like, and she has hopes that she will be able to get better soon. I doubt that a professional would agree that she will submit to the pressure of competing this season, but she will notice in due course.

So, in the two-month stretch between now & her first GP (11/3 in China) she is supposed to find help, start a process, get better and magically start being able to land a double axel and a couple triples?

Her stance of "taking a break but still working on GPs" is not brave. It's evidence of disordered thinking.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
So, in the two-month stretch between now & her first GP (11/3 in China) she is supposed to find help, start a process, get better and magically start being able to land a double axel and a couple triples?

Her stance of "taking a break but still working on GPs" is not brave. It's evidence of disordered thinking.

Well, the fact that she's getting help and is open about is what most are applauding. If she's serious about getting the help and follows-through then she'll realize what's realistic for her. I think that was chapis' point. That she may not really know what's going on but seeking help is a great first step and the picture will become clearer if she follows-through. Only those with personal knowledge can know where Gracie's at, and I don't see the use of use of speculating on where she's at mentally to know what she can do this season.

bevybean

On the Ice
Just to be clear Gracie herself isn't creating the buzz, other folks are creating the buzz and not with any actual facts.
Quote:
Strong, beautiful people don't put others down.
They lift them up.

Yes. I didn't mean that Gracie was trying to create the buzz on purpose. But, her actions or lack of action seems to have created a lot more buzz than skaters who are putting themselves out there on purpose.

pjskater

Rinkside

Those that take pleasure in the struggle of others are lost,
lost at the bottom of a dark, murky pond.
Crawling along the bottom, unable to see the incredible
beauty of those brave souls that dance above them.

slider11

Medalist
I am heartbroken for Gracie but SO glad that she is getting help. The label to her problem is not important except to her and the professionals. Just get the help you need to live your life happily and, if that includes skating, then skate. How this impacts the Olympics or the 2017-18 season is not important. This is an "injury" that has been lingering with Gracie for the last 2 years and finally, she is addressing it. Be strong, Gracie Gold, and be well!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
As of Aug 31, Gracie no longer is on the list of athletes participating in the USOC media summit in late September.

Not surprising at this point. Just making note for the record.

ETA (on Sep 2):
Just my guess, but I think Gracie herself probably withdrew from the media summit (as opposed to it being a matter of the USOC making a decision that she did not belong). Just my guess.​

Disordered? Wow. What a harsh and cruel word.

Gracie's statement sounds as if she is keeping her chin up with the outlook that she will be at her GPs. It's called optimism.

Not much different to me than a men's skater who never has been awarded credit for a clean quad, but who is hoping to put two quads in his SP and two in his FS this season.

In both cases, plenty of hard work and determination will be necessary in order for their optimism to bear fruit.
In both cases, I am happy not to rule anything out.

(Optimism is not the same thing as bravery. I have not used the word "brave" or "bravery" in connection with Gracie's GP assignments. I do think she was brave to give Brennan any kind of statement at all.)

Well, the fact that she's getting help and is open about is what most are applauding. If she's serious about getting the help and follows-through then she'll realize what's realistic for her. I think that was chapis' point. That she may not really know what's going on but seeking help is a great first step and the picture will become clearer if she follows-through. Only those with personal knowledge can know where Gracie's at, and I don't see the use of use of speculating on where she's at mentally to know what she can do this season.

:agree: