2017 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

Khoai

Match Penalty
Not Yuna Kim again, pls. Can't we move on?
Of course, the field has moved on. Now 7 triples with tano, rippon and blackload and crazy transitions are the standard.
I do hope they will work on 3A and even UR or PR quads.

winky97

Medalist
Well, blame US system for not being able to push their underdeveloped girls the same way.

Assume much based on my flag? My favorite skaters right now are not US. In fact, it's been a awhile since I have had a US favorite. Digging a few Russian girls right now. I am not all "my country". I am about the skater, not the country. Have always been the case. So, despite the fact that people always want to think there are sour grapes when someone thinks differently, none here. I just think the system, as it stands now is flawed, and too heavily favors little girl skating.

Last edited:

clippers8200

On the Ice
Of course, the field has moved on. Now 7 triples with tano, rippon and blackload and crazy transitions are the standard.
I do hope they will work on 3A and even UR or PR quads.

I don't know why Yuna gets dragged into the most random of threads. There is no doubt how technically talented the current field is and Med especially, but I still do not really feel artistic connection to many in the Russian field (although there are may exceptions). I do hope this sport doesn't only become a competition to see who can put their arms above their head the most or who can get the most transitions in, but also who can connect to the music and make the viewer invested in performance and not just count points.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally got to watch Gubanova's FS and I'm so pumped for her 133!! I'd say her programs have some of the most naturally likable feeling in the movements for me and her skating has a special life to it. In an age of programs that look rehearsed to death it's a nice to just relax and watch someone look so natural on the ice. I'm not saying one style is superior or any of that jazz I'm just showing love for another aspect of skating that I hope will always be around. Her likability to me is similar to that of Mariah Bell.

To those saying she'll lose her jumps....maybe she will maybe she won't....but in case she does it seems vital to show her love now and enjoy every second of it. Honestly her leg extention on the landings is really impressive especially on her 2a.

She did pretty well for a 14 yr old junior competing at this level.

Last edited:

lakeside

On the Ice
Excellent event!
She's the G.O.A.T. for good reason. :) Too bad none of these talented, beautiful Russian ladies can match her overall quality and mastery.
Evgenia's program is definitely better than kim's Sochi lp. Kim had no 3lo and sloppy spins, and the program choreography was so boring. Evgenia is more technically sound and emotes more in her program.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Excellent event!

She's the G.O.A.T. for good reason. :) Too bad none of these talented, beautiful Russian ladies can match her overall quality and mastery.

Yuna was great and amazing. She has written down her name in the book of figure skating with letters of gold, no doubt. But she did not master everything. She will be surpassed, and probably even by one of those russian ladies who will then be surpassed as well. The sport develops and goes on.

Moment

Final Flight
Evgenia's program is definitely better than kim's Sochi lp. Kim had no 3lo and sloppy spins, and the program choreography was so boring. Evgenia is more technically sound and emotes more in her program.

Her body is poorly aligned on every jump she enters, so no. She's pretty, though.

lakeside

On the Ice
Her body is poorly aligned on every jump she enters, so no. She's pretty, though.
I don't think Evgenia's body is "poorly aligned on every jump she enters." I don't think any of these ladies is poorly aligned on every jump they enter. I'd only call Lipnitskaia's body poorly aligned on every jump she enters, not any other ladies.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think Evgenia's body is "poorly aligned on every jump she enters." I don't think any of these ladies is poorly aligned on every jump they enter. I'd only call Lipnitskaia's body poorly aligned on every jump she enters, not any other ladies.

What What?

linkintank

Rinkside
Skaters can only do triple jumps maximum twice and only repeat two triples twice. Zhenya could do a Triple Flip Triple Loop and then do Sal/Loop combo or just go with the triple loop triple loop - which she trains. Zagitova is maxed out for a non triple axel/quad routine.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Didn't expect a fairly clean Anna to be beaten by Maria + her popped axel :eek:

Well, that's only the point difference between a 1A and 2A, Sotskova was otherwise flawless with +GOE.

Pogorilaya, on the other hand, got an edge call and a UR triple.

begin

Medalist
:scowl: @ the Russian federation. ICU bumping Sotskova/Zagitova up and hell hath no fury like me if they start get higher PCS than Anna. God forbid that happen this coming Olympic season.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the 10% bonus has been exposed To the point we need to change it. I think it should only apply to skaters who also execute at least three jumping passes in the first half too and maybe even one combo. Let's get them all tuckered out before we give em a bonus. No bonus in the SP.....please :handw:

madison

Record Breaker
I wanted to mention something when people were talking about TAT going three, three, three. She was in super fast speaking mode but she said something interesting about the 3S-3T-3T. She said Zhenya with that skating was showing Eteri that it is possible to make her program more complex, that it is necessary to make them more complex. And that that is stunning. Then she apologized to Zhenya for speaking while she was still skating. But seriously, it's an interesting thought, looking at the bigger picture, especially what followed.
A clear signal that Zhenya is in danger... definitely not this year, but next year, one never knows.

Last edited:

RaylHaze

Rinkside
Watched a few videos of these ladies

My fav russian girl this season is Gubanova! I hope she gets more love on international events. I love her balanced programs even though it won't beat the top ladies layout. Her flow and grace is so beautiful to watch in the ice!

begin

Medalist
Watched a few videos of these ladies

My fav russian girl this season is Gubanova! I hope she gets more love on international events. I love her balanced programs even though it won't beat the top ladies layout. Her flow and grace is so beautiful to watch in the ice!

Anastasia is gorgeous! So expressive and sophisticated, especially for her age. Between her and Alisa Fedichkina, Russia has itself some wonderfully talented young performers that really deserve to shine on the international stage. Unfortunately both their jumps always have me clinging to my chair for dear life. I can only hope that puberty is kind to them and gives them a chance to breakout.

Khoai

Match Penalty
I don't know why Yuna gets dragged into the most random of threads. There is no doubt how technically talented the current field is and Med especially, but I still do not really feel artistic connection to many in the Russian field (although there are may exceptions). I do hope this sport doesn't only become a competition to see who can put their arms above their head the most or who can get the most transitions in, but also who can connect to the music and make the viewer invested in performance and not just count points.
I don't get the hate for Miss Medvedeva. Yes her scores seem too high. But so did Miss Kim's scores in the old days, too high for the layout she did. This is what judges do to the so-called leader of the era.
Miss Medvedeva's jump technique do not look effortless. But she still gets the job done. Her jumps are getting higher than before. She gets the flow of of the landing. She has difficult transitions in and out. Mathematically she did everything well.
You prefer connection to the music and performance, but might if I ask what exactly they are? When it come to such subjectivity, we can never get a correct choice.