2023 Cup of China Women's Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Women's Short Program

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Really? Many of the stuffie fell on the judges lap?? :laugh2:

The judges must be unhappy though... and I hope no one was hurt in any way. I wonder if they're going to ban throwing stuff from behind the judges after this.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Watanabe actually had the cleanest skate, but I’m not sure she should be first. Hendrickx was faster, but she absolutely shouldn’t be above 70. 66-68 should be her score. This was another underwhelming women’s event. Hopefully the men are better like they were last week.

icewhite

Record Breaker
yeah, I mean I've said it before, it's just all too much for me, the costumes in both the short and free plus the very aggressive flirting with the judges, while the choreo especially in the free is lacking
her whole focus this season seems to be on being sexy
her skating is still very, very good, but they are pushing this too much for my taste

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Protocols are up!

Rinka got double qs on her combo, hence her lower score...
Loena actually got a q on her 3T and lost a level on 2 spins, it's really her PCS that's vaulting her up. She got 9.07 for presentation, so clearly all the judges love her performance (except for J1 who gave 7.75 😂)

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think it makes sense. The board thing IMO is much more likely to appeal to the average western person than average Japanese woman. 😅

yeah, but I took a closer look and she gave everyone low PCS, so she didn't bury Loena

I wonder if the strategy pays off or if it's just propping up the top girls Loena and Isabeau. Anyway I find it annoying, her presentation was not that much better.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Why isn't this thread showing under 2023 Cup of China heading? 🤔

Another bust for ladies' predictions. I knew I should have picked Watanabe despite her problems at her prior GP. And Yelim, Yelim!? And when will Maddie get consistent??

Boy, the South Koreans, Cha, Haien, and Yelim, are off to less than stellar starts this season, to say the least!

Dawn825

Medalist
Is skating scored ok? There's no enhanced protocol up for either the dance or the ladies.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I agree with Loena being ahead. Loena has strong presentation. There's not great competition here for Loena, honestly, what with Yelim performing poorly. Watanabe just eked out that 3/3 combo, and her PCS are not better than Loena's. It is what it is. Loena's score would be much higher with the double axel. Without any points for a 2-axel, 70 is definitely reasonable IMO. 🤷🏽‍♀️

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Boy, the South Koreans, Cha, Haien, and Yelim, are off to less than stellar starts this season, to say the least!
On The Runthrough podcast, Ashley Wagner and Adam Rippon pointed out how a lot of the other skaters, namely Kaori and Loena, appear to have peaked early in the season. Last year, they were quite inconsistent throughout the GP series but brought it for Worlds. This year, they both seem to be on fire now, but Ashley/Adam (and I) worry about them keeping that consistency for another five months. Haein and Yelim, on the other hand, are off to a slow start but Yelim is recovering from injury and Haein really picked it up in the last half of the season. I could see Jun trying that strategy as well, especially with trying more quads. Essentially, doing the training needed to skate cleanly is demanding on the body, especially for the men, and can lead to exhaustion later in the season. It will be interesting to see how all of these skaters develop later on.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I agree with Loena being ahead. Loena has strong presentation. There's not great competition here for Loena, honestly, what with Yelim performing poorly. Watanabe just eked out that 3/3 combo, and her PCS are not better than Loena's. It is what it is. Loena's score would be much higher with the double axel. Without any points for a 2-axel, 70 is definitely reasonable IMO. 🤷🏽‍♀️

The PCS were not okay in comparison to the scores the others got.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The PCS were not okay in comparison to the scores the others got.
Your opinion, which is how you see it. Figure skating judging is always gonna be questioned and debated. It certainly is not always fair. But here, Loena got no credit on one element. Her presentation was still impeccable, and much stronger IMO, than the rest of the field. Somewhat similar to Adam Siao Him Fa entirely missing scores for a botched quad in his sp, but landing in second on the strength of his other elements, and his overall presentation. Reputation combined with performance ability, often plays a role in the judges' perceptions.

macy

Record Breaker
i haven't watched the event yet, but those protocols are interesting. i am surprised Loena got a 70 with her missed axel. she seems to have reached the point in her career where she's "proved" herself worthy of the judges' favor and they are gifting her when maybe she should have been 2-3 points lower (we all know there are at least a couple every season...). her PCS were very high, too high for this point in the season and for having a totally missed, zero point element. She's definitely proved herself to be a top skater over the last couple of years, so i guess more power to her. not her fault by any means.

i certainly hope she and Kaori haven't/had peaked yet- I'm expecting a mid season lull for both of them so they can come back on the up side for worlds.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I could see Jun trying that strategy as well, especially with trying more quads.
Sure, but I would not call it 'strategy,' when a skater is not in top form at the beginning of the season. Jun just has to hope he will improve, as he has tended to do. Lots of strong men though, as usual. So, Jun will def need to pick it up. On the women's side, there are plenty of strong females too, so the same goes for Haien and Yelim. It's not over yet, but my predictions in ladies and men at CoC are shot. It's really hard to predict placements when there are so many great talents who may or may not perform at their best.

Joekaz

On the Ice
sorry but no. this is just wrong, you can't be in first with such a big mistake. i almost never complain about scores but that's not a 70
Agree. 70 for that is criminal. Change the name and that gets low 60s. Joke. And did a single girl here not cheat the pick on takeoff for their combo jump? So far this season it looks like the fix is in for Sakamoto /Hendrix /Levito.

Skating91

Medalist
Too bad about the popped Axel - Otherwise, it was a strong skate. However, I don't like the music, and you can add me to the list of people who are not fans of the section where she's touching the boards by the judges. :p It just seems so exhibition-y. I also didn't feel that she performed much until she got the 3-3 out of the way.
She had a blank expression at all until the jumps were out of the then became expressive.

The second half of the program was a good recovery. It seemed sharper than at Skate America.

One judge gave three 9.25 it's kind of absurd. That's getting towards perfectly executed, technically complex program in world record territory.

Quite lucky to be getting 1's from three of the judges for that combo the lutz was a little wild as well.

To be honest, these barely there outfit are a good tactic because would she capture our or the judges attention otherwise? To be fair, the second half of the program was strong and suited Loena's strengths, but with a conservative dress or her bare skin (there's a lot of it) filled in with flesh coloured material, and wearing tights like Kurakova, would the program make any impact? PCS would probably be around Kim, above Petrokina.

Tomorrow will be interesting she had many landing problems in the free skate of Skate America (judges didn't ding her for any of them of course), problems in this short program, any debate over the scoring will not matter at the end of the year if the jumps do not improve.