2023-24 Junior Pairs

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Georgia:
  • JGP – 1 entry in 3 events (3 spots)
  • Junior Worlds – 1 entry
  • Anastasiia METELKINA / Luka BERULAVA (new)
Hard to believe they are still junior age-eligible, as both have been competing senior for the past few seasons with their former partners. As a new partnership, they received no invites to Grand Prix events, so are opting to skate JGP during the fall, where they will be challenging for medals.
OMG...

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Update:
The first photos from the DEU monitoring have been uploaded, and Löwenherz/Löwenherz and Steblyanka/Gneidig are there. No other pairs so far, but they might attend the second monitoring in August for the later JGP assignments.
Last season none of the pairs attended the first monitoring, but they were still assigned to all JGPs with pairs despite the entry deadlines being before the second monitoring. Salatzki/Röseler were even assigned without being at either monitoring.

Side note, it seems like Löwenherz/Löwenherz are keeping their Short.
Second update:
Ackermann/Harms are assigned to JGP Austria and JGP Hungary (provisionally for now), so it seems they were indeed granted the exception to compete despite Tobija aging out.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
A couple of years ago, the ISU did a Zoom/video on pairs development led by Hotarek in Italy and Lambiel in Champery. I went back to check whether the Swiss girl trying out pairs was either Pazienza or Rothenbuhler. She was neither of these two, but it was evident from the video that Lambiel was keen on getting pairs skating going in Switzerland. Good to add a couple more new countries to the list! A list which is now in the neighbourhood of 40 pairs from 20 countries.

The above-mentioned video is well worth a viewing if you have an interest in pairs development.

Skategods, if you're listening, four warm-up groups at each of the JGPs, would that be too much to ask? And 20 pairs at Junior Worlds?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A couple of years ago, the ISU did a Zoom/video on pairs development led by Hotarek in Italy and Lambiel in Champery. I went back to check whether the Swiss girl trying out pairs was either Pazienza or Rothenbuhler. She was neither of these two, but it was evident from the video that Lambiel was keen on getting pairs skating going in Switzerland. Good to add a couple more new countries to the list! A list which is now in the neighbourhood of 40 pairs from 20 countries.

The above-mentioned video is well worth a viewing if you have an interest in pairs development.

Skategods, if you're listening, four warm-up groups at each of the JGPs, would that be too much to ask? And 20 pairs at Junior Worlds?
Wow, there would be cutoffs for the FP!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Four might be a little too much for all four JGPs, but I think 3 for two and 4 for the other two might be realistic. (Last season we had two JGPs with two and two with three warm-up groups.)

And 20 pairs at Jr Worlds would be huge, that would be the largest pairs field since 2012 (24 pairs), and the removal of the preliminary round! (And without the three Russian pairs it would be even more of a huge accomplishment and promising sign for (junior) pairs).

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Wow, there would be cutoffs for the FP!
Wouldn't all 20 qualify for the FP, like at senior worlds?

While I'm imploring the SkateGods, please let there be at least five couples from three countries in junior pairs at John Nicks, so that event counts for World Standing points. Are there any junior pairs not from USA or Canada that train in North America?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Wouldn't all 20 qualify for the FP, like at senior worlds?

While I'm imploring the SkateGods, please let there be at least five couples from three countries in junior pairs at John Nicks, so that event counts for World Standing points. Are there any junior pairs not from USA or Canada that train in North America?
The Israeli team trains in New Jersey, but I don't know of any other junior pairs team (outside of the US and Canadian teams) that has their main training base in North America.

However, I think the bigger issue is the date of the John Nicks Pairs Challenge. It's a week after JGP Linz and on the same weekend as JGP Istanbul, both of which have pairs competitions, so many teams will just not be able to compete here due to scheduling conflicts.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Pairs entries for ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2023:

Bouquets to China for using both of their spots, brickbats to Canada and USA for only sending one team each.

Germany becomes the first country to make use of the age extension (Harms missed the previous age cutoff by eight days).

Fewer teams than I would have liked, but 8/10 are new to the JGP, so welcome and lets see what you can do!

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Pairs entries for ISU JGP Cup of Austria 2023:

Bouquets to China for using both of their spots, brickbats to Canada and USA for only sending one team each.

Germany becomes the first country to make use of the age extension (Harms missed the previous age cutoff by eight days).

Fewer teams than I would have liked, but 8/10 are new to the JGP, so welcome and lets see what you can do!
I'm so disappointed in the US and Canada, they have the teams to send them out and are not doing it :palmf:

Based on previous seasons, the later two JGPs tend to attract more pairs than the earlier two (particularly the very last JGP with pairs), but I was still hoping for a few more entries here, at least that the countries with multiple entries and a larger number of junior pairs would fill their entries.

Last edited:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Pairs entries for JGP Istanbul 2023:

One team less than at JGP Istanbul, and "just" five out of nine teams that are new to the JGP (And both Luka Berulava and Kieran Thrasher have done the JGP with their former partners, but their new partners have not done any JGPs so far), BUT no repeat teams yet, so I'm expecting most of the 19 teams in the first two JGPs to get another assignment (except for those who can't because their country only has three entries), and there are some notable teams still missing like Sierova/Khobta.

