2023 Japan Open | Oct 7 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2023 Japan Open | Oct 7

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Now that I think on it... when was the last time any non-US North American in the singles disciplines were in any invite only (JO, show etc) event in Japan? I think it was Elladj, can't remember when though.

And it's only a very small number of favoured US ones too, I can only think of about four or maybe five, the 'trendy' names of the moment. The invitations seem to have simply shrunk.

And am I opening a can of worms I shouldn't? (I'd like to see Kevin, and Elladj again.)
I cannot answer you because I don't follow shows... even Stars on Ice, I tend to look and just tune out. But Japan Open is a competition which is supposed to field a North American team... unless they just want to go ahead and say that it's a USA team... which actually would be fine by me in some ways... it's the concept that USA skaters make the entire North American team that irks me. As others have mentioned, when was the last time a Mexican skater was invited ? :)

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I truly apologize for any upset I caused. I can assure you... the lack of Canadian skaters certainly annoys me as well. When I said I want three countries, I meant it. Donovan getting an invite but not a Canadian would frustrate the heck out of me. While I love Donovan and would love to see him there, I said three countries because i mean THREE COUNTRIES. I would see it as symbolically growing the sport... and that does not work when you just swap countries. I promise I am 100% on team include Canada at the JO.
no worries. I know you meant well. In an ideal world, Japan Open would also include other Asian countries like Korea, China etc, as well as Mexico and Canada... This being said, I really like Japanese skaters and I hope some of them will come to Autumn Classic like in the past.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When the competition sponsors are putting up 200K in prize money, they aren't patting themselves on the back for "equity". And they can call it Team Whatever They Want. ;)

No one wants to see Donovan invited to competitions more than I do. No one. Come join us in his Fan Fest. :) But what *current* show or competitive American skater should he be invited before? Which *current* Canadian competitive or show skater should be invited before, let us say, Ilia and Jason? I suppose there is an argument for Keegan, but going strictly by results? and what if the team were Nathan and Ilia?

Were posters saying Team Europe should be renamed when it was nothing but Russian Women? Who else should have been invited?

It's the Japan Open not Worlds. :biggrin:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I’m not sure this is particularly realistic but I’d love it if Daisuke did some kind of exhibition skate or the like!
I'd like them to try and get Mao Asada.

I cannot answer you because I don't follow shows... even Stars on Ice, I tend to look and just tune out. But Japan Open is a competition which is supposed to field a North American team... unless they just want to go ahead and say that it's a USA team... which actually would be fine by me in some ways... it's the concept that USA skaters make the entire North American team that irks me. As others have mentioned, when was the last time a Mexican skater was invited ? :)

Oh I agree with you, but isn't JO really a cheesefest with one of the pr companies having a sizeable say in who gets invited? That doesn't make it not great fun for the skaters and the audience but it's not really a competition per se, more an ice show dressed up as a comp, so nothing about it is 'real'.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When the competition sponsors are putting up 200K in prize money, they aren't patting themselves on the back for "equity". And they can call it Team Whatever They Want. ;)

No one wants to see Donovan invited to competitions more than I do. No one. Come join us in his Fan Fest. :) But what *current* show or competitive American skater should he be invited before? Which *current* Canadian competitive or show skater should be invited before, let us say, Ilia and Jason? I suppose there is an argument for Keegan, but going strictly by results? and what if the team were Nathan and Ilia?

Were posters saying Team Europe should be renamed when it was nothing but Russian Women? Who else should have been invited?

look, I am fine with what you are saying ;) about we pay the money, we invite whomever we want to...
and yes, Canadian men suck right now and that is completely fine that they are not invited... though Keegan has had similar results as some others on the American team... So, I will give you this, for this year... forget the Canadians... fine.. but it wasn't always the case you know, since 2015... and you cannot say that Kaetlyn and Gabby didn't deserve at least one outing. Kaetlyn is a freaking world champion, Gabby a world medalist and Olympic champion... cannot say this of Jason or Bradie or Bebe Liang or whatever.

The point is that if they want to invite only American skaters, they can call it team USA. It's sort of annoying for Canadians to always have to say "look up North, we exist too... !!! We are a different country... not the 51st state of the USA! I think it's a feeling some Americans may not understand.. It's about our national identity :)

Europeans would complain if only French skaters or only Italian skaters or only Russian skaters were invited... it's all the same...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'd like them to try and get Mao Asada.

Oh I agree with you, but isn't JO really a cheesefest with one of the pr companies having a sizeable say in who gets invited? That doesn't make it not great fun for the skaters and the audience but it's not really a competition per se, more an ice show dressed up as a comp, so nothing about it is 'real'.
yeah.. it's a cheese fest. :) even more so than WTT :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I think there is a valid argument for Madeline Schizas. Right now she is ranked higher than any USA lady other than Isabeau. Last year, I think she should have gotten an invite over 2 not competing that season skaters (I know Mirai was a last minute replacement, but honestly i would have gone with Madeline over Bradie as well).

