2023-24 Junior Pairs | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Junior Pairs

happycamper2554

On the Ice
They'll send nobody. There were no substitutes listed, so it's unfortuntely impossible for the US to replace W/L.
This is what’s annoying to me about usfs. Even if they arent on isp as long as they are age eligible I would naming everyone and their mother just so I had options. Now we have none.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Does the ISU rule state that you can only replace the original skaters with the list of substitutes submitted? In this case where no substitutes were listed, the USFS cannot reach out to others (Zheng/Deng, etc) to send out? Not familiar with ISU rules on substitution and trying to understand if this is an issue of very shallow pairs bench or because of the rules.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is what’s annoying to me about usfs. Even if they arent on isp as long as they are age eligible I would naming everyone and their mother just so I had options. Now we have none.
USFS has lost their ever loving minds. They named TEN substitutes to the next JGP Junior men. Is that just to make them feel better, because there's no way 9 US men are going to WD. Are they not allowed to substitute for Challengers? And I love Bradie but can someone from USFS not monitor her, this is the 2nd time she's WD? Does USFS need me to help them? I'll do it for Nationals tickets and credentials.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Are they really not allowed to put new teams on the roster just because they didn't name any substitutes?

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Apparently, 13 junior pairs signed up for the 2023 - 2024 National Qualifying Series (skaters must sign up for the series first before their scores can be listed in the NQS standings).

However, only 10 are in the NQS standings right now. So, 3 teams still have not competed in the NQS.

Only 1 junior pairs team in Broadmoor, and that's Carpenter/Maravilla

There are 4 junior pair teams competing in Boston. Will we see the 3 teams that signed up for the series but haven't competed as yet?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How do you count teams who aren't eligible to compete as Juniors or Seniors Internationally? The level they are competing at Nationally?

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
New junior pair team to debut in Boston NQS: William Church and Sage Purther (?). William used to skate with his sister. they train in Michigan and Chicago

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New junior pair team to debut in Boston NQS: William Church and Sage Purther (?). William used to skate with his sister. they train in Michigan and Chicago
Yes I remember William and his sister. What happened to her? Margaret?

yuki@thelake

On the Ice

5 Junior Pairs team competing in Boston. So far, these are the teams I know are going - unless they scatch:

Cayla Smith / Jared McPike (debut)
Sage Purther / William Church (debut)
Saya Carpenter / Jon Maravilla - may withdraw and not do pairs to focus on singles.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

5 Junior Pairs team competing in Boston. So far, these are the teams I know are going - unless they scatch:

Cayla Smith / Jared McPike (debut)
Sage Purther / William Church (debut)
Saya Carpenter / Jon Maravilla - may withdraw and not do pairs to focus on singles.

Cayla :jump: Hopefully, they'll send out a few more of the junior teams, and don't leave getting Jr Worlds minimums to the last second like last season. The US has three spots after all, and only two teams with minimums, and Naomi Williams has a serious ankle injury that could keep them from competing at all this season (though I hope not).

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Cayla :jump: Hopefully, they'll send out a few more of the junior teams, and don't leave getting Jr Worlds minimums to the last second like last season. The US has three spots after all, and only two teams with minimums, and Naomi Williams has a serious ankle injury that could keep them from competing at all this season (though I hope not).
Naomi had surgery for a torn ligament. I saw her in Broadmoor in a cast and crutches but she seemed to be in high spirits. She watched the pairs events. She said she tuned out everything about the JGP but is hopeful she can return in November for the pairs finals.

MarcusinOz

Spectator
Technically, I think Golubeva / Giotopoulos Moore could still participate in 2024 (although I don't think they will) seeing as Hektor's birthdate is within 2 days of Tobija.
Schmitz / Taylor as well?
I suppose my question is how is Tobija skating as a Junior since he turned 21 before 1 July?

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I suppose my question is how is Tobija skating as a Junior since he turned 21 before 1 July?
I'm not sure whether this is a genuine question, or an attempt to reopen the age debate which caused quite a bit of friction and upset on a previous thread. In case it is the former, the ISU has a temporary rule amendment which allows partnerships who competed internationally last year to continue as juniors for this year if the male has aged out of juniors but the female is not yet age eligible for seniors. Ackermann and Harms are one of the pairs this applies to. The level of competition they needed to have competed at was defined in the amendment - I think it might have been JGP and/or world championships, but I can't remember for certain off the top of my head.

I am not wishing to reopen the previous debate about this issue as I am aware some members found the previous discussion upsetting.