2017 GP Skate America Short Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate America Short Dance

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
But there are also H/D in game and to some extent, B/S and W/P.

A 79 puts Shibs in heavy favourite for the US title and Olympic medal though. It's huge. I know it's at home and I know you can't compare scores, but H/D still don't have Shibs PCS and here they're huge. But we'll see at GPF how it's compared. For now Shibs have a clear lead on them I think.

bixby

Final Flight
If we put this short by the Shibs vs V/M & P/C, it would be a tough call for me. Without bias (impossible) and not basing it on reputation, just simply judge it from what was delivered on the ice, heck I would put the Shibs on top. Tonight, they look more "technically superior" than those two teams. Am I wrong?

Not because you're an avid fan of one team vs another or rooting for your favorite pair... just your honest opinion.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... levels are so low for almost everyone.... who said that scores keep rising throughout the GP season? well this tech panel must think SKAM is the first event of the season like usually :)

rain

Record Breaker
I was sooooooooooooooooooooo bored with the Latin programs tonight. I think I'm latined out for the season but we still have months to go. I didn't feel this way about the blues/Hiphop/Swing programs last year. I actually looked forward to the short dance more than the long last year.

I'm bored of the music, I'm bored with the pattern. The only thing to look forward to is the tacky dresses and some of the ladies are not living up to their part of the bargain.

I'm so disappointed in how little sensuality any of the teams seem to be able to bring to the ice. It all looks like forced posing with almost none of the teams managing to bring an ounce of sexual heat between partners. It's bizarre.

Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It was the same at the 1994 Olympics until Torvill and Dean came out and schooled everyone in the rhumba. They made all of the other teams look like poorly play-acting children. I think it would benefit a lot of these teams to take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLb-BeA1nNM and make note especially of the eye contact.

auser

Record Breaker
I was sooooooooooooooooooooo bored with the Latin programs tonight. I think I'm latined out for the season but we still have months to go. I didn't feel this way about the blues/Hiphop/Swing programs last year. I actually looked forward to the short dance more than the long last year.

I'm bored of the music, I'm bored with the pattern. The only thing to look forward to is the tacky dresses and some of the ladies are not living up to their part of the bargain.
I can't say I am bored exactly because I love watching SD, but I definitely am not as excited about this season's dances as I was last season.:yes: Last spring I was babbling to family members who live in the area where 2018 USA Nationals are scheduled that I was seriously considering attending the ice dance events. Last month I told them I would not be coming. Maybe because it is an Olympic year, the SDs just seem to be not very adventurous. :)

Kutien

Final Flight
1Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA79.181video
2Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA72.702video
3Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOVRUS68.723video
4Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO] RUS64.204video
5Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN64.075video
6Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED JPN62.306video
7Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA62.157video
8Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA58.368video
9Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIUCHN55.579video

keasus

On the Ice
If we put this short by the Shibs vs V/M & P/C, it would be a tough call for me. Without bias (impossible) and not basing it on reputation, just simply judge it from what was delivered on the ice, heck I would put the Shibs on top. Tonight, they look more "technically superior" than those two teams. Am I wrong?

Not because you're an avid fan of one team vs another or rooting for your favorite pair... just your honest opinion.

I like my Latin fun and energetic or sexy. Shibs nailed the former for me, and V/M the latter. P/C's Latin SD . . .:disapp:

Ice Diva

On the Ice

I know what you mean -- that's why I love V/M and H/D's SDs - Latin rhythm, sans the tacky & cliche.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm so disappointed in how little sensuality any of the teams seem to be able to bring to the ice. It all looks like forced posing with almost none of the teams managing to bring an ounce of sexual heat between partners. It's bizarre.

Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It was the same at the 1994 Olympics until Torvill and Dean came out and schooled everyone in the rhumba. They made all of the other teams look like poorly play-acting children. I think it would benefit a lot of these teams to take a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLb-BeA1nNM and make note especially of the eye contact.

Thanks for the old school Torvill and Dean goodness :thumbsup:

GGFan

Record Breaker
For an 80s cartoon cum toy commercial, it's not bad? You can tell the team put their heart into the first seasons, even if they couldn't afford decent animation, and I still listen to the music!