I also think in 2017 when Canada had two reigning world medalists that they really should have had a spot there.

As for Russia.... well they last had a man there when Canada did.

mikeko666

Final Flight
The organizer should change Team North America to Team Four Continents, so skaters from other Asian countries like South Korea can participate.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
yeah.. it's a cheese fest. :) even more so than WTT :)

There you go. It's not really a competition per se, more a photo and publicity op with a bit of skating and 'judging' thrown in to try and make it look competitionish. Again like a show, the invites go to who are both Big (or Being Aimed at Big) names both skating and publicity-wise by the management and pr companies who, I believe, have a serious say in it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There you go. It's not really a competition per se, more a photo and publicity op with a bit of skating and 'judging' thrown in to try and make it look competitionish. Again like a show, the invites go to who are both Big (or Being Aimed at Big) names both skating and publicity-wise by the management and pr companies who, I believe, have a serious say in it.
I am fine with that... let's just not pretend though that North America is just the USA. that's all I am saying... If they want to call it Team North America, then invite skaters to represent that territory... If they want to call it team USA, no problem at all with it.. because that's what it is :)

Skating47

On the Ice
The 2023 Japan Open is an annual invitational senior international figure skating team competition set to take place on Oct. 7, 2023, in Saitama, Japan. The current format (team event) was established in 2006 and is the competition is held every autumn in Japan. Invited skaters compete in the disciplines of men's and ladies' singles. Skaters perform a free program but no short. Individual results are combined for a team standing.
I hope that Jason gets invited to the Japan Open again this year.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am starting to wonder if Japan Open should stop with the strict teams. Maybe have Team USA vs Team Korea one year and the next have Team North America (that includes at least three countries!) vs Team World. Team Japan would always be there of course.

This would give both the sponsors more freedom, and open it up to more countries/skaters. And get rid of the illogicality discussed here.

I don't see why it needs to be the same teams each year. It could be fun to mix it up a bit.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Huh? Team Europe was never nothing but Russian women? I remember lots of Javi, some Deniss, and even my old faves Brian Joubert and Tomas Verner, none of whom are Russian (or women ;)).
I remember even Schultheiss(SWE) was invited once.

Calling a team north America is weird if only skaters from US are invited.

My hopes are Keegan, Ilia, Brady and Kaiya(haha, I know it will be Isabeau if she wants to).

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Huh? Team Europe was never nothing but Russian women? I remember lots of Javi, some Deniss, and even my old faves Brian Joubert and Tomas Verner, none of whom are Russian (or women ;)).

Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was talking about the women's division for the comp. Zhenya, Alina, etc etc nothing but Russian women representing the European women.

as much as I would love to see more open boundaries in sport, other than Canada and its non-gender specific pairs and dance, the skating world has not yet adopted it. Certainly not in singles. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sorry, I thought it was obvious I was talking about the women's division for the comp. Zhenya, Alina, etc etc nothing but Russian women representing the European women.

as much as I would love to see more open boundaries in sport, other than Canada and its non-gender specific pairs and dance, the skating world has not yet adopted it. Certainly not in singles. :)
i think it's fine if team Europe is represented by two Russian women and 2 male skaters from other nations... I wouldn't even mind if 3 USA skaters and only 1 Canadian skater (or Mexican skater) represented North America. The issue comes when only ONE nation takes all 4 spots on the entire team.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think it's fine if team Europe is represented by two Russian women and 2 male skaters from other nations... I wouldn't even mind if 3 USA skaters and only 1 Canadian skater (or Mexican skater) represented North America. The issue comes when only ONE nation takes all 4 spots on the entire team.

I agree in a perfect world there should be wider representation.

But Japan Open, unlike the (sometimes maligned yet loved by the skaters themselves) World Team Trophy, does not count toward anything. The scores are not counted. They only skate one program.

It is a hybrid, show and competition, much like the pro competitions of yore. And if the organizers fronting the money want to call the team "Team Pennsylvania" and invite no one from Pennsylvania, then I'm not bothered. Maybe I am too cynical. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I agree in a perfect world there should be wider representation.

But Japan Open, unlike the (sometimes maligned yet loved by the skaters themselves) World Team Trophy, does not count toward anything. The scores are not counted. They only skate one program.

It is a hybrid, show and competition, much like the pro competitions of yore. And if the organizers fronting the money want to call the team "Team Pennsylvania" and invite no one from Pennsylvania, then I'm not bothered. Maybe I am too cynical. :)
yup...perhaps i care too much... perhaps the issue for me goes beyond figure skating. the funniest part is that we do not know yet who is participating :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope that Jason gets invited to the Japan Open again this year.

Almost a guarantee if he wants it.

This "competition" is about putting butts in seats. Jason is a big draw, especially in Japan.

I get what people are saying about broader international representation and so forth.

Too bad. This event is a case of "he who pays the piper calls the tune."