2022 Skate Canada Entries | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2022 Skate Canada Entries

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Personally, as someone travelling across the country to see the event live, I am super-happy they have a full roster, but I would have preferred to see Shiryaeva given the host spot, impossible or not.
well.. for this one, it's not Skate Canada who is preventing Shiryaeva to compete... but Russian Fed... there is no need to grant her a release because she's never competed internationally yet they insist on this... not sure how long it will take...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
well.. for this one, it's not Skate Canada who is preventing Shiryaeva to compete... but Russian Fed... there is no need to grant her a release because she's never competed internationally yet they insist on this... not sure how long it will take...
I think it’s actually Skate Canada who is being overly triple cautious. They could have done it without asking b/c Shiryaeva doesn’t need release. But, hey, hopefully she is cleared for 4CC maybe, since 4CC doesn’t ask for tech mins.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think it’s actually Skate Canada who is being overly triple cautious. They could have done it without asking b/c Shiryaeva doesn’t need release. But, hey, hopefully she is cleared for 4CC maybe, since 4CC doesn’t ask for tech mins.
4cc does ask for tech mins

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well then, sucks to be her.
Same as for Europeans:

ISU European, ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2023:
SP/RD FS/FD
MEN 28.00 46.00
WOMEN 25.00 42.00 (previously 23 /40)
PAIR SKATING 25.00 42.00
ICE DANCE 28.00 45.00 (previously 28 / 44)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well then, sucks to be her.
there are some challengers right before 4CC...

And to get back to Skate Canada, I don't blame them to "play the game Russia wants to play here" ... because they have to have long term vision... if they unilaterally allowed her to compete (because she should be allowed!) then, Russia would be pissed off... and may not grant future releases easily when needed... so that's in play too.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
there are some challengers right before 4CC...

And to get back to Skate Canada, I don't blame them to "play the game Russia wants to play here" ... because they have to have long term vision... if they unilaterally allowed her to compete (because she should be allowed!) then, Russia would be pissed off... and may not grant future releases easily when needed... so that's in play too.
In a few months, any fed can have any Russian skater without the need for release.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But, I have to say that I have seen the federation being extremely protective with the younger athletes.
I think this protective tendency with the Canadian ladies goes back further to the 1980s and Tracey Wainman.

Last edited:

Reverie

On the Ice
I'd like to make this post to make sure my point of view is clear, especially for those who may not have read the whole thread.

As a Canadian fan, I am simply disappointed that two of the host spots have been given to non-Canadian skaters (after the initially selected Canadian skaters w/d), while there are many aspiring skaters out there who will be looking at SCI on their livestream instead of having a chance to skate in a competition.

I hope it is not too demanding to hope that Skate Canada will readjust their policy in GP assignments in the future.

Everything else mentioned in this thread may be interesting but is definitely secondary.
I agree...ironically while some felt Kaiya was worthy of being considered for the SCI host spot, instead she will be skating Sectionals in Alberta the same time as SCI competition...the other end of the spectrum.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree...ironically while some felt Kaiya was worthy of being considered for the SCI host spot, instead she will be skating Sectionals in Alberta the same time as SCI competition...the other end of the spectrum.
OMG... this is even worse than I thought...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think this protective tendency with the Canadian ladies goes back further to the 1980s and Tracey Wainman.

I started following skating in 1988... i wouldn't be surprised if this tendency went back even earlier...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PENG / JIN are out of their two events (TDF and FIN). The French aren't going to replace them.

The only Chinese participants in the GP now are WANG/ LIU (NHK and FIN), and they train in Montreal.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yup... another aggravating element... gosh those memories are vivid.. Young Osmond shocks the figure skating world and wins Skate Canada... she had been given a host spot... she didn't have a second spot... all season, we watched skaters withdraw and be replaced by someone else... why? Osmond was a threat to earn a GP final spot... And people wonder why some Canadian fans are at times upset when our skaters are not given opportunities... :)
That was fresh of the heals of winning Nebelhorn that year, defeated a previous WJ & future OG medalist in Adelina Sotnikova.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the 2012 GP season, there were 5 vacancies for women. Four of those were in France, and one in Japan. There had been substitutes for the China event, but they had all been chosen before SC.

As it turned out, even if Osmond had been given one of the five vacancies, she still might not have made it to the Final. Her total score at Skate Canada was 176.45.

At TEB (the French event) the medal winners were Ashley Wagner (190.63), Liza Tuktamysheva (179.62) and Julia Lipnitskaia (179.31). At NHK, the top scorers were Mao Asada (185.27), Akiko Suzuki (185.22) and Mirai Nagasu (176.68).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In the 2012 GP season, there were 5 vacancies for women. Four of those were in France, and one in Japan. There had been substitutes for the China event, but they had all been chosen before SC.

As it turned out, even if Osmond had been given one of the five vacancies, she still might not have made it to the Final. Her total score at Skate Canada was 176.45.

At TEB (the French event) the medal winners were Ashley Wagner (190.63), Liza Tuktamysheva (179.62) and Julia Lipnitskaia (179.31). At NHK, the top scorers were Mao Asada (185.27), Akiko Suzuki (185.22) and Mirai Nagasu (176.68).
the point is not whether or not she would have repeated her SCI finish... The point is that she was not given the opportunity.