2018 US Championships Sr. Pairs FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Pairs FS

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Alexa and Chris’ story. I love their twist.

I love Tarah and Danny’s story. I love their strength.

I love Deanna and Nate’s story. I love their elegance.

I could give a rat’s patootie what International judges would do or wouldn’t do. I could give an even tinier rat’s patootie about challenging for medals. I skip those posts.

I :luv17: our pairs.

I second this post. May we be onward and upward in pairs. Hold your heads high folks, our top group did alright.

synteis

Medalist
That quad throw is the truth.

Has anyone noticed that the pairs in the US have the lowest throws and such...except for the top pair and maybe 2 others. The height in throws is really important on the international stage.

Yeah and Savchenko/Massot have a gorgeous and very high one.

Nice skating by pairs watched on Nbc.

Congratulations to the Knierims, Kayne & O'Shea; Stellato & Bartholomay-- great job .

great job all teams.

good luck on being name to 4cc, worlds, jr worlds, & Olympics.

Did well all teams.

bobbob

Medalist
Alexa and Chris were by far the best team today! they have SBS issues still, but they are not alone internationally with that issue. They have great twists and throws, which is the hallmark of a strong pairs team.

reneerose

Final Flight
I wish there were 3 slots for pairs at the Olympics, they all deserve to go! I wish Danny and Tarah were tied with Chris and Alexa. Congrats to all! :luv17:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
There are still two spots for Worlds, right? I guess it will be the Knierims and Kayne/O'Shea. I can't see anyone else being picked over K/O for that.

gold12345

Medalist
Alexa and Chris were by far the best team today! they have SBS issues still, but they are not alone internationally with that issue. They have great twists and throws, which is the hallmark of a strong pairs team.

I'm glad they were rewarded for being gutsy and going for the quad twist, even though the catch was rough. The size of the quad is even bigger than ones they were doing in 2015 & 2016, which is promising. I don't think anyone else in the world has a bigger one. In video, it looks like they are capable of catching it completely cleanly, and a 4Tw3 should help them at the Olympics. Looking at their score, I would say Stellato/Bartholomay were also nicely rewarded for trying a quad element even if it resulted in a fall.

S/K likely don't normally catch a twist that way, and I wouldn't be surprised if it affected some of their subsequent elements, especially under this pressure with them as heavy favorites. They need to calm down with the jumps and get Chris back to 100% after that knee injury because they actually can both do 2 triples. But the throws were definitely the best in the competition.

reneerose

Final Flight
There are still two spots for Worlds, right? I guess it will be the Knierims and Kayne/O'Shea. I can't see anyone else being picked over K/O for that.
Kayne and O'Shea really should be picked for Worlds! They are the rare couple that hit the SBS jumps! Most of the time :laugh:

Button's Niece

On the Ice
What did she say/ask?
Asked a sobbing Alexa what it felt like, then, after Alexa choked out a few words that were obviously all she could manage, Andrea asked a follow-up that seemed intended for Alexa (prompting me to yell at my TV "Leave her the #$%% alone!"); fortunately, Chris stepped in and answered.

Last edited:

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Asked a sobbing Alexa what it felt like, then, after Alexa choked out a few words that were obviously all she could manage, Andrea asked a follow-up that seemed intended for Alexa (prompting me to yell at my TV "Leave her the #$%% alone!"); fortunately, Chris stepped in and answered.

So basically your typical Andrea Joyce interview then :rolleye:

I almost think she gets some sort of demonic joy out of trying to make someone even more upset then they already are by picking at the scab and trying to rip it off. She brings a whole new meaning to "kicking them while their down" :unsure:

I almost think she gets some sort of demonic joy out of trying to make someone even more upset then they already are by picking at the scab and trying to rip it off. She brings a whole new meaning to "kicking them while their down" :unsure:

In this case, though, Andrea was kicking them while they were up. Alexa was overcome by the intensity of her emotions having just won the event and a trip to the Olympics. Andrea Joyce was trying to to coax something like, "I'm so happy! This was a great competition for us!" out of Alexa. But Alexa was not able to choke out anything but, "God is good."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really happy with the results. I'm especially happy for Ashley Cain :luv17: and Timothy Leduc. They pulled up to winning the pewter medal, from being 8th after the SP. Well done!:hap10:

I adore their Flapper Era FS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Peb85Orb70 Ashley has the Look.

ETA: And I'm beyond thrilled for Alexa and Chris, Tarah and Danny, and Deanna and Nate.

meem

On the Ice
I guess I'm the killjoy here as I was hoping Kayne/O'Shea would win today. I'm sick of the Knierems going to one international comp after another and either one or the other of them splatting on the s/b/s jumps. After all these years? Why focus on other elements when they haven't even mastered the synchronized s/b/s jumps, the truly hardest part of pairs skating? You just don't move on to quad throw twists until you've mastered those synchronized jumps, IMO, because that's what pairs is initially all about...two skating as one. For all the folks who are tired of Ashley underrotating, just count me as one who's extremely tired of these two who can't successfully jump alongside each other.