2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If you want to just watch some Canadians on the JGP you are in luck as they're all skating around the same time. Galiyanova/Tang and Stairs/Royer close out the ice dance SD, going 15th & 16th, while Conrad skates first in junior men. The ice dancers are on 17:08-17:21 (11:08-11:21 AM Eastern) and Conrad goes 18:01:30 - 18:07:40 (12:01:30 - 12:07:40 PM Eastern). Results page for Cup of Austria is here.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Reading these quotes from the CBC article about Tessa and Scott has me really excited to see what they do with Moulin Rouge:

It was one of the rare times the ice dancers insisted on a particular piece of music. Virtue said there was "no other option."

"We knew that we felt this so much and loved this so much, that was nothing that could compare," said the London, Ont., native.

"We really love it, and skating to it feels special. I don't know what it will look like, might be a complete mess," Moir laughed. "But I can tell you that we're having a blast while we do it, and we feel a special connection to it and hopefully that will show through."

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Y'know, at first I totally wasn't feeling the Latch FD roughly around this time last year when V/M debuted it, but despite my dislike of Sam Smith's music, it grew on me, and I now see the program as one of their many masterpieces. :yes:

Sorry, Diva Wagner, I love ya and all, but I think your monopoly over the most (recent) iconic Moulin Rouge program will be coming to an end fairly soon. ;)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not 2018-Olympic related, but has anyone posted this recent article about mrrice's main Canadian homegirl and our 2002 Olympian: Jennifer Robinson?

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...n-living-simple-life-in-ontario?tcid=fb_share

She's as gorgeous as ever and has a beautiful young family! It's nice to read about what she's up to these days, not to mention it's awesome that she's been inducted into the Skate Canada hall of fame!

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm trying to find more videos but it looks like the local news did not cover HPC this year. :( Maybe because SCI isn't in the GTA this year.

CBC: In minds of Virtue and Moir, Olympics have already begun
TSN: Virtue, Moir say they'll miss Babcock at Olympics
The London Free Press : Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir put their ‘stamp’ on movie music
Toronto Star: Harvey hits close to home for Canadian ice dancer Weaver :(
Skate Canada's FB live video hosted by Kaetlyn: https://www.facebook.com/SkateCanada/videos/10154922326887039/

sarama

Medalist
dear sarama, believe me - I can relate to those feelings you're experiencing. In my case it's more of general feeling 'Moulin rouge' being this last competitive FD while I would love to see so much more different programs/themes from Tessa and Scott - it's just this longing feeling, nostalgia after things not chosen that disappointment experienced over the choice itself (I am a bit tripping/rambling so apologies if I am not clear about my feelings, the truth s that I am probably not in regards to Tessa/Scott announcements).

My current perspective is that I am not very fond of music or move themselves, BUT I am very fond of the story told by that picture, this glamorous, show-y vibe of it with love story woven into it. This concept is for me basically what Tessa and Scott's skating and performance is about: to engage audience into the story which portray their personal interpretation, feelings and emotions through movement and gesture. 'Moulin Rouge' by Tessa and Scott could be a multi-dimensional journey, a kaleidoscope of sparkly show presented along with emotional story portray, where entertaining value would be equally important as feelings expressed.

While I cannot get the music and picture now, referring to the actual movie, in relation to Tessa and Scott's choice for FD, I have definitely an open mind to get attached emotionally/visually to actual program when I will see it. I learned that sole choice of music/theme does not mean everything is now clear and decided - with Ice Dance, a lot depends on their interpretation put (more show-y, more emotional, more storytelling perspective), choreography, music cuts, costumes, character taken (if any), aura and vibe created...At the same time, I try to understand those who are attached to the certain image of music/movie created worldwide about 'Moulin Rouge' and seeing Tessa/Scott's choice through that - it's all about personal spin on things announced and respect others.

I am also extremely curious about this SD plot with Rolling Stones song - and let me be clear, I am curious and interesting about DANCE, program, choreography, music cuts, interpretation and attitude presented with it, not making this one particular song's choice blown up out of any proportion based on personal relationship/interpretation of song itself/its lyrics, like some of people already did. I reserve my opinion on program until I see it, but if they will use that song in SD I think it will pose an equal challenge to them as skaters, dancers and performers and to audiences, as for getting past through personal prejudices towards song itself to see the program, the purpose and the concept of Tessa and Scott in it.
You are absolutely right. And they seem so excited about this program so I will try to watch it with zero bias.

And yes the SD sounds glorious!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Y'know, at first I totally wasn't feeling the Latch FD roughly around this time last year when V/M debuted it, but despite my dislike of San Smith's music, it grew on me and I now see the program as one of their many masterpieces. :yes:

Sorry, Diva Wagner, I love ya and all, but I think your monopoly over the most recently iconic Moulin Rouge program will be coming to an end fairly soon. ;)

hi Sarah, hope all is good:):ghug:

You're making a great example of what I said in one of my earlier posts - despite particular personal musical dislike, you were able to warm to the program itself, the way it presented the music and skaters. I think that personal prejudices, reservations about one, sole element of the upcoming program as a whole should not make a decisive opinion on wholesome package we have not yet seen, especially when it comes to Tessa and Scott and their choices made for Olympic season, because well - they did not make themselves an easy path, that's for sure.

I think that their choices are very surprising and unusual, especially SD musical selections, which could be taken as a good and bad thing at the same time, depending on personal take. It's good, because it's fresh, challenging, unusual, bold and very them at the same time, proving that they're still willing to challenge and dare themselves and expand horizons despite broad experience. At the same time - not typical Latin SD and not universally liked 'Moulin Rouge' for sure will make a food for haters/ubers of other teams, accusing them of not fulfilling rhythmic requirements for SD/not being Latin enough/promoting Satan (which already started and is beyond my imagination)/being tacky with 'Moulin Rouge' choice...All that even before full programs were revealed. It's a shame that there is so much personally-inflicted negativity projected, especially towards particular skaters/teams, at the same time - God forbid some to even mention their favourite in any sense...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Pj Kwong posted a couple of short interviews from HPC on youtube

Patrick

WeaPo

Young people.......Listen to Patrick Chan. It may sound like arrogance but he's exactly right!! Once you've been trained and possess the necessary skills, it's all about belief. This is why, should he have the desire, I think he will be a brilliant coach! I really want to go Nationals this year....

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not 2018-Olympic related, but has anyone posted this recent article about mrrice's main Canadian homegirl and our 2002 Olympian: Jennifer Robinson?

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017...n-living-simple-life-in-ontario?tcid=fb_share

She's as gorgeous as ever and has a beautiful young family! It's nice to read about what she's up to these days, not to mention it's awesome that she's been inducted into the Skate Canada hall of fame!

I can't believe I just saw this!! Sarah......Thank you so much for posting this for us to read. You're so right about my love Jennifer. She is a beautiful, talented, smart, and very thoughtful woman.