2018 Four Continents Ladies FS | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Ladies FS

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
I agree Mihara's performance was rather juniorish. Just skating through the elements. She did way better last year truth be told. I guess not being in the Olympic team must have wilted her confidence and her composure.

It was her short program which got her into trouble throughout this season. Mihara admitted that she's not good at skating "Libertango" but she refused to change the short program because she wants to diversify her repertoire. The choreography of tango made it difficult for her to execute clean jumps. On the contrary, "Gabriel's Oboe" for her free program is just right for her and her free program score was over 140, which was the first time in this season.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
If that is the case why don't we see hikes for Boyang or Vincent?
What is the definition of a jumping bean and do they deserve highest PCS?

Do you see values in able to interpret, emote, performing to music and quality of choreography, ability to fine tuning nuaounces, subtlely, sensitivity, and able to seamlessly integrate them to give meaning beyond points crunching? If not, then it explains so much. The best painting is not because it has the most oil and colours on them...

Boyang and Vincent are not getting PCS bump because they are just pure jumpers. Zagitova isn't, every single jumping pass has a transition and/or tano. She also does a variety of them which certainly gives judges more reason to give her higher PCS. I believe Hanyu and Chen are comparable in SS but Hanyu absolutely slaughters Chen in transitions and that's reflected in their PCS. Honestly there seem to be a bias among ladies who packed transitions but nobody complains when Hanyu and Fernandez do them. I love transitions they separate the amateurs from the elite. I really don't want to see another program that just crossovers intersperse with caressing the face and call that a gold medal worthy performance.

Vincent got 87.34 at US National , and Dmitri ALIEV got 87.44 at Europe, both just came up from Junior and Vicent won it last year. So everyone is guilty of inflated score

But where I would knock Vincent down by 10 points, I would knock Aliev by 5.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Vincent, Aliev and Boyang... anyone would think this was a thread about the men's skating event.

bixby

Final Flight
But where I would knock Vincent down by 10 points, I would knock Aliev by 5.

That's not fair! -10 for Vincent, -5 for Aliev. Can we negotiate here? If you knock down 10 for one, why not 10 for the other guy also. If 5 is the number, then let's give it to both of them. At least we're consistent and not bias against the other.

But go ahead if that pleases you...

PLEASE! Figure skating is made up of crossovers and can't do a program without it. Difficult jumps like quad needs speed leading up to the take off, hence, lots of crossovers to create momentum. And that's difficult or else everyone should be landing them quad lutz / triple toe with such ease like the way Vincent does it. Can your favorite skater/s do it? Patrick, Javi and even Hanyu CAN'T even do it when many refers to them as the standard.

Your favorite skaters do crossovers too. In fact, count it next time. They ALL do! Facial expression, hand movement, tricky moves, drama, standing, acting, flailing - it works for choreography. Sometimes they're flat out cheasy, boring and corny. But not everyone can mesmerize you or deliver Kwan-like moments every time and blow the roof of the building. Oh, the energy when that happens! Goosebumps!!!

So more crossovers are must have if you want to gain higher TES in order to win playing by the book so to speak. And FEW have delivered moments of excellence with TES & PCS.

That's not fair! -10 for Vincent, -5 for Aliev. Can we negotiate here? If you knock down 10 for one, why not 10 for the other guy also. If 5 is the number, then let's give it to both of them. At least we're consistent and not bias against the other.

But go ahead if that pleases you...

PLEASE! Figure skating is made up of crossovers and can't do a program without it. Difficult jumps like quad needs speed leading up to the take off, hence, lots of crossovers to create momentum. And that's difficult or else everyone should be landing them quad lutz / triple toe with such ease like the way Vincent does it. Can your favorite skater/s do it? Patrick, Javi and even Hanyu CAN'T even do it when many refers to them as the standard.

Your favorite skaters do crossovers too. In fact, count it next time. They ALL do! Facial expression, hand movement, tricky moves, drama, standing, acting, flailing - it works for choreography. Sometimes they're flat out cheasy, boring and corny. But not everyone can mesmerize you or deliver Kwan-like moments every time and blow the roof of the building. Oh, the energy when that happens! Goosebumps!!!

So more crossovers are must have if you want to gain higher TES in order to win playing by the book so to speak. And FEW have delivered moments of excellence with TES & PCS.

...I mean it was a rhetorical point as to who I believe has better overall skating, with regards to PCS.

Globetrotter

Medalist
uh... unless you are one of those who claims American is not really speaking English, then you are probably right.

