2023 GP Espoo Entries | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023 GP Espoo Entries

Ivana

On the Ice
Oh no :(. I suspected EU visa problems for Litvintsev when he withdrew from Volvo Open. He needs to get a training base outside of Russia if he wants any kind of international career. The visa issue won't get better anytime soon.
He has Azerbaijani passport, so that should not be an issue. There are several skaters who have their training base in Russia and have no issue entering EU (Gubanova, Urushadze, Shaidorov, just to name few). I do wonder if the WD is injury related.

Sad to see late WD's as it means they will likely not be replaced anymore.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
but why would there be visa issues? presumably, he's applying for the visa in Azerbaijan, as an Azerbaijani citizen, not Russian.
Not that many EU countries have embassies or consulates in Azerbaijan. Visa applications probably used to work via the embassies in Russia, but not anymore. Also, from his interviews it's not like Litvintsev travels to Azerbaijan on a regular basis. He basically said he's been there once to pick up his passport.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Gubanova, Urushadze, Shaidorov, just to name few
Gubanova, Urushadze and Egadze are Georgian citizens, they don't need a visa to travel to EU. Shaidorov complains about the difficult visa procedures all the time.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Shaidorov is not a Russian citizen that I know of. He was born in Kazakhstan (but yes, he did complain about visa issues in the past, such as in the case of the 2022 Worlds in France).
Yes, Shaidorov is Kazakhstani. It has nothing to do with whether you are a Russian citizen or not, if there is no appropriate embassy in your country and you have to go through an embassy/consulate in Russia instead you are having a hard time now getting a EU visa.
But let's not derail this thread further with how international travel works these days.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Is there anybody living or training in our neighbours or Europe who would get in time, has no two or any spots, is eligible and not going to compete else where? Nikita S.?

Ivana

On the Ice
Is there anybody living or training in our neighbours or Europe who would get in time, has no two or any spots, is eligible and not going to compete else where? Nikita S.?
Guarino Sabate is in the top 10 replacement list and located in Europe as well.

ETA: Ahh nevermind...he is at NRW Trophy so probably not an option...so is Starostin btw....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sad to see late WD's as it means they will likely not be replaced anymore.
I sincerely hope that they will fill these spots. Why would these skaters withdraw at the last minute like this ??? If it's visa problems, I can understand but I doubt that's the case of Cha. I like Cha a lot but yeah.... not happy about these late withdrawals... I hope there is a good reason for him to w/d so late.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I am sure Finland's fed is working to find out if they can get someone from the replacement list. If there are no other plans and skater and the team can get tickets for travelling, I will accept anybody. I am also just selfish by wishing it will be full field and I accept anyone, just getting enough to watch. I decided not to speculate no more, just must wait and see it there are replacements.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I am sure Finland's fed is working to find out if they can get someone from the replacement list. If there are no other plans and skater and the team can get tickets for travelling, I will accept anybody. I am also just selfish by wishing it will be full field and I accept anyone, just getting enough to watch. I decided not to speculate no more, just must wait and see it there are replacements.
for me, it's not speculation.. it's wishes, prayers, hopes that YOU and all Finland get to see my gorgeous son ;)

Last edited:

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Would it be possible for Ivan Shmuratko to get a spot this late? I'm really gonna miss seeing Junhwan... :(

Edit: Shmuratko is still on the entry list for Warsaw Cup, while Samoilov just withdrew from the same event...šŸ¤”

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Poaching skaters from other events does not create more skating though.. of course as long as the spots are filled . But yeah... I feel I will be disappointed

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
My preference would be Starostin and Orzel, that combination sounds good. šŸ¤ž that they fill at least one of the two spots.

Crowdproud

On the Ice
Poaching skaters from other events does not create more skating though.. of course as long as the spots are filled . But yeah... I feel I will be disappointed
It seems that for the lower ranked skaters it does not make much sense to switch from a Challenger to a GP -- if the goal is a medal or at least world ranking points. Someone like Shmuratko is almost guaranteed to be at the bottom of the pile at a GP, while he could get decent placement at a Challenger/other event.

Or do other considerations apply?

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It seems that for the lower ranked skaters it does not make much sense to switch from a Challenger to a GP -- if the goal is a medal or at least world ranking points. Someone like Shmuratko is almost guaranteed to be at the bottom of the pile at a GP, while he could get decent placement at a Challenger/other event.

Or do other considerations apply?
I think getting a GP has a certain prestige, so unless there is a great chance to podium at the Challenger, I'd pick the GP slot.