2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating

breadstal

Record Breaker
So if I'm correct these are the current entries for JGP for the Korean ladies so far that I've managed to find.

1 - Australia: Su been Jeon, Eun bi Ko
2 - Austria: Eunsoo Lim, Ji yun Lee
3 - Latvia: Yunkyung Kam, Hyun soo Lee
4 - Belarus: Yelim Kim
5 - Croatia: You Young
6 - Poland: Eunsoo Lim
7 - Italy: You young, Yelim Kim

Yunkyung has another assignment, but I don't know where they're putting her. I kind of wish they were sending her to Australia though.

Thank you! Hyunsoo also has one more assignment. I guess they will go to Croatia and Poland.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I checked out Young You's programs and to be honest... I wasn't all that impressed. I really dislike the SP and the color scheme of the outfit isn't really to my liking. The FS was better but the program itself still isn't what I'd prefer. Her Flip had a tendency to be e also, though whether they'll call that is unknown considering what Medvedeva's been able to get away with. Her rotating speed in the air was also a bit scary. Didn't really get the feel that it was effortless for her.

It's kind of puzzling. I haven't seen her skate since winning senior nationals and I did prefer her skating back then, actually. Hopefully it's just summer rust and she'll show better in the JGP, though I still doubt I'll be a fan of these specific programs.

Kara

Final Flight
I don't understand why KSU didn't give one of them JGP Australia assignment. That one is a weak field and they could easily medal there. :scratch2::noshake:

You and me both.:gaah: It only gets harder to medal for later JGPs because the Russian fed will switch out girls who have a better chance of making JGPF then. For Australia, Gulyakova said she wouldn't do the 3A, Trusova is trying the 4S which might backfire on her though she still probably has enough BV to win. and the Japanese girls are a level lower going by the Gensan summer cup results. Takino said that she would try the 3A depending on how her practice goes, but I think it's going to backfire too. Honestly, a really good opportunity and they waste it.:palmf: In the first place, with 5 girls allotted 2 assignments, they should have already staggered them so there's at least 1 of them in each JGP.

I just really want to see at least one of them skating at Nagoya.:(

breadstal

Record Breaker
Some Challengers/Intrernational entries:

Ondrej Nepela, Men: Jinseo Kim, Ladies: Dabin Choi, Seoyoung Yoon, Ice Dance: Yura Min / Alexander Gamelin

Nebelhorn Trophy: Men: Junehyoung Lee, Pairs: Suyeon Kim / Hyungtae Kim, Ice Dance: Yura Min / Alexander Gamelin

Lombardia Trophy: Ladies: Gyohee Jeon, Nahyun Kim

breadstal

Record Breaker
A medal for South Korea in JGP with Eunsoo winning Silver in Austria. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy0UfOrbxgU Last year South Korea was the only country other than Russia/Japan to medal in Ladies competition with Eunsoo's Bronze in Germany. Hopefully this year we will see more medals from all members of Holy Trinity :rock:

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Eunsoo (KSU what the hell) and Jihun To. You Young would be perfect tbh :/

:eek: seriously? EunSoo just finished cup of Austria... she deserves some rest, man.
I think EunSoo can sue them for child abuse... :dev2:

Kara

Final Flight
I complained about it in the Latvia entries thread, but what the hell is the KSU even doing? They should have listed all of their JGP members as subs for each event, but no, they can't be bothered to do something so simple that might make such a difference.:palmf: Strategy exists, you know? Nothing that can be done about it now, but it still makes me mad. At least they aren't forcing Eunsoo to compete again, but they aren't replacing Yunkyung with anyone so that's goodbye to her second spot.:( I'm so so sad about this happening in her debut season, but I hope she prioritizes recovery more than anything else and doesn't get too down about it.

But this also means that Hyunsoo is competing in Latvia alone lmao.:no: I recently watched her SP and FS and I quite like the choreography in the SP. I've never heard of Sung Mi Han, but there were a lot of nice touches in the SP. Her raised arm in her layback spin is really really ugly though so hopefully that got fixed...:slink:

As for Young, I think she would have been best put in for Belarus with Yelim instead of putting them together for Italy where you have a high chance of encountering Tarakanova, Trusova or Kihira. Or using the sub for Eunsoo to be placed in there. Also looking at the chart, it looks like KSU only submitted subs for events after their first assigned spot which is...:palmf: Anyway, I hope they use their heads but knowing them, they won't.

tjb

Match Penalty
and what's wrong with sending eun-soo to latvia? there's probably the weakest line up she can find.
i don't know how it works in korea, but for russia it's nothing unusual to compete every week in domestic competitions. what's so tiresome about competitions anyway? eun-soo is an elite figure skater, she trains for many hours everyday, and doing a multiple run troughs of her programs in practices.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Well Eunsoo would have to travel to another JGP, that would be tiring for her, if we want to maximize the performances of Korean skaters we wouldn't make them compete back to back. Domestic competitions have less at stake.

Meanwhile You Young and Yelim Kim are scheduled to compete against one another in Italy when they are 2 of the top junior competitors in South Korea. Throw in a top Russian Junior lady and a top Japanese junior lady, the chance of grabbing a medal and making the JGPF just gets really small. Plus the Japanese and Russian fields are so deep, they could send 2 medal contenders each. KSU needs to spread the wealth but yet again, we are all frustrated by their lack of rational thought.

breadstal

Record Breaker
and what's wrong with sending eun-soo to latvia? there's probably the weakest line up she can find.
i don't know how it works in korea, but for russia it's nothing unusual to compete every week in domestic competitions. what's so tiresome about competitions anyway? eun-soo is an elite figure skater, she trains for many hours everyday, and doing a multiple run troughs of her programs in practices.

I agree about field but one of Eunsoo's problems is her stamina. She already competed two weeks in row and she did pretty good but I'm sure for her it would be better for her to rest and have time to work on improving things from this competition/ Shame that Eunsoo didn't go to Brisbane and Latvia (and I'm saying this as fan from Poland where is her next event lol).

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Well Eunsoo would have to travel to another JGP, that would be tiring for her, if we want to maximize the performances of Korean skaters we wouldn't make them compete back to back. Domestic competitions have less at stake.

Meanwhile You Young and Yelim Kim are scheduled to compete against one another in Italy when they are 2 of the top junior competitors in South Korea. Throw in a top Russian Junior lady and a top Japanese junior lady, the chance of grabbing a medal and making the JGPF just gets really small. Plus the Japanese and Russian fields are so deep, they could send 2 medal contenders each. KSU needs to spread the wealth but yet again, we are all frustrated by their lack of rational thought.

The problem is that KSU too much care about skaters' opinions. :(
Young and Yelim both chose to go late JGP and tell that to KSU, and KSU accepted all. That's the problem. The federation should consider what is good for skaters, but also have to use strategy.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Well, how far is it from Salzburg to Latvia? It is not that bad if Eun soo stays in Europe between the two events. If she gets a different assignment, she would travel once more to Europe. International travel is quite energy-consuming too.

Kara

Final Flight

I actually wouldn't be too against it after more thought if she went straight from Austria to Latvia and rested up, but she has her sights set on Poland so I guess KSU didn't push her. Poland I think will be really hard to get another silver medal or better though.:( Also is Latvia really considered weak by people? You have Kihira and Panenkova, who both are pretty consistent high scorers, doesn't that seem pretty strong?