2022-23 Injuries and ills | Golden Skate

2022-23 Injuries and ills

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Thinking about Gabby Daleman's injury, @surimi 's remark about not knowing this, some other people also remarking on this, I am opening up this thread. Of course, many fans will put such information elsewhere (it's not a secret) but most people don't scroll down every fanfest to find out information. So, if you know about a skater with injuries or a certain illness please post it here in this central place. I hope the thread does not get too big because that would mean many skaters are injured!

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Thanks, Ladyjane! My favorite part of that thread was the get well wishes.
If retired skaters can be posted here, then I just saw on Twitter that Carolina Kostner has a fresh injury involving broken jaw. No idea what happened, sounds like a bad fall on the ice to me, but glad she's feeling better: https://twitter.com/msKOSTNER/status/1567848306893537280
Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Amei

Record Breaker
  • Shcherbakova had knee surgery on an old injury - not seen anything regarding recovery time on this
  • Kostornaia had hip surgery - saw 1 article say it was a 6 month recovery so if true that would end her season
  • Mark Lukin cut his leg the other day and had surgery, recovery will take a month

Amei

Record Breaker
I wish all a speedy recovery, and I hope the one about Alena is not true and if it is, it will be somewhat shorter than half a year!

European champion Alena Kostornaya told how long it will take to recover after hip surgery.

"I'm being discharged tomorrow. But soon, in three weeks, I will lie back for rehabilitation.

In general, the recovery will take about six months," Kostornaya said.

Article Link

Amei

Record Breaker
Rika news doesn't sound promising from Brian. The way it sounds even if she somehow still competes - she's still injured

"Alas, Rika is still battling the injury. She has a difficult case - a fracture of the right ankle. That is, this is not even a stress fracture – but a real one. And she's been struggling with it for over a year now. It gets better and worse; she still performs in the show - without jumping, just skating, money somehow needs to be earned. But the leg is under constant load. In a good way, she needs a cast, complete rest for a couple of months, so that everything finally heals.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Injuries just frighten me. I worry about Gracie working so hard to get her jumps back, that she'll have a freak fall. I remember when Alena won Europeans, I thought she'd be the next big thing. She seemed to disappear soon after.
Momentum stopped as 2020 Worlds was cancelled due to C19. :frown: also the coaching changes and injuries, I hope Aliona is able to heal fully!
I read though that she is aiming to take part at nationals, she'll have to compete in the russian cup series to qualify...

Isn't Rika scheduled for Japan Open next month? Skating on a fractured leg? I am so worried for her!

surimi

Record Breaker
Isn't Rika scheduled for Japan Open next month? Skating on a fractured leg? I am so worried for her!

Even worse, she's entered in Chubu regionals in less than 14 days, to have a chance at competing at Nationals. I wish she could take a couple of months off to heal fully. :( It's got to be a hard choice for her, either she does the best for her health, or she earns money in shows to be Brian's student and stay in Canada. And the same goes for the season, if she takes some time off, she loses a chance to qualify to Nationals, and may lose a chance to be sent abroad to earn a new SB. Poor Rika, wishing her a full recovery.

Amei

Record Breaker
Poor Rika 😭😭😭

What would happen if she took a year off when no coaching, no comps, nothing?

Would it be very hard to work to get back on the team? I don't see how this is tenable judging by what small snippets we're reading.

It seems like she's not particularly interested in more time off or at least feels she cannot take more time off. Brian said she's not allowing the injury to get fully healed, so it seems like she'll just be in a perpetual state of injured and its just a question of is it bothering her to the extent she can compete or not. Based on the full interview with Brian, she seems to not even be fully in Toronto but keeps an apartment there, Toronto is an expensive city; she's having to skate on an injured leg to earn money....this sounds harsh but it seems really stupid to still be getting coached by Brian, she was very successful being coached in Japan. It sounds like she's not fully there and she's not healthy so is she really even getting benefits of the investment (both financial and physical) she's putting into being his skater?

surimi

Record Breaker
this sounds harsh but it seems really stupid to still be getting coached by Brian, she was very successful being coached in Japan. It sounds like she's not fully there and she's not healthy so is she really even getting benefits of the investment (both financial and physical) she's putting into being his skater?

Maybe she's tired of switching coaches by now. Do we know when the injury happened? I would not be surprised to learn that it was during her time with Hamada. There must be a reason why female skaters achieve success with her and then leave. Satoko, Rika, now Mana. Maybe the price they pay is getting injured. That's pure speculation, but, Hamada has a certain reputation, and I'd definitely not send a skater with an ongoing injury back to her, especially since Rika herself left her and doesn't seem inclined to return. There aren't IMO enough top class coaches for skaters like Rika in Japan, who don't already train Rika's rivals.

Amei

Record Breaker
Maybe she's tired of switching coaches by now. Do we know when the injury happened? I would not be surprised to learn that it was during her time with Hamada. There must be a reason why female skaters achieve success with her and then leave. Satoko, Rika, now Mana. Maybe the price they pay is getting injured. That's pure speculation, but, Hamada has a certain reputation, and I'd definitely not send a skater with an ongoing injury back to her, especially since Rika herself left her and doesn't seem inclined to return. There aren't IMO enough top class coaches for skaters like Rika in Japan, who don't already train Rika's rivals.
Based on this dated December 2021 it said she was diagnosed "last July"...now maybe someone who follows her more closely like on social or something can clarify if last July means July 2021 or July 2020, I could read it both ways. Article

Regarding coaching, I can understand not wanting to switch again but I question whether the expense both financially and physically is worth it. And while yes other coaches in Japan have her rivals/competitors, we've seen plenty of instances of competitors training together.