2023-24 US Ice Dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 US Ice Dance

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@BlissfulSynergy I remember Lorraine and Quinn catching my eye during the 2015-16 season. They had a perfect season and were poised to take on the senior scene very well. They didn't do terribly their 3 seasons they were on the senior circuit. A few medals from international competitions, 1 GP medal, and a pewter medal at 2019 Nationals (I was thrilled). Then April 2020 came with the news of Quinn retiring. I was so sad that I was never going to see the two of them skate together in person. When I saw Lorraine got a new partner, I was excited to see what the future held. It started off alright. And I did like what I saw, but it just never was up there. I tried to brush it off, but towards the end of their partnership, I came to the acceptance that their partnership wasn't working. It's a shame. I really hope Lorraine finds a partner and continues skating. But the US field is getting more and more crowded by the day that the parking spaces might end up full. I wish them the best of luck for what the future lies ahead for them.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@BlissfulSynergy I remember Lorraine and Quinn catching my eye during the 2015-16 season. They had a perfect season and were poised to take on the senior scene very well. They didn't do terribly their 3 seasons they were on the senior circuit. A few medals from international competitions, 1 GP medal, and a pewter medal at 2019 Nationals (I was thrilled). Then April 2020 came with the news of Quinn retiring. I was so sad that I was never going to see the two of them skate together in person. When I saw Lorraine got a new partner, I was excited to see what the future held. It started off alright. And I did like what I saw, but it just never was up there. I tried to brush it off, but towards the end of their partnership, I came to the acceptance that their partnership wasn't working. It's a shame. I really hope Lorraine finds a partner and continues skating. But the US field is getting more and more crowded by the day that the parking spaces might end up full. I wish them the best of luck for what the future lies ahead for them.
Totally! Quinn & Lorraine had some beautiful programs in their final seasons together, that were so special. The biggest problems were injuries and the stacked field at U.S. Nationals. I think Quinn& Lorraine placed as high as fifth at Nationals -- oh I see you mentioned it was 4th!!! Yeah, now I remember. That was a cool moment. Plus, my recollection is that they had difficulty being judged fairly internationally in the senior ranks, but maybe that was during their comeback from injury in one of their final seasons. 😢

Right, it never did quite come together for Lorraine and Anton. The physical match was not the best, and Lorraine's skills were always a cut above, which made it a bit awkward, no matter how much Anton worked to improve.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I mentioned this in the retirements/splits/new partnerships thread, but Jonathan Rogers and Jeffrey Chen will be senior US male ice dancers next year (that have some height). Lorraine, however, already has a considerable amount of senior experience.
Jonathan Rogers might be a good fit for Lorraine. I wonder if she will stick with current coaches or seek out a new training environment? I do not see Jeffrey Chen as a good match for Lorraine. In any case, Jeff appears committed to his partnership with Yahli Pedersen, who will be 17 in April 2024. Thus, they will have no problem moving to seniors together next season.

Perhaps Anton, who is 25, can find a younger partner in solo dance, as Jeff did. Or else, search for a new partner in other countries.

Here's a 2022 video of Jonathan Rogers with his former partner in juniors, Vanessa Pham:

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jonathan Rogers might be a good fit for Lorraine. I wonder if she will stick with current coaches or seek out a new training environment? I do not see Jeffrey Chen as a good match for Lorraine. In any case, Jeff appears committed to his partnership with Yahli Pedersen, who will be 17 in April 2024. Thus, they will have no problem moving to seniors together next season.

Perhaps Anton, who is 25, can find a younger partner in solo dance, as Jeff did. Or else, search for a new partner in other countries.

Here's a 2022 video of Jonathan Rogers with his former partner in juniors, Vanessa Pham:

I loved Pham and Rogers. 🥲

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'll certainly stake money on C/B winning U.S. Nationals!!! You betcha! No other team is gonna come close to winning over C/B. It's not like Hub/ Don are unretired. 🤣😂

Past C/B winning, who knows? 🙅🙈🙊🙀

I asked if anyone had guesses, not necessarily predictions. 🙃 Anyway, I suppose most fans are waiting for the GS contest to launch before sharing their actual top five U.S. ice dance predictions. 😉🫡
There have been times when H/B should have beaten C/B and I hope they do it this time.

muptgirl

On the Ice
Hawayek and Baker are taking rest of season off and reevaluating the future. Nationals is going to be even more interesting for who becomes #2 and #3 in US ice dance

dancelion21

On the Ice
Grace Yi / Danila Savelev withdrew from US Nats 2 days ago

The starting order has also been posted for the junior rhythm dance

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
There have been times when H/B should have beaten C/B and I hope they do it this time.
Sadly, we won't get to see H/B at Nationals. 😢 Even if we had, realistically, Cho/Bat have won all season long. With several strong teams at the top, it will usually be the well-established veteran team who have been winning internationally that will prevail. The only time that is not the case is when there are very close in ability, proven championship teams. Under those circumstances, it's a toss-up and could go either way, as we saw re the battles between C/B and Hub/Don.

Last edited:

SorrySkater

On the Ice
True confession. I never really got Car/Pom until this year. Now I’m a huge fan. I love what their new coaching team has done for them. We may not get to enjoy Madison Hubbell any more as an ice dancer, but she lives on through her coaching. Also, I probably would’ve had Gr/Pa in 4th after the short.
USA has amazing depth in ice dance!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True confession. I never really got Car/Pom until this year. Now I’m a huge fan. I love what their new coaching team has done for them. We may not get to enjoy Madison Hubbell any more as an ice dancer, but she lives on through her coaching. Also, I probably would’ve had Gr/Pa in 4th after the short.
USA has amazing depth in ice dance!
Next year US ice dance gets even deeper with the Junior champions N/M who already skate like Seniors and would have done very well in this competition. They have it all the speed ice coverage and skating skills and height difference that some US Junior teams have lacked in the past.

Last edited:

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Carreira/Ponomarenko won bronze at 4CC while Zingas/Kolesnik were closely behind in fourth and Green/Parsons were in 6th.
I believe this result justifies the USFSA’s decision to send Bratti/Somerville to Worlds instead of Green/Parsons. Did someone mention that Parsons is recovering from an injury? That would explain a lot.

happycamper2554

On the Ice

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
TPTB must be factoring in the body of work for Gr/Par. They were fourth at Nationals and have competed more often than Z/K. Also I know Emilea and possibly Vadym have ongoing health concerns. That might be a factor.

Weathergal

Medalist
TPTB must be factoring in the body of work for Gr/Par. They were fourth at Nationals and have competed more often than Z/K. Also I know Emilea and possibly Vadym have ongoing health concerns. That might be a factor.
What ongoing health concerns do they have?