Best song, BTW

The music videos were the best. I also love that Jem always had to hit the craziest glory note in every song!

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
For an 80s cartoon cum toy commercial, it's not bad? You can tell the team put their heart into the first seasons, even if they couldn't afford decent animation, and I still listen to the music!

Best song, BTW
Hugo actually loves that haha
He showed me it before, I just forgot
He is singing it now [emoji23]: "la musique magique..."

rain

Record Breaker

V/M are head and shoulders above the others in the SD. They're not actually getting as much credit or margin as they deserve. While for P/C this year's SD is an improvement on their turkey last year (they never could do a convincing blues to save their lives, and were realistically only about 3rd or 4th best without their world champion bonus) it's still not as close to V/M's as it's being scored thus far. I think they're getting a lot of credit for simply being better than last year. I think the Shibs are second (I thought they had the second best SD last year too). P/C third because of their skating skills (as in they have really good ones and move well over the ice).

I'm sure mine is a really unpopular opinion.

bixby

Final Flight

I'm not expert on dance or well verse on any Latin dance being "sensual" or must have "sensual heat" kind of stuff, but I'm really okay WITHOUT it.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow... levels are so low for almost everyone.... who said that scores keep rising throughout the GP season? well this tech panel must think SKAM is the first event of the season like usually :)[/QUOT

From Ben Agosto's commentary the performances didn't seem as bad as the judges scored them.

GGFan

Record Breaker
V/M are head and shoulders above the others in the SD. They're not actually getting as much credit or margin as they deserve. While for P/C this year's SD is an improvement on their turkey last year (they never could do a convincing blues to save their lives, and were realistically only about 3rd or 4th best without their world champion bonus) it's still not as close to V/M's as it's being scored thus far. I think they're getting a lot of credit for simply being better than last year. I think the Shibs are second (I thought they had the second best SD last year too). P/C third because of their skating skills (as in they have really good ones and move well over the ice).

I'm sure mine is a really unpopular opinion.

I agree with this. V/M are doing things on another level in terms of maturity and characterization. I think latin is the genre where the lack of power from the Shibs is not as evident and P/C's lack of quick turns show up. Different story in the FD of course.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

Okay, I'm going to try with pure honesty (doing my best I swear).

We're not enough qualified to judge levels so I'll leave that out (anyway those 3 teams either get all level4s OR one level3 only). So in the SD only :

Twizzles : P/C have the biggest ice coverage, Shibs have the cleanest, I think V/M have the 3rd (yes, objectively). So if everyone clean, usually P/C will get a bit more, sometimes V/M because of the ice coverage. Also P/C have an "unexpected entry". Shibs aren't slow on twizzles but not as much ice coverage.

Lifts : V/M almost max out on ALL their lifts including the one in the SD (in SCI). It might not be the one you prefer but it ticks all the boxes and it suits the theme (huge, in your face and fast). Shibs and P/C don't have necessarily that big wow factor even though they have a very nice entry in their SD lift. However, both Shibs and P/C's lift are more aesthetically pleasing.

No-touch : goes to V/M, it's very sharp. They had the max GOEs at NHK.

Pattern : V/M seems to have the best one, but we never got a clear angle with the camera :dev2: P/C are also very fast and nice edges and Shibs very clean. But V/M wins on this.

Pst : P/C have the best (It's one of their strength on the SD), they had the maximum GOEs in France. V/M's is a close 2nd and today Shibs had a very very clean one (But not as "deep").

On PCS then you'd have to compare teams back to back... But yes P/C and V/M have more ice coverage, are faster, thus have bigger edges and also skate with more abandon (it causes them to do mistakes more often too).

And all the SD match the ISU requirement ("Latin ballroom"). I think we should close the debate on that, it's pointless.
People tend to forget that SD is still judged on elements more than anything.

Once again, objective point of view (I did my best). Feel free to debate/discuss with me (anyone) :agree:

But comparing all of that doesn't take away anything from one team.