I hope the skaters get to enjoy it with the little time they have there. Congrats Kaori. Hope you enjoy Din Tai Fung :)

Just goes to show that Chinese is essentially a written language while there are many ways of speaking it. The Min dialects are fascinatingly varied and even within Taiwan itself, I find it easier to understand the earthier form used in Southern Taiwan rather than what people speak in the North. I can’t speak Hakka unfortunately. My own mother tongue is another Min dialect variant but it is probably easier for me to understand Taiwanese style Hokkien than they can understand what we speak at home.

Interestingly, the xiao long bao originated from Shanghai but really, no one makes them like in Taiwan although I have personal preferences for those from another place other than Dingtaifung. They are awesome creations that I can down an entire steam basket of!

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Just finished watching the top 3. Holy. Cow. Mai and Kaori looked as shocked at Satoko's score and placement as I was. I hope she can regroup and skate well next month. She brings a level of detail, polish, and interpretation that's only rivaled by Carolina at the moment.

I love love love how smooth and fluid Mai's skating is. Some of the softest jump landings in the business too. I really liked her programs this season, but I hope she works with a different choreographer next season. Someone who can help her take her presentation skills to the next level.

Kaori's consistency since Skate America has been awesome. (I still can't stand the miming and awkward arm choreography in this program though.) Hope this win gives her momentum for the Olympics.

The friendship between Mai and Kaori is so sweet. Kudos to their coach!

Logirl

On the Ice
I enjoy all the ladies skating. I am very surprised by how much I enjoy Zag skating. It is not just jumps for me. Her spins are very good and picks up so much speed in the spins and I love her footwork. It is speedy and inticate and alot of one footwork. It seemed to me that her footwork was better than Caroline. So it is more than jumps and transitions for me.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Unfortunately this is this is the time when skaters are ironically punished for striving and possessing good technique so they're sacrificed.

Tell that to Karen Chen and Liza Tuks. I admit that it was only very recently that I realize CaroK has that clean, very little pre-rotation technique and she rarely < unless she messes up or headcased. But the current GOE system seems to reward jumps with tricks attached (tanos, rippons, steps) rather than the more fundamental aspect of the jump (rotation, height, distance, flow, clean take offs).

Logirl

On the Ice
In my opinion transition should be rewarded. It is much easier to do a jump by completely setting up for it than to do steps and spread eagles into it.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I enjoy all the ladies skating. I am very surprised by how much I enjoy Zag skating. It is not just jumps for me. Her spins are very good and picks up so much speed in the spins and I love her footwork. It is speedy and inticate and alot of one footwork. It seemed to me that her footwork was better than Caroline. So it is more than jumps and transitions for me.

Lol. Watch carefully again. Will recommend we all watch the StSq of Satoko’s Sayuri SP and Madam Butterfly LP and also CaroK’s SP. They really are the best this season in terms of glide, smoothness, deep edges and timing to enhance the music.

Logirl

On the Ice
I watched Caro short and I saw a lot more one foot inticate footwork by Zag than Caro program.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It was her short program which got her into trouble throughout this season. Mihara admitted that she's not good at skating "Libertango" but she refused to change the short program because she wants to diversify her repertoire. The choreography of tango made it difficult for her to execute clean jumps. On the contrary, "Gabriel's Oboe" for her free program is just right for her and her free program score was over 140, which was the first time in this season.

I don't think her LP is so great, there are nice moments when she's on but she didn't ever captured the full emotion of it. But then nobody besides Matt Savoie has skated to "The Mission" (Gabriels Oboe) with real depth.

Her SP was definitely worse though. I hope she did learn something from it and can grow next season, because many of the moves were still quite amateur and I'm not at all convinced she has learned to do something more fiery or sexy or darker yet.

zebobes

Final Flight
But most dialects can't be written, or if it did, it would look really odd. I just find all these naming and labelling misleading, especially when translated into English (Some info out there are propaganda in nature - hence all these weird Wiki information about 'Taiwanese'. Do we really live in the age of whoever controls Wiki wins?) makes it really confusing for the west to grasp how things are, Things do not help when Taiwan itself can't seem to agree among themselves and have wildly passionate diversifying views on its own identity between north and south, relationship with Communist China, the nature of independence while being denied its own existence internationally. (Anyway... this is my last post on this matter. Sorry for going OT)

And since this event was held in "Chinese Taipei", we could say they were speaking in Taipeinese...

Just kidding. I'm going to ignore the debate on Taiwanese, and just say, I'm excited to see how after three consecutive years of Figure Skating competitions here, the audience is growing and becoming more knowledgable.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Satoko only one point higher in PCS than Mai and Kaori? Either they were over-scored or she was under-scored. I like Mai but her long program didn't do it for me. I thought she just skated through without much in the way ofperformance or interpretation. Kaori's Russian-style miming didn't do it for me, either. I think Kaori should have PCS around 66--averaging 8+ and Mai should probably be around 63, just under average 8. Satoko should be over 70, preferably at 72, averaging 9.