2017 Austria Ladies SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Austria Ladies SP

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Wow~~ Never notice her before, but she is probably better than all the U.S. junior ladies.

I mean, at this point in time, mostly all of the Russian junior ladies are better than most of the USA junior ladies. The question is just how many of them will end up making it into Seniors, when puberty hits and when spots get more competitive.

I wish the US ladies were better than they were, and they're working on it (especially with sending some of the younger skaters to internationals/more competitions) but it'll take a while to see the changes resonate through the entire system.

frida80

Record Breaker
Wow~~ Never notice her before, but she is probably better than all the U.S. junior ladies.

Of course she is. The Russians are on another level. Sadly it's because of how the Us system has been structured and how they didn't really develop talent. They've made a number of changes which is starting to show up. But think about this, in 2013 Polina won her JGP with a 171. Now you may not even get on the podium with that.

What I'm happy to see is unlike last year, we are not soon and gloom about the US future of skating based on these girls performances. It's just one competition. Countries have peaks and valleys. Let's just let the kids skate and learn. It's a lot more fun that way for all of us.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nastya Gubanova struggled in like every SP and was still very successful all of last season. How bout we skip the SP drama this season sweetie ;)

Win Loose or Draw....I got her back even though I'm pretty certain that I'm doomed to sleep right thru it :slink:

Good luck to everyone :yes:

breadstal

Record Breaker
USA has some really talented girls that in their best could compete with the best juniors but they don't have consistency and this is what makes Russian girls so great, they're consistent and all-rounded. I agree that it's training structure problem.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
USA has some really talented girls that in their best could compete with the best juniors but they don't have consistency and this is what makes Russian girls so great, they're consistent and all-rounded. I agree that it's training structure problem.

While this is definitely the case, the US has just a few juniors like that, making the JGP spots easier to give out. But there's so many talented AND consistent Russian juniors that they can't all get even one spot! If the US developed a training system like that, then we could compete with Russia. But as of now we can't, and I also agree that it's the training structure that's the problem.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Holland and Belgium both represented in a JGP. Nice. Well hey, I've never been too impressed with Dutch figure skating, but with last night's absolutely laughable performance by the Dutch soccer team in mind, anything sports-related is better than that! :agree:

edit: doing a running count of Lala land. This is the fourth, there were three programs at Brisbane, IIRC. :shocked:

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Impressive program from Polina. Jumps need working on, but she has a good vibrancy when performing. Nice way to start the competition.

Kara

Final Flight
I think I'm gonna lowkey hate La La Land before the senior season even starts..:slink:

And yowch she didn't look happy with her scores.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I think I'm gonna lowkey hate La La Land before the senior season even starts..:slink:

And yowch she didn't look happy with her scores.

Huh. She improved her ISU PB score by 7 points anyway even if she wasn't happy.

I just woke up so I missed her skate.

Stefanie, skating now, is adorable

Kara

Final Flight
Move aside half covered boots, introducing the new trend of G-string coverings for skates.:unsure:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I was really surprised by Polina. It was smoother than I had expected it would be. I'd get rid of gloves but it's my personal taste. Too bad she wasn't happy with her score.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
I am scratching my head for the under 20 PWC for Polina as well...
the exit of a jump to a twizzle is nice :agree:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Oooh Lara's dress is awesome. Very pretty.

As for La La Land, there's two more programs this competition: Lea Johanna Dastich's SP (GER) and Hana Cvijanovic's FS (CRO)

Kara

Final Flight
LOVE Lara's music and dress. The 2A was so nice with great height. Pity about the fall.:(