2023-24 Russian Grand Prix - Stage 6 - Moscow | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Grand Prix - Stage 6 - Moscow

KhinSuShein

Rinkside
The age limit was lifted to 17. The gap is going to narrow naturally.
Yes. It seems that The ISU's new rule hit hard the Russian girls. I hope that it won't impact greatly. Even if they skate better than others girls, require to keep safe gap.

Remilia

On the Ice
The reaction from Muraviova is understandable how many more chance at gold does she have before the body changes? The pressure is so intense. 9 months of training comes down to 4-5 attempted ultra-c jumps. She failed on all three, gambled on the second one in the free skate and failed couldn't have gone worse for her. I assume she did this out of frustration and against the coach's wishes.

But like I explained above, this is the greatness of Valieva. The pressure with which she has to deal with every day let alone in competition is unimaginable and somehow has to process this as still a 17 year old child. Not that I don't have compassion for Muraviova in this difficult moment.
Mura is already like, an inch or two taller than Kamila, lol. She'll be 18 next year, so while she might fill out a bit more, it's probably safe to say she's done growing (most girls stop growing at like, 15. The only reason this is the exception for the Eteri girls is due to delayed puberty). If she is unable to restore her 3A, it won't be because of body changes. But she is clearly still capable of landing the jump, so the falls here were probably mostly due to nerves.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes. It seems that The ISU's new rule hit hard the Russian girls. I hope that it won't impact greatly. Even if they skate better than others girls, require to keep safe gap.
That rule doesn't change anything, really, except what a person wants to watch, Juniors, Seniors or both. If one always watched both or watched figure skating for more than just women, then...zero figs given. In the immortal words of Lakernik, Trust me, that's not a problem. Seriously, if there is any country that can field a woman for a figure skating competition in any age range, no matter how narrowly or artificially defined, that's Russia.

KhinSuShein

Rinkside
That rule doesn't change anything, really, except what a person wants to watch, Juniors, Seniors or both. If one always watched both or watched figure skating for more than just women, then...zero figs given. In the immortal words of Lakernik, Trust me, that's not a problem. Seriously, if there is any country that can field a woman for a figure skating competition in any age range, no matter how narrowly or artificially defined, that's Russia.
That's good, I also think that Sofia Muravieva's fall on 3A is related to her anxiety and stress.

Skating91

Medalist
Mura is already like, an inch or two taller than Kamila, lol. She'll be 18 next year, so while she might fill out a bit more, it's probably safe to say she's done growing (most girls stop growing at like, 15. The only reason this is the exception for the Eteri girls is due to delayed puberty). If she is unable to restore her 3A, it won't be because of body changes. But she is clearly still capable of landing the jump, so the falls here were probably mostly due to nerves.
No, Kamila is like an inch or two taller than Muraviova. Please, do some research.

No, most girls don't stop growing at 15 especially in high level sport where puberty is generally delayed a year or two in all female athletes. Mao Shimada is 15, Isabeau Levito is 16, are you telling me they have stopped growing they won't get any taller or develop in any way over the next two years?

Skating91

Medalist
Valieva already had her melt down while Mura took gold. She dropped a 3Lz here too. I've always spoken positively about Valieva's mentality but I dont think this season is the evidence of that. Also Muravieva's body changed long ago. Shes fully grown. She will either have a 3A or not but if she does then she isnt losing it to growth any time soon.
Valieva hasn't had a meltdown she fell on two quad attempts at both stages (but both almost rotated landed one in a warm up), then in the free skate of Kazan jumped a sequence that was against the rules (this in on the coaches since the second sequence was part of the planned content), then given a suspect second fall for her slide. Take the sequence and suspect fall away she has one silver and one gold hardly a meltdown in the toughest competition in the world.

Muraviova is not fully grown she will not be that size at age 25 but Kamila will be more or less than same size as now.