2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 93 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Alex Ourashiev coaching any novice or junior skaters?

He works with Pooja Kaylan (not sure if he is her full-time coach) and he coaches Maxine Bautista who came in 7th at US Jr. Nats last season. Not sure about other names for novice level.

ETA -- Pooja is not coached by Alex full time, but he helped her fix her 2A. https://pic.twitter.com/7Jhzzca14k Both young ladies are lovely skaters.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not about current US ladies, but I thought someone could like this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ2NdmhBmVz/
Four days of training after 7 years of rest? Lots of admiration! :thumbsup::luv17:

Interesting. my first thought: she may have been inspired by Deanna Stellato trying again after 16 years. Deanna and Michelle were contemporaries and competitors. Also, someone commentating pairs (John Coughlin?) said that Stellato had not given her body all the abuse, wear and tear that she would have, if competing all that time; so a recess can be an advantage. And ... Michelle did tell Kimmie M. that she still misses skating and competing ....

lappo

Final Flight
Interesting. my first thought: she may have been inspired by Deanna Stellato trying again after 16 years. Deanna and Michelle were contemporaries and competitors. Also, someone commentating pairs (John Coughlin?) said that Stellato had not given her body all the abuse, wear and tear that she would have, if competing all that time; so a recess can be an advantage. And ... Michelle did tell Kimmie M. that she still misses skating and competing ....

Michelle has said that she is working to regain her triples. I don't know what the purpose is, provided that there is one (AFAIK she could just be doing it for the love of skating, to cope with a rather rough year or for million other personal reasons). However, the first thought that came into my mind was her and Yuna doing an exhibition program at the Olympic gala, similar to the Hero one. Now, a girl can dream... :):luv17:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Totally. One thing I wish was that figure skating was more forgiving on the body. It would be great if these skaters' careers at the top could span 15 or 20 years.

Completely true. I never got over my torn hip flexor and it was an injury that ended my dance career. It's basically impossible to skate competitively if you sustain a severe hip or groin injury. Isn't that why Tara L. had to stop skating in shows? My friend Tiffany had to end her career because of back spasms and I imagine that's a common injury in skating as well.

Eeyora

Final Flight

True, I do remember an article in which Michellle said during Olympic seasons she still gets motivated to see if she’s still got
It.

princessalica

Final Flight
Ready for wild speculation that she’s going to show up at regionals and make it to sectionals and that take back the national title just because she’s Michelle Kwan and she’s that awesome.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ready for wild speculation that she’s going to show up at regionals and make it to sectionals and that take back the national title just because she’s Michelle Kwan and she’s that awesome.

I wish. I think it would be possible for a woman to compete at her age. Gymnast Oksana Chusovitina is 42(!) and still competing well. Here she is winning a vault title in 2017: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYQolrzKUQ And one in 1990: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2z2paZtvFY

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

skatenewbie

Medalist
Didn't Karen have a 3/3 last season? She might not repeat as the US Champion without one. With Med and others landing back loaded 3/3's I hope the US can send a lady to the games that has a solid triple triple combo. I'm still hoping for Angela Wang to get her groove back. Doesn't Mariah Bell have a couple of 3/3's in her new LP?

Yes, I think skatenewbie was proposing a layout that might minimize the risk of < 3T. I think she will continue with the 3Z-3T because it is a good combo to have in the SP, too.

i mean only in LP, no 3-3 in LP is not a problem if you still have 7 triples planned with either two 2A-3T or one 2A-3T and other one Lo-3S combo. i mean without 3-3 Satoko Miyahara scored 140+ in 15/16 season, in fact 2A-3T is better combination because it is easier than 3-3 and also easier to get + GOE. but in SP it would be hard without 3-3

princessalica

Final Flight
Angela Wang was solid in the SP at Finlandia. Can't wait for Polina to skate. I want to see how she does! Why can't I live stream it at work?????

ButchUnicorn

Spectator
Finlandia is interesting....

After SP, Angela Wang is in 4th and Polina is in 14th. To say Polina's short program was under-whelming is putting it mildly.

It is still very early in the season, but I'm not sure how anyone can honestly say that Polina is still in the hunt to make the Olympic team this year. At best, it's a far outside chance.

I was a little taken back with how uncomfortable her SP was to watch.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Finlandia is interesting....

After SP, Angela Wang is in 4th and Polina is in 14th. To say Polina's short program was under-whelming is putting it mildly.

It is still very early in the season, but I'm not sure how anyone can honestly say that Polina is still in the hunt to make the Olympic team this year. At best, it's a far outside chance.

I was a little taken back with how uncomfortable her SP was to watch.

I was very happy for Angela Wang and if Carolina didn't have a such a big reputation, I would have them reversed in placement. As for Polina, I don't like to say this but her Unitard looks like something off the rack at the local Capezio Shop. I have never been a fan of her costuming but good grief, when you live 30 minutes from San Francisco you need to take advantage of all the great designers and costume shops they have there.

I'm glad she made her debut in Finland instead of the prying eyes of the US Fans. I hope she can redeem herself in the free program. I know this is a US forum but, I want to give shout out to TUK!!!! She's back and I just love her. :cheer2: