2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 US nats Experiences & Practice Reports

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Today was a day off. My friend Bryan, who may just be one of the best people on the planet, took me to the Frisco Maritime Museum where we toured my 4th sub of this year and the only operational liberty ship from WWII. (If you saw TITANIC" you saw its engine room. It crossed the channel 11 times during the Normandy Invasion. Ate at fisherman's warf. Bryan and I are pilots and mechanics so those poor docents had to put up with our relentless questions. ;) tomorrow I UBER over to the Solar where many types of skating activities are going on, I am told. Will try and stay awake for Jr. Ladies SHT. BTW, at least one of my friends here badgered the ticket window into giving her real tickets.!!!

Sounds like you're havin' a great time already Chris! How is the weather?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will repeat here what I said elsewhere. Friends at Solar said today they are still selling tickets to public despite standing room only at times. Cold in rink, no leg room, bring something to Mark your seat, good restaurant upstairs with heat and good snack bar. I go over there tomorrow.

b-man

Final Flight
I remember from 2012, the Sharks tank, now Solar, was one of the coldest rinks for Nationals, plus the one rink they had was obscured with the dreaded hockey glass, very frustrating for photographers. I will get in Monday evening, staying in Sunnyvale, likely spend Tuesday at Solar. See you there.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just went outside. You can see your breath but it was sunny today. People wearing coats downtown Frisco and in San Jose.

A coat. Wow. And we're on like day 78498724 of subfreezing temps here in the Big Apple.

Sigh. It sucks to be poor.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Hi to all of you who attended practice - would love to get your thoughts! Some things I’m curious about:

TSL is reporting that Vincent did a 5-quad FS in practice today. Did anyone see him?

There are also reports on Twitter that Bradie is landing all her jumps, and mixed reports on Karen - one person said she did really well, another reported errors.

Would love to hear your impressions!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am outside where it is warm! Fendis not attending second practice. Karen Chen looked good. Is it wrong to lust after a skater's mom? LOL!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
anyone been in the SAP yet? How cold is it? trying to decide what to pack. I head to the airport tomorrow (okay so I head to the city the airport is in tomorrow, don't fly out until Tuesday morning)

iceskater10

On the Ice
Just watched a mixed practice, Bradie looks great!!!! Vincent did some really good quads. Karen looked nervous.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
anyone been in the SAP yet? How cold is it? trying to decide what to pack. I head to the airport tomorrow (okay so I head to the city the airport is in tomorrow, don't fly out until Tuesday morning)

We will be in tomorrow. At noon. Layer layer layer as we never know when they turn the heat on but I would guess Tuesday for comps. Solar is very cold but a short $6 Uber ride away. My 10 skating buds and I would go outside to warm up , sit on benches in the sun, and watch skaters go in and out. We are given wrist bands so I'm and out is easy. Sat on a bench with Angelina Krylova but she was busy on her phone so didn't have the nerve to talk with her. LOL!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I remember from 2012, the Sharks tank, now Solar, was one of the coldest rinks for Nationals, plus the one rink they had was obscured with the dreaded hockey glass, very frustrating for photographers. I will get in Monday evening, staying in Sunnyvale, likely spend Tuesday at Solar. See you there.

I believe the only chance we will have to see the ladies in the SAP center practice (not just warm up) is Monday? You can see them at Solar 2 if you are willing to throw Jr pairs under the bus. Bring warm clothes and a seat cushio n in case you have to sit in bleachers.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
If u have a car then you can make hard choices about what to see. Just remember there is no guarantee that any skater will show for any practice and the big guns have been buying ice time when THEY want to practice here.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just watched a mixed practice, Bradie looks great!!!! Vincent did some really good quads. Karen looked nervous.

Wait, what? There was Senior men's practice today? Did you see Max? And Jason?

FSLover17

On the Ice
According to TSL and posters in other threads, Karen had a good LP practice with a few mistakes: a doubled salchow, a fall on the final double axel and an underrotation on the latter jump of 3Lz-3T :)

LKR

Rinkside
Wait, what? There was Senior men's practice today? Did you see Max? And Jason?
Official men's practices don't begin until Jan 2, so presumably Max and Jason have not yet arrived. No reports about them so far.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No Max or Jason sightings yet. I won't be over at the Solar today. Just the SAP. Last easy day. No easy days after today!