2023 Cup of China Entries | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Entries

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Oh, that's a pity. :[ Wishing Mai a quick and full recovery! 🌻

Afterthought, it's probably too late to add Rino in Mai's place... but given her great SC outing, it would be cool if that was possible.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The only encouraging news is that if Mai waited that long, it is because she was hoping to be ready in time... at least that's what I hope it is. Pulling out this late is definitely removing a spot. Who would have visas for China handy at this point? Too much short notice.

Ziotic

Medalist
The only encouraging news is that if Mai waited that long, it is because she was hoping to be ready in time... at least that's what I hope it is. Pulling out this late is definitely removing a spot. Who would have visas for China handy at this point? Too much short notice.
Only those anticipating GPF slots!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just looked who participated at Shanghai trophy... and no luck... It was Tennel (out) Haein (already has her events) Petrokina (already has her events including China) Pinzaronne (already has NHK) and two Chinese skaters.

Ivana

On the Ice
At the moment one women's and one ice dance spot free. Hardly a small event... Too bad Mai's withdrawal came in so late, could have been second spot for Rino although knowing the Chinese they'd have probably picked the weakest lady on the replacement list...

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Too bad Mai's withdrawal came in so late, could have been second spot for Rino although knowing the Chinese they'd have probably picked the weakest lady on the replacement list...
Yup, that's a real shame they decided so late. I hear it takes 4 days to sort out visa paperwork for China. Mai's injury was not a last minute one, but has been dragging on for a good while. She's among the top skaters in the WS list, so it's not like she desperately needed to compete in CoC to get points, or to get into GPF. If her team and JSF had announced the WD just 2-3 days earlier, another skater could have been chosen. As it is, a spot will be left unused, and a skater will be denied an opportunity. I get that Mai brings in crowds, that the Chinese organising team and JSF wanted her to compete if possible, and that Mai herself likely didn't want to let down her Fed and fans... but I wonder what role some two days play in recovery from an injury, and it's very disappointing for me that the announcement came in so late that noone could be picked.

midori green

On the Ice
Yup, that's a real shame they decided so late. I hear it takes 4 days to sort out visa paperwork for China. Mai's injury was not a last minute one, but has been dragging on for a good while. She's among the top skaters in the WS list, so it's not like she desperately needed to compete in CoC to get points, or to get into GPF. If her team and JSF had announced the WD just 2-3 days earlier, another skater could have been chosen. As it is, a spot will be left unused, and a skater will be denied an opportunity. I get that Mai brings in crowds, that the Chinese organising team and JSF wanted her to compete if possible, and that Mai herself likely didn't want to let down her Fed and fans... but I wonder what role some two days play in recovery from an injury, and it's very disappointing for me that the announcement came in so late that noone could be picked.
Each host fed should make their own substitution list (maybe they do). Would it be possible to get visas for the top people on those lists "just in case"? It seems sad to leave empty spots, but I get we're talking government procedures and not just skating fed wishes.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Each host fed should make their own substitution list (maybe they do). Would it be possible to get visas for the top people on those lists "just in case"? It seems sad to leave empty spots, but I get we're talking government procedures and not just skating fed wishes.
I am no expert but I don't think visas can be delivered without a proof of travel. Also, they are sometimes quite expensive.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mai Mihara (JPN) removed from the roster. :(
I was wondering why so few people chose her on picks. Now I am informed And sad. Mai is one of my favorite skaters and I was really looking forward to seeing her. And this means no GP final (if she had done well enough and PLEASE no snarky comments or I will despise you).

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is going on with all the WD and injuries this year? It seems like a lot.