(By the way, after two JGP events last season, there were 13 pairs on the JGP, with one having already had two assignments)

Last edited:

TeamGubanova

On the Ice
We
Pairs entries for JGP Istanbul 2023:

One team less than at JGP Istanbul, and "just" five out of nine teams that are new to the JGP (And both Luka Berulava and Kieran Thrasher have done the JGP with their former partners, but their new partners have not done any JGPs so far), BUT no repeat teams yet, so I'm expecting most of the 19 teams in the first two JGPs to get another assignment (except for those who can't because their country only has three entries), and there are some notable teams still missing like Sierova/Khobta.

(By the way, after two JGP events last season, there were 13 pairs on the JGP, with one having already had two assignments)
We may see some of the new teams at Budapest and gdansk

One example is sitkova / kuback who will skate in both due to a statement by Slovak fsf

Hopefully the Ukrainians Hungarians swiss and new Czech teams go there

midori green

On the Ice
(And both Luka Berulava and Kieran Thrasher have done the JGP with their former partners, but their new partners have not done any JGPs so far)
Andy Deng also competed in JGP with his former partner last season. (His new partner, Adele Zheng, switched to pairs from singles.)

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Andy Deng also competed in JGP with his former partner last season. (His new partner, Adele Zheng, switched to pairs from singles.)
You're absolutely right, and I really don't know how I forgot, considering I really liked Smith/Deng and even indirectly mwnrioned them at rhe very end (they were the only team that did back-to-back JGP assignments last seaaon). 😅

We may see some of the new teams at Budapest and gdansk

One example is sitkova / kuback who will skate in both due to a statement by Slovak fsf

Hopefully the Ukrainians Hungarians swiss and new Czech teams go there
Yes, I'm expecting that too, the latter two JGPs always tend to have (slightly) larger starter fields in pairs, as countries who didn't send anyone before often send them here (as well as the second assignment for many, of course). Any word on Cohen/Vochozka? Will they be joining their compatriots at the last two JGPs with pairs?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
There's currently a pairs skating seminar happening in Oberstdorf and we're being treated to some new pictures like always: https://eislauffotos.de/piwigo/index.php?/category/2297

There are Ines Moudden/Alejandro Lazaro Garcia (JGP Istanbul) and Carolina Shan/Pau Vilella Sirvent (probably will be assigned to JGP Gdansk) from Spain, Aliyah Ackermann/Tobija Harms from Germany (JGP Linz and JGP Budapest), the new Hungarian team of Nora Rothenbühler/Mozes Jozsef Berei and Giorgia Burin/Alberto Tommasi who previously competed for Italy, but are labeled as Swiss here - They are also not eligible for juniors because they competed at neither a JGP stage nor Jr Worlds last season.

Furthermore, Violetta Sierova/Ivan Khobta (UKR) were also there, but training with the senior teams.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Two of these pairs (in bold) competing tomorrow and Saturday at CQE are in Skate Canada Next Gen team and are getting JGP events... for those interested. I believe all 5 of these teams are new partnerships... the first 3 for sure.

Ariano Kent Martina Junior Couple Town of Mount-Royal LC
Laliberté-Laurent Charly Junior Couple Boucherville RS

Callahan Beau Junior Couple EPJM RS
Roch Christophe Junior Couple St-Basile-le-Grand RS

Desrochers Jazmine Junior Couple Skate oakville ON
Thrasher Kieran Junior Couple Skate Oakville ON

Quattrocchi Julia Junior Couple Les Lames d'Argent LV
Desmarais Simon Junior Couple Ville-Marie MC

Rolland Noémie Junior Couple St-Eustache LO
Lacasse Etienne Junior Couple Ste-Foy/Sillery/Cap-Rouge CAC

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
France, Germany and Slovakia's entries for the last two JGPs:

Budapest:
Ehrhard / Pellegris
Télémaque / Coulon
Ackermann / Harms
Sitková / Kubacák

Poland:
Löwenherz / Löwenherz
Steblyanka / Gneiding
Sitková / Kubacák

Aliyah Ackermann has my undying admiration for being a skater with glasses.

It is possible that Sierova / Khobta will concentrate on senior Challenger events this season. Doing double duty last season may have been their undoing at Worlds.

I know this is so two weeks ago, but here are the SPs for the Chinese pairs, from their interclub event on July 28:

Wenning SHI / Zhiyu WANG (SP 46.36, FS 95.88 = 142.24) - choreography by Wenjing Sui
Yixi YANG / Shunyang DENG (SP 43.86, FS 97.75? = 141.61)
Yunjie WANG / Helin LIU (SP 38.14, FS 76.41 = 114.55) - choreography by Wenjing Sui

Holy Yang / Deng's Brasseur / Eisler one-armed star lift, Batman! Directly into sbs spins, which he unfortunately but not surprisingly muffed. Hope they re-choreograph him some recovery time between these two elements.

Last edited:

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada

This was nice to wake up to! UKR vs GEO should be an interesting match-up. Four pairs that are new to the JGP, including the Aussie team. Canada leaving room for another team to join Desrochers / Thrasher in Poland.

On the other hand, geez, USA, what does a team need to do to get an assignment? And China wastes a spot; which pair(s), if any, will they send to Poland?

I'm wondering if Canada will send Behnke / Sauve and Callahan / Roch to the John Nicks event and send the higher finisher to Poland. Also, will the USA use that event to see if Fletcher / Felberbaum are competition ready for the last JGP?