2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 69 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Roman now has a YouTube channel called Romsky! :yay: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZJ3gGYI_Qd36YeM_sKbZQ

This is his hilarious introduction to the YT channel on Instagram :rofl2: : https://www.instagram.com/p/BcEjol8HW3e/

Adam is 1/4 Canadian because his grandmother is from Toronto (he reveals this fact in this short interview http://iamtorontonian.com/i-feel-torontos-my-second-home/), so we at least get partial dibs on him. ;) :biggrin:

i know which quarter i ll have

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Roman now has a YouTube channel called Romsky! :yay: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWZJ3gGYI_Qd36YeM_sKbZQ

This is his hilarious introduction to the YT channel on Instagram :rofl2: : https://www.instagram.com/p/BcEjol8HW3e/

Adam is 1/4 Canadian because his grandmother is from Toronto (he reveals this fact in this short interview http://iamtorontonian.com/i-feel-torontos-my-second-home/), so we at least get partial dibs on him. ;) :biggrin:

Well if that counts then so does my lineage. So I'll be moving to Canada ASAP. ;) :dance3:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This sounds so sexist, almost like skaters are being treated like meat. Patrick, Scott, Andrew and Eric are all wonderful people, great skaters and fine Canadians.

Yes, all these skaters are wonderful athletes and I admire them very much. It is uncanny that they are all also very attractive. To each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Patrick, how is doing with his health? Is recovering well?

is he injured? never heard he was....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, all these skaters are wonderful athletes and I admire them very much. It is uncanny that they are all also very attractive. To each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

is he injured? never heard he was....

I thought that he pulled out of NHK because he was injured. Is he OK? I certainly hope so........:pray:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I thought that he pulled out of NHK because he was injured. Is he OK? I certainly hope so........:pray:

he said he pulled out to focus on his training...

whether he has done that or not, we don't know... during NHK he was spotted in Vancouver, far away from Oleg and Marina.... so :reye:

at the same time, Patrick is a grown up and knows what he needs to do and how to train...

to me the main issue is that he needs to realize that he wants to compete the best he can, no matter if it means 8th in the world....

Let's put it this way : Patrick has had and deservedly so, an easier time than some other skaters.... Right away, in 2008, he beat buttle at Nationals and the following year, he medaled at worlds... Sure, he had an injury that prevented him to be at his best at the O Games in Vancouver but medaled at worlds shortly after....
Then 2011-12-13, he was pretty much unbeatable. I am not sure that he is used to be entering the ice with the feeling that he may not make the podium, even if clean... I think that's what messed up with him a bit this summer... he tried to add to his BV all last year, adding the salchow, adding the 3 jump combo on the axel, etc... and then, BANG in the fall, he sort of gave up and started removing things.... so I am not sure what changed but his focus and target changed. Perhaps he thought removing jumps would help him skate clean... but IMHO it is attacking that gives him confidence and the edge... not going out there apologetically....

So let's see what he is doing... and what happens next. Nationals are in 6 weeks and i am sure that Patrick will participate and do well. If he were to withdraw, the only thing I would wish for is that he does it 3-4 weeks before, to give his teammates enough time to realize what is happening. but yeah... I am pretty confident that he will go and defend his title.

nimi

Medalist
he said he pulled out to focus on his training...

whether he has done that or not, we don't know... during NHK he was spotted in Vancouver, far away from Oleg and Marina.... so :reye:

at the same time, Patrick is a grown up and knows what he needs to do and how to train...
This is basically what Marina said recently... :slink:

http://fs-gossips.com/marina-zueva-figure-skating-is-50-sport-and-50-art/ (original Russian article here)
At that moment, American journalists approached Marina to clarify the situation with her other skater – Patrick Chan.

You should ask Patrick himself. He’s in Vancouver now. He must decide everything for himself. I adore him, I’m ready to start working at any time. He is the best “performer” in the world. This was him who began a new era in men’s single skating. Patrick is still young, he should continue to skate, as long as possible! I experience his problems together with him, fatigue, all this is not easy … But his skating is unique, unforgettable, no one can compare with him.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This is basically what Marina said recently... :slink:

http://fs-gossips.com/marina-zueva-figure-skating-is-50-sport-and-50-art/ (original Russian article here)

yup.... sounds like what I thought... keep in mind that Patrick was with Kathy for a long time.... and she wouldn't be the kind of coach to offer constant advice on the ice.... did she even put skates on? I think Patrick has had the ultimate mentorship with Mr. Colson and has learned how to use his edges and skates to deep level of understanding.

So i am not surprised : he is escaping.. He wants to train alone. He wants to live different things.... From the quote you posted I like the unbolded parts too ;) hehe

Patrick : go check in with Oleg and Johnny and have some time with Marina.... I am sure you are fine on your own, but working with other people sometimes clears your mind and makes you see things faster and from a different angle. :)

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Stephen has beaten all the top canadian men who are 4-6 years older than him except patrick. That says something. I would watch out for him. It will be his first jgp season next season and i wouldnt be surprised if he wins junior worlds and gpf in his first junior season.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Stephen has beaten all the top canadian men who are 4-6 years older than him except patrick. That says something. I would watch out for him. It will be his first jgp season next season and i wouldnt be surprised if he wins junior worlds and gpf in his first junior season.

Well Stephen had a very tough outing today at CHallenge.. Let's not put too much pressure on him. He is a tiny 12 year old soul.

kresslia

Medalist
if i start expecting gpf and world gold in his first season i am bound to be disappointed lol

having said that i must admit i will be disappointed if he doesnt eventually grow into the top canadian male and one of the best in the world. seems like he has the goods

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
if i start expecting gpf and world gold in his first season i am bound to be disappointed lol

having said that i must admit i will be disappointed if he doesnt eventually grow into the top canadian male and one of the best in the world. seems like he has the goods

i am just very not willing to hype him ;) US junior skaters are often super hyped and then... poof... they vanish without realizing their full potential... I think we have a lot of talent coming out of juniors right now with guys all capable of multiple quads..... all I wish for them is to find their happy and consistent place and gain confidence.

Stephen had a very difficult outing at Challenge missing two of his jumping passes out of 3, missing a spin and even stumbling slightly in some steps at one point... it wasn't the Stephen we know... He looked "gone" after the skate.

If anything, I hope it's not because some people have put in his head that he would win Challenge and podium at Nationals.

Regarding Challenge : i'd be curious to hear what you think about the extremely low PCS the judges are giving ALL our boys... Even Nic, Elladj and Joseph didn't get into the 8s.... and these 3 are by far above the pack in PCS at this event.

Any idea why they are kept real for? I just find it funny as I usually don't think the judges in Canada score very generously.... though some people vehemently disagree with me ;) but yeah... I'd be surprised her to hear some thoughts.

xox

On the Ice
Stephen is better than Nam ever was but let him have time to develop. It is a long journey. Look at the hype over Nam and look at Nam... his 3rd coach in less than a year.... And I am not convinced his short program at challenge makes him a favorite for the second spot.

gottadance

On the Ice
i am just very not willing to hype him ;) US junior skaters are often super hyped and then... poof... they vanish without realizing their full potential... I think we have a lot of talent coming out of juniors right now with guys all capable of multiple quads..... all I wish for them is to find their happy and consistent place and gain confidence.

Stephen had a very difficult outing at Challenge missing two of his jumping passes out of 3, missing a spin and even stumbling slightly in some steps at one point... it wasn't the Stephen we know... He looked "gone" after the skate.

If anything, I hope it's not because some people have put in his head that he would win Challenge and podium at Nationals.

Regarding Challenge : i'd be curious to hear what you think about the extremely low PCS the judges are giving ALL our boys... Even Nic, Elladj and Joseph didn't get into the 8s.... and these 3 are by far above the pack in PCS at this event.

Any idea why they are kept real for? I just find it funny as I usually don't think the judges in Canada score very generously.... though some people vehemently disagree with me ;) but yeah... I'd be surprised her to hear some thoughts.

just watched Sr Men LP at Challenge - very impressed with J Phan - does he have minimum scores just in case he happens to be chosen for Canadian Olympic team ( admit its a long shot )

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
just watched Sr Men LP at Challenge - very impressed with J Phan - does he have minimum scores just in case he happens to be chosen for Canadian Olympic team ( admit its a long shot )
Nope. A few of us have complained about that. He has no senior tes scores. If i am not mistaken he has inly competed internationally as a junior

gottadance

On the Ice
Nope. A few of us have complained about that. He has no senior tes scores. If i am not mistaken he has inly competed internationally as a junior

that's just ridiculous - he is already a beautiful skater and probably our 3rd best at this point after PC and Keegan ( based on recent performances by other " contenders " like Reynolds, and Firus , )after Can you also enlighten me as to why there don't appear to be any Canadian skaters in Golden Spin next week - it would have been better to send him there and skip the Challenge to get International exposure IMHO?

Also where was Conrad Orzel - wasn't at Challenge and isn't listed for Golden Spin - I hope he isn't injured because he too has a lot of potential .
Thanks for answering so promptly - I envy your fund of knowledge and inner